Leaking powder

My Hornady powder dispenser is leaking powder every time it loads a shell.

I called Hornady and all they said was the press must be out of time and the pawls after to be adjusted. But why should that matter when it seats the primers perfectly and rotates the shell plate inserting the shellls with no problem.

So I raised the height of the dispenser slowly from where it was seated. I have to admit it was too low. I raised the powder measure slowly and at each adjustment it still leaked, now it's at it's top level in the collet and it still leaks.

It's half full of W231 and has the long pistol insert in it. I'm trying to get 3.4 gr. load in 38 special. I have to weigh each charge and clean the powder out of the shell plate each time.

Can any one tell me how to fix this.

Last edited:
My Hornady powder dispenser is leaking powder every time it loads a shell.

I called Hornady and all they said was the press must be out of time and the pawls after to be adjusted. But why should that matter when it seats the primers perfectly and rotates the shell plate inserting the shellls with no problem.

So I raised the height of the dispenser slowly from where it was seated. I have to admit it was too low. I raised the powder measure slowly and at each adjustment it still leaked, now it's at it's top level in the collet and it still leaks.

It's half full of W231 and has the long pistol insert in it. I'm trying to get 3.4 gr. load in 38 special. I have to weigh each charge and clean the powder out of the shell plate each time.

Can any one tell me how to fix this.

Yes.......Buy a Dillon. [smile]

Did it always leak? If not, what did you do right before it started to leak? Do you have the correct funnel piece (inside the drop tube) installed for the caliber?

Is the funnel in right side up? The tapered part goes up toward the powder measure and not down toward the cartridge. If you put it in upside down, you get leaks.

Let me clarify:

You get "leaks" with the funnel installed upside down because if you install the funnel with the squared-off (non-countersunk) end up toward the powder measure, it acts as a little "shelf" that'll hold a bit of the charge - this powder will later fall out when you cycle the machine (and look like a leak). Your charges will also be inconsistent.

Right side up, the funnel-shaped countersunk end funnels all of the charge into the case.

After 2 months of repeated calls to Hornady I finally found out why my powder measure was leaking powder. The pistol bushing which go's in it was to long and never finished at the factory.

I kept telling them that the bushing didn't have a tapered end and was over 3 inchs long. Also it didn't match the picture in their users manual.

Yet I was told every time I was doing it wrong and my machine was out of time. Also I didn't clean it right and I should run graphite through it.

I finally got a guy that listened closely to what I was saying.

Their sending me the right part piority mail.

What a pain in the #$%*

After 2 months of repeated calls to Hornady I finally found out why my powder measure was leaking powder. The pistol bushing which go's [sic] in it was to [sic] long and never finished at the factory.

I finally got a guy that listened closely to what I was saying.

Their [sic] sending me the right part piority mail.

What a pain in the #$%*

Maybe you SHOULD have "drunk the Blue Kool-Aid!" [wink]

I hope the new part solves your problem.

Back
Top Bottom