• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Learn to Fly Fish with Orvis

http://www.orvis.com/flyfishing101

If you've wanted to try your hand at tossing a fly rod to see if you liked it, this is an opportunity to do so with a couple of accomplished instructors on hand, with gear provided. But you'll only be getting your feet wet figuratively, as the class is held in grassy field.

Overwatch Outpost is hosting one of these NO COST events in Charlemont, MA, on April 29

The Cold River Café, just around the bend from there, is a great spot to grab some eats.

My buddy teaches the 101s up at the Manchester store. People love it, especially kids. You also get some pretty good Orvis coupons. They do a 201 class that is on the water.

http://www.orvis.com/flyfishing101

If you've wanted to try your hand at tossing a fly rod to see if you liked it, this is an opportunity to do so with a couple of accomplished instructors on hand, with gear provided. But you'll only be getting your feet wet figuratively, as the class is held in grassy field.

Overwatch Outpost is hosting one of these NO COST events in Charlemont, MA, on April 29

The Cold River Café, just around the bend from there, is a great spot to grab some eats.

You dont need to take fly fishing lessons. I learn'd from my buddy while fishing in the swift river along the Kagamangus hw. I was chucking meat and he said, "SHIT! we're out of beer!" He drove 10 miles for beer and left me with his fly rod. When he got back I had 3 trout in my vest.
Been fly fishing ever since. HORNBERG is all you need to know for starters. After that, you can think about elk hair caddis and copper johns and so forth.

I started fly fishing 2 years ago; my son and I self-taught using YouTube. I definitely need to improve my technique so that I'm not slapping the fly on the water. Was hoping to get some live instruction somewhere like Orvis or Bean, preferably for free at a Demo Day.

I learned from my uncle in his back yard in the fall of 2015. It took about 30 minutes of work in his backyard with an office rod and some flailing on a lake and then I got the very basics of it.

I watched a few videos with Lefty Kreh (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xak_usK0i6E) and it made me much more proficient. Lefty can cast a country mile and land a fly on a dime - and he has no real arm or shoulder strength anymore due to age and injuries. Watch his videos and practice and you can be proficient.

That said, Orvis and LL Bean are great places to go if you want professional guidance on learning or are having trouble with the basics. I observed a casting class at LL Bean's flagship store in Maine last year and they really have their shit squared away. I'd start there.

Anybody that is looking for some on the river instruction google Marla Blair from what I remember her prices were pretty affordable.

If anyone is interested I will get you started for free. I have taught many of my friends and relatives and I even got my grandson on a fly rod at 8 years old.
Just leave me a message. We can get started as soon as the snow is gone. I will start you out on my lawn and then move to a small lake so you can get the feel of the water loading the rod. I will also teach you some basic knots and what would be a good start selection of fly's and why. We can also discuss what equipment you will need if you decide this is something you are interested in doing. This is an open offer to you NES guys.

Back
Top Bottom