Lead bullets

I am starting to reload. I heard that the lead bullet can not be used in a Glock pistol. Do I need to use jacketed bullets?

Not true. I have shot tens of thousands of hard cast lead bullets through glock 21, 22, and 24L with no problems. I have been using lead bullets almost exclusively in these pistols for about fifteen years.

9mm lead bullets can be a problem in Glocks. When I first tried the industry standard .356 hard cast lead bullets, I found that accuracy was poor and that they were key holing at 25yds. A switch to .357 diameter bullets cured the accuracy problems and yielded four inch groups, offhand, at 50 yds.

If I were trying to load 9mm I would borrrow a few .356 bullets to check out this potential accuracy problem. If your results are the same as mine, you will have to find a source of .357 lead bullets or limit your loading to plated and jacketed.

Another potential problem with .356 lead bullets in a Glock would be leading. If the bullets are loose enough in the bore to key hole, they will probably also lead it up. I never fired enough .356 bullets through a Glock for the problem to arise.

Not true. I have shot tens of thousands of hard cast lead bullets through glock 21, 22, and 24L with no problems. I have been using lead bullets almost exclusively in these pistols for about fifteen years.

AFAIK, YMMV on that one... I have heard the complete opposite and you may have been lucky. I mean, we all have Google'd "Glock Kaboom" or "jam-o-matic" and you know what you find.

I do not load (and I should), but I can say that I have not thrown any lead bullets down range since I enjoy the use of all of my digits on my mitts.

Glock does not recommend lead bullets in their barrels. Although I've heard of people shooting them with no issues, yet I also I know a friend just blew up his 21 doing so....after thousands of rounds.

Personally, I would stick with jacketed bullets until you can buy an aftermarket barrel, like Lone Wolf or KKM....there are tons of other manufactures out there. Most are drop in....some require a bit of fitting....

I could me mistaken, and I'm not an expert, but I think case head separation is a problem. Factory Glock barrels do not have a fully supported chamber. This causes bulge and a weak area a cartridge.

Anyone had any experience with plated bullets? I assume you would load them just like lead, so I was curious if they were a good compromise - cheaper than copper jacketed bullets, yet as cheap as lead cast bullets.

I shoot plated or FMJ.
I don't shoot lead simply because I don't want to handle lead directly.
I wouldn't have a problem running it in my gun, but then I'd feel the need to clean the barrel which I don't want to do.

One of the biggest problems with using reloads in a Glock factory barrel is using bad brass. Brass that wasn't too good to start with can cause problems. You should really inspect all your brass before you reload it.

Some brass like Amerc brass is know for blowing up Glocks. The interior walls of the brass at the base is thinner than most other factory brass.

For what it's worth.. It is not reccomended to shoot lead out of ANY polygonal barrell. That goes for Glock, Hk. etc, etc.

That being said and referenced here. Many do (myself included). It seems that the general rule of thumb is to not shoot too much, and be sure to give it a very good cleaning to make sure all of the lead gets removed. The build up seems to be what causes issues and ka booms.

Back
Top Bottom