• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legal question about roadkill...

CT LAW QUESTION
If I hit a beaver, yote, fox, deer or turkey with my car and it dies, would I be allowed to take the animal? I know if I hit a deer my car will be F**ked haha but can I take it as long as I notify law enforcement? The main reason I ask is because my father always said don't kill what you don't intend to eat. No, I wont go Rambo with my Kia or Ford looking for a furry critter to fender-smack but I really wouldn't want to leave it behind. If I took a road-killed Fox home, it would be for the meat and pelt.

What are my legal obligations around taking roadkill? Do I need a permit? Do I need to inform DEP or LE?

Thanks,
Dave

as far as deer go you need to call the epo's and they will come and tag it for you and then you can take it. as far as any other animals I would just call mass wildlife and ask them.

If I took a road-killed Fox home, it would be for the meat and pelt.

just curious, are you wanting to eat the fox?

I suppose you could eat anything if it was fresh, but i would like to hear more about how you would prepare a meal of coyote or fox meat?

I cannot tell you CT law.

I know that I hit a deer up near Georgetown, MA in 2007-ish.

I called the local PD, right after (and before I turned around to check on the deer), because I was not sure if it was dead, or seriously injured (it got hit hard on the rump).

I gave my location, and was told to wait there.

Went back and found the dear = dead, likely twisted/broken neck.

PD came. Gave info. Asked me if I wanted the carcass (I was on my way to a job and couldn't have the thing, on my truck roof). I said "no thanks". So they called the Road Dept.

There's 7,660,000 hits about CT road kill laws on google and the first one answers your question.

here you go, dinner delivered on the Number 32 Bus,,,, might not be as tasty as a coyote though....

Last edited by a moderator:
just curious, are you wanting to eat the fox?

Not sayin', just sayin'

images

The OP is in CT, and this does not apply to that state....

That said, I asked an EPO or MassWildlife person if one could legally take home a road-kill fur-bearer (fox, beaver, etc.) and the answer was NO - you need a permit for it, just as if you trapped it.

Now....would you get jammed up by the EPOs? Who knows? But a buddy of mine is a falconer, and would not give my son a cast-off redtail hawk feather, as you need a license for that, too.

It's not just empty ammo that's strictly controlled, in the PRM

CT LAW QUESTION
If I hit a beaver, yote, fox, deer or turkey with my car and it dies, would I be allowed to take the animal? I know if I hit a deer my car will be F**ked haha but can I take it as long as I notify law enforcement? The main reason I ask is because my father always said don't kill what you don't intend to eat. No, I wont go Rambo with my Kia or Ford looking for a furry critter to fender-smack but I really wouldn't want to leave it behind. If I took a road-killed Fox home, it would be for the meat and pelt.

What are my legal obligations around taking roadkill? Do I need a permit? Do I need to inform DEP or LE?

Thanks,
Dave

I know that for deer you need a tag and it can be issued by an ENCON officer or local PD.

If you join the forum over at CTHuntingnShooting (link below) you can ask a CT EPO as there is an ENCON forum and an ENCON officer will be happy to answer any questions you might have. You could also call DEEP.

Bob

CT Hunting-N-Shooting

ETA:

This is ENCON's answer:

"If the person who hit it doesn't want it then you can ask to take the deer/bear/turkey. Just make sure you have the DKIR form in hand before you put the animal in your vehicle. Without the form you would be in illegal possession and subject to arrest. "

http://www.cthuntingnshooting.com/vBforum/showthread.php?13186-roadkill-tag-2nd-hand/page2

Bob

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom