• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lead exposure question

One of the largest risks is breathing it in at indoor ranges. I have stopped shooting inside. A number of my friends shot 2x a week and started getting elevated lead levels. He moved to outside only and it started to come down.
Bring baby wipes to the range as well and wipe your hands and face well before you get into your car. Do not eat or smoke at the range.
Ranges often have brooms that people use to sweep up brass. Being at the range when someone is using one is just about the worse thing you can do. its kicking up all the lead on the floor so you can inhale it.

One of the largest risks is breathing it in at indoor ranges. I have stopped shooting inside. A number of my friends shot 2x a week and started getting elevated lead levels. He moved to outside only and it started to come down.
Bring baby wipes to the range as well and wipe your hands and face well before you get into your car. Do not eat or smoke at the range.
Ranges often have brooms that people use to sweep up brass. Being at the range when someone is using one is just about the worse thing you can do. its kicking up all the lead on the floor so you can inhale it.
This!
I avoid my indoor range at all costs. It’s old as hell and I don’t trust the ventilation.
Plus shooting outdoors in natural daylight, fresh air, not as loud etc, is so much better anyways.

I wipe down my hands with D lead wipes before getting into my car.

And the few times i shoot an indoor USPSA match, I have a specific pair of shoes I wear that I won’t track through the house. I keep them in my basement.

Ideally you’d want to change your clothes (wash them separately) and take a shower upon getting home but I don’t do that. Mainly because I shoot outdoors 99% of the time.

Is the
This!
I avoid my indoor range at all costs. It’s old as hell and I don’t trust the ventilation.
Plus shooting outdoors in natural daylight, fresh air, not as loud etc, is so much better anyways.

I wipe down my hands with D lead wipes before getting into my car.

And the few times i shoot an indoor USPSA match, I have a specific pair of shoes I wear that I won’t track through the house. I keep them in my basement.

Ideally you’d want to change your clothes (wash them separately) and take a shower upon getting home but I don’t do that. Mainly because I shoot outdoors 99% of the time.
is the lead exposure in many indoor ranges that bad?? I go to MF and haven't noticed it being bad. I wash my hands and face afterwards before going home.

Is the

is the lead exposure in many indoor ranges that bad?? I go to MF and haven't noticed it being bad. I wash my hands and face afterwards before going home.
Depends on ammo being used, the air system, type of backstop, and the cleanliness of the range.

A rubber or oil curtain backstop eliminates any lead generated by the rounds shattering. Then the only source is the heel of the bullet being exposed to gas cutting, primers, and residue from the casings. Enough air volume behind you keeps the exposure of airborne particles down to negligible levels, so its just the toxic handoff from spent casings and chamber spray.

TJM vs. FMJ eliminates the gas cutting issue entirely, so it's just the primers contaminating the air and cases. TMJ+lead free primers and a rubber or oil curtain backstop and then even with lead core ammo it's never getting airborne or contaminating the cases so it winds up being just as clean as lead free ammo. This is why more manufacturers are moving towards TMJ with lead free primers for practice ammo. Keeps the bullet cheap with a lead core and keeps in contained so that it never creates any airborne contamination.

Is the

Fascinating and timely subject. This just my opinion, but I believe there is a major difference between a "business shooting range" such as MASS Firearms School in Holliston or The Gun Parlor in Worcester and a private gun range club regarding the proper gun range specific ventilation system. Some clubs have very good ventilation and others... well "not so much". Just as you should be "situational aware", you should be aware of what you are breathing in.

If you shoot or work at an indoor range, get your lead level checked on regular basis. As others have said, it is not very hard to get your lead level checked. I know from personal experience, that once your level is above normal, you should protect yourself and your family from this heavy metal exposure. It is not hard adjust your shooting sessions to lower your exposure and levels.

If you are in doubt about the indoor ventilation of the range you are visiting, then ask. If the business or club can't explain their system of keeping you safe to you, well, then you have the answer.

Jay

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom