LDS Cannery

Does anyone know if the LDS Cannery in Worcester allows non members? If not, do any of the LDS Canneries in New England allow non members??

Thanks,

Sean

pretty sure the only cannery is in worcester. More info:

+ nice people

+ they do take credit cards

+ it is a bit of a food pantry with the bulk foods in the back

+ they do have an area that you can seal #10 cans...i bet its mostly in use and needs a reservation

+ I would recommend buying 1 gallon mylar bags and o2 absorbers and just pick up the bulk product to package at home

+ powdered milk *sucks* to package in 1 gallon mylar bags

+ http://store.lds.org is their online store where you can get good deals on mylar and o2 absorbers. Their #10 cans of rice, wheat, etc is a darn good deal!

Not a member of the LDS, but I have great respect for the work they do.

Last edited:
Those prices are pretty good when you compare them with Emergency Essentials. What I have been doing is just buying my own bulk rice and storing it in 2 liter soda bottles. The bottle provide an airtight seal and it's cheaper than using o2 absorbers and mylar / buckets. Another benefit is that it's easier to use and reseal when you are done.

You will probably not get the same shelf life as sealing in a bucket with mylar, but rice is dirt cheap anyway. The #10 cans are great for long term storage but it seems a waste to me for rice, wheat and beans. The only thing I have in #10 cans are the EE freeze dried meats and entrees.

I hate to be the one to say it, but please use search prior to asking. This topic has been covered before. e.g.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/116530-LDS-Bulk-Food-Order-Form
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/80166-AAR-LDS-Storehouse-Worcester

RE: In God We Trust
For short term pantry needs I prefer to use SNAPWARE 127oz Square Grip Airtight Canister. You can get them at Emergency Essentials, Container Store, Sears, etc. http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q...15 cup (120 oz) Square Grip Airtight Canister

They are easy to grab even when full. Fast to open and close. Easy to put food in and to take it out. And take much less space than bottles. I bought some of them on sale as cheap as $5, but normal price is $6-7. For those of you who are like me and almost never drink anything out of 2L bottles, these are a better way. Besides, they likely will outlive me, so $70 for 10 of them spread across many many years is really not much.

PS – I highly recommend EE. Their customer service is top notch. [thumbsup]

Last edited:
I hate to be the one to say it, but please use search prior to asking. This topic has been covered before. e.g.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/116530-LDS-Bulk-Food-Order-Form
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/80166-AAR-LDS-Storehouse-Worcester

RE: In God We Trust
For short term pantry needs I prefer to use SNAPWARE 127oz Square Grip Airtight Canister. You can get them at Emergency Essentials, Container Store, Sears, etc. http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q...15 cup (120 oz) Square Grip Airtight Canister

They are easy to grab even when full. Fast to open and close. Easy to put food in and to take it out. And take much less space than bottles. I bought some of them on sale as cheap as $5, but normal price is $6-7. For those of you who are like me and almost never drink anything out of 2L bottles, these are a better way. Besides, they likely will outlive me, so $70 for 10 of them spread across many many years is really not much.

PS – I highly recommend EE. Their customer service is top notch. [thumbsup]

Really? I and 3 other members here did a coupl of group buys from theadittook us MONTHS to get everything we ordered. I just recently got the last of it and our last order was in April/May. I have a very different opinion of their service.

I ordered superpail size of lentils, wheat, and beans from EE. Quite satisfied with their delivery and service.

I have, through some experimentation, decided on the bulk of our food storage, which is rice, lentils, and small kidney beans, as well as wheat.

Our family loves Indian food, and we can make Dahl (lentil stew) and rice easily, with some stored spices, and using onions and cilantro from our garden. It's simple to make roti (flat unleavened bread) from ground whole wheat. Dahl and rice or roti is quite nutrionally complete in terms of amino acids, and we can happily live on it for a long time. It's quite healthy!

We also stock the TastyBite pre-made Indian food, which stores for about 18 months pretty easily, for shorter term and daily use. You just make a pot of rice or some roti, and it's what I usually have for lunch and often for dinner!

I like fresh Dahl much better than the Mountain House pre-cooked freeze-dried stuff.

Really? I and 3 other members here did a coupl of group buys from theadittook us MONTHS to get everything we ordered. I just recently got the last of it and our last order was in April/May. I have a very different opinion of their service.

I am not sure what caused EE to fail to properly address your needs, but in my case they always have shipped things promptly and well packaged. However, that alone would not prompt me to recommend them. Neither would the fact that at one time when I called them to ask a question the customer service rep told me that they are currently have a discount on the item I was interested in and how to find said discount. Although I already knew about the discount, I thought it was nice of the company to enable their reps to alert and guide their customers to the best available pricing. The main reason for my recommendation however is the following. I bought on sale 8 containers which I recommended in post #7. They came in two manufacturer’s boxes of 4/box. So keep in mind that these are direct from factory. One of the boxes had two containers with tops screwed on incorrectly, which caused damage to the green rubber gasket. So I call EE, describe the situation and request replacement gaskets. Sometime later (about 3 weeks) I totally forget all about it when I get a call from EE. The rep says that they have not yet received the gaskets or any action from SNAPWARE and that EE is sorry for the delay and inconvenience and that they are sending me 2 replacement containers free of charge. Few days later new containers had arrived. About a month later 2 gaskets arrived directly from SNAPWARE. So handling of this issue plus all other positive or neutral experiences I’ve had with EE made me recommend their service. Having said that, caveat emptor, companies and their service sometimes do change overtime. So what was today might not be tomorrow.

Again, I am not sure why your order was delayed, but it kind of sounds like some items were on a backorder. I do not really see any other way to explain a three months delay. However, I remember once ordering eggs and EE clearly told me that eggs were on a backorder and not expected for two weeks. If memory serves me well – about two weeks later I had my eggs in hand. Was this some sort of backorder issue that was not properly communicated?

The items listed on their website show if they are in stock or backordered. Back over the fall / winter Glenn Beck did a show about food storage and there was a huge run on food from EE. The problem wasn't with EE but with Mountain House and the rest of their distributors. They just couldn't make the stuff fast enough

That craze has died down and most of the stuff they sell is in stock now.

I highly recommend EE. Their customer service is top notch

I don't dislike EE, but I have not been 100% happy with them either. I find that their pricing is not all that great when compared to other suppliers. Anyone in the market should take a look at safecastle.com they don't have the same breadth of products as EE, but their pricing is often better (so is their stock). If you get a membership to the survival podcast you get a free club discount to safecastle and discounts to a bunch of similar vendors. No affiliation with anyone mentioned....

I don't dislike EE, but I have not been 100% happy with them either. I find that their pricing is not all that great when compared to other suppliers. Anyone in the market should take a look at safecastle.com they don't have the same breadth of products as EE, but their pricing is often better (so is their stock). If you get a membership to the survival podcast you get a free club discount to safecastle and discounts to a bunch of similar vendors. No affiliation with anyone mentioned....

I totally agree with you. On many products they do NOT have the best prices. I do shop around and almost always try to buy competitively priced supplies. So I didn’t mean to say EE is my exclusive or even main supplier. All I was saying, with everything else equal – EE in my experience has a great customer service. Truth be told, I do not buy that much from EE, but every time I do, I have had a good shopping experience. Obviously, if time allows it, shopping around is often prudent.

Worcester, LDS prices are the best! People are extremely nice. They are open Thursday's and Saturday's and you need an appointment if you want to can your own stuff. Usually pretty open for the times I've done it. Great supply of direct off the shelf stuff too.

Back
Top Bottom