Leaving live rounds behind...

The live rounds in the woods may not even be ejected shells. Some of the hunting vests and or belts have loops to hold shotgun rounds. When they have been around for a few seasons the loops can get a little loose so maybe someone is just loosing ammo as they walk. (Have actually had this happen...which really pisses you off when you are pheasant hunting and are 2 miles from your truck) Or maybe they just have a hole in their pocket. As far as the range goes...I have dropped live rounds before without knowing it (roll of the bench or whatever) but that is why I police the area when I am done. Try to leave it cleaner than when I arrived and not leave stuff behind.

i collect brass on the rifle and pistol ranges at my club a few times a year and i average about 50 to 60 live rounds a year. i just think people dont pay enough attention to what they are doing when handling ammo and in the process of loading and unloading weapons.

Well ther's a scary thought!

Back in highschool if we left a round on the range there would be hell to pay. Learned that lesson quick, besides as a kid I paid for most of my own ammo.

Losing a cartridge while hunting? That's just inconceivable.

Obviously it's on a range, but people lose tons of rounds unloading and showing clear at the end of action shooting stages, especially people shooting cheap factory ammo. If I had to guess, about 15% of these rounds are never seen again.

Johnny Ammo Seed???????

[laugh]

I found one .45 live round at my range the other day. I'm always picking up brass at my range. You're supposed to police your own brass but not everyone does. I spend most of my time searching around for good brass and it pays off with the reloads! Kind of like hoofing it in the woods, looking for golf balls, when on the course.

Last edited:
Teenage boys have been known to do stupid things with live rounds involving pipe, vice and hammer. Leaving live rounds hanging around your range is just asking for trouble.

My club uses red painted ammo boxes, bolted to the back bench top, for disposing of duds, etc.

I usually get my share of what ends up in there, and 99% of the time, it's only good for taking apart (components). I always freshen them up with new primers, etc.

One guy left a stash of 45 short colts, loaded with original black powder, and the lead looked very corroded. My guess is that they spent a LONG TIME IN THE WATER.

Brought them home, and pulled the first one apart, and water came out.

When I do the bullet puller exercise in my class, I always toss one of those into the "pull these bowl", and ask the student about what they see.

Back
Top Bottom