Lefty .22's?

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
My son writes right handed but is left eye dominant so he's shooting lefty. My wife and I are left-handed as well.

We have a youth rifle but I'm thinking of stepping up to a magazine fed .22 or even semi auto.

How's the Ruger 10/22 for lefties? Any other suggestions? We have a Savage Cub-T and they have lefty models of the magazine rifles, but I'm open to suggestion. I've been shooting a Mossberg 44US which is awfully big and heavy for wives and kids.

I'm a lefty.

No prolems running my 10/22s. There is a left handed safety available for the 10/22, but I don't think it's necessary.

I also have a Savage MKII in a left hand action and I like it a lot!

I too am right handed, left eye. I shoot all my long guns left handed. The 10/22 or any semi auto works great. In fact if you want to start with a bolt action, run it left handed and use the right support hand for the action. I have one left hand bolt gun,can't run it worth a damn.

Last edited:
I am a lefty and have a Marlin 795. Works great, just need to make sure that my right is far enough down the barrel so as to not get clipped by some hot brass.

I shoot a 10/22 lefty with no problems. I also shoot lever and pump rifles from my left shoulder. The only action that may seem odd is a right handed bolt gun but all my bolt actions are right handed. I just got used to it.

Most semi-autos, pumps and levers I've tried lefty have worked for me - usually the safety is the only issue. 10/22 safeties can be replaced or modified to work lefty, but if the majority shooting it are right handed I'd leave the safety alone. Some semiauto 22LRs will spit powder on lefties - he needs to always wear eye protection. My dad has a Marlin 60 that will leave powder all over my face with HV ammo, which probably just needs a new mainspring.

Savage makes good lefty bolt action 22s, at a reasonable price. For a bit more money, the CZ452 and Browning T-Bolt are available in left hand.

I also am right handed but left eye dominant. I have no problem with 10/22's. I also own this Savage and just love it:

DSC_1977.jpg

I was thinking the exact same thing.
Feeds through the buttstock and ejects out the bottom.
A true ambidextrous .22 take-down rifle.
Very lightweight too, disassembles in 3 seconds and fits in a padded case 20"x10"x3".
I actually have the Norinco clone which was only about $100 new when I bought it.
Unfortunately they don't import them anymore, but the last one I saw at a gun show (used) was going for $150.
Also, genuine Browning parts fit just fine, although Browning isn't very happy about it.
I broke an extractor on mine, my fault, didn't pull back the bolt when I went to twist the barrel off. I got a Browning one and it worked just fine, but the package did say in a strongly worded message "Only To Be Used In Genuine Browning Firearms".
Yeah right [wink]
The only down side to this design is when you're shooting from a bench, the bottom ejecting shells bounce off the bench and can end up in your face or down your shirt.

I have a 10/22 with a pistol grip stock and it is fine shooting lefty. I have a Marlin that dumps brass on my shoulder when I shoot it lefty. I shoot either hand depending on my mood. I carry on my left side which seems to be my strong hand.

I have a Walther G22 set up in leftie. It can be set to shoot in either configuration. My son forgot last time he shot it, and it promptly split his lip with the bolt. I think he's paying better attention to those details now...

nice little gun, and a bullpup for the neato kids' factor.

Remington used to make a .22 bolt action, the 581. I still have the one I got when I was just a kid. Great little rifle. You can find them around here and there. They take a 5 or 10 round magazine.

I'm a die hard lefty and own a number of lefty rifles and shotguns. The 10/22 and AR15 have never posed a problem for me as a left hand shooter

My son writes right handed but is left eye dominant so he's shooting lefty. My wife and I are left-handed as well.

We have a youth rifle but I'm thinking of stepping up to a magazine fed .22 or even semi auto.

How's the Ruger 10/22 for lefties? Any other suggestions? We have a Savage Cub-T and they have lefty models of the magazine rifles, but I'm open to suggestion. I've been shooting a Mossberg 44US which is awfully big and heavy for wives and kids.

same here. Im right handed, but left eye dominant.

the 10/22 is fine. they even sell thumb hole stocks for lefties. (not easy to find)

all the rifles i have a right handed, specially all my Military rifles.

if you want a nice .22LR lefty, go look at CZ USA. they are one of the few companies that offer almost every caliber (ALMOST, NOT ALL) in a left handed rifle. And they are awesome rifles.

Let me be the desenting vote. I've shot right handed bolt actions and it's a real PITA having to reach over the top. Add a scope and it just sux! I've eaten brass out of a Remington autoloader that belonged to my brother. Tired of having brass hit my face or my head. Why I rarely shot long guns growing up. Stayed with pistols most of my life. Those I shoot right handed by left eyed. I also shoot pistol lefty as well.

When I started hunting I bought a Remington 700 BDL Custom Deluxe in .30-06 LEFT HANDED. My right handed brother (the one with the auto loader) thought I was nuts for spending that kind of money until he tried it. He was dumb founded at what I had to do to shoot a right handed bolt gun.

I own two AR's and they're both left handed.

I'm looking at a Browning "A" Bolt now that's a port sider in .308.

Yeah, I shoot a '73 Lever Gun for SASS and the brass hits me on top of the head but it does it to everybody. We all wear hats with big brims and a high crown.

It's not just the placement of the controls. It's also the cant of the stock. A right handed bolt gun is canted for a right hand shooter. It feels different. It shoots diferent.

A lot of manufacturers are making lefty long guns these day's. They're starting to realize that there are a lot more of us south paws out there than everyone realized.

You might get away with a .22 Lever gun with straight stock if you wear a hat. But if you go big bore, spend the money and get a lefty, you'll never look back.

Back
Top Bottom