• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AAR: LDS Storehouse Worcester

This is a copy of a post I made on another New England board. I see you have a lot of good people here and hope that this can help you all with your food storage preps.

For some who don't know. The Church of Laterday Saints (Mormons). Strongly encourage church members to store as much food in there homes as possible. Up to a year in most cases. To help members, the Church set up regional canneries. Members make appointments buy bulk and dry goods at cost. Actually below cost, as shipping costs are not factored into prices.

The storehouse also makes available canning equipment which you use yourself. Most of these goods have a shelf life of 30+ years. IMHO this is the best way to begin a long term emergency food supply. (Insurance policy)

Some people believe that entering a religious environment like the LDS, opens you up to a bombardment of offers to join. These are not the Jehovah Witnesses. They refer to each other as Brother and Sister. A non member is a gentile but they are very polite and will call you by your first name. Since I have written the original AAR I have returned to the cannery a second time. At no time was I approached to join, or given a sermon. To be honest, they don't need to heavy hand membership. The Church is growing and I felt so welcome I envied members.

10/10/09 SB

After Action Report

09/10/09

Bishops Storehouse and Cannery
231 Brooks St
Worcester, MA 01606-3307
(508) 853-6937

Over the last three years, I have made several calls to the Bishops Storehouse in Worcester Ma. Each time I called, policy did not permit non members from making purchases. With encouragement from LDS posters. I tried again two weeks ago.

My first call was a machine that said the storehouse was open Thursday and Saturday 9 to 5. I called back and was transferred twice. Each time took several moments to explain that I was not a member and wished to use the cannery. The final transfer was the actual cannery line. I spoke to Brother Rich Gogan. It's my understanding that he's unofficially in charge of the cannery. Brother Gogan said that I was indeed welcome to use the cannery. Each Thursday and Saturday has two appointment times. 0900 and 1300.

The Brother told me that very often people make appointments and don't show up. So what they did was install a second smaller consumer grade can lid sealer. Then began double booking. Hoping that at least one person will show up. If you end up being the second canner, it won't be a problem. Although, the main canner is really set up well with plenty of counter space.

Full disclosure...my appointment was delayed because the storehouse had a bug problem. A bad shipment of oats contaminated much of the stock. As of yesterday the stock was disposed of and the vermin fumigated.

Location: Plug the address into your GPS and the location is a breeze to find. I was looking around and wondering to myself if I could find my way back to I495 (My main route) without the GPS. Probably but there are several main highway convergence nearby. Many with those lovely Mass half mile long exit ramps. The building is block construction no windows. With a six foot fence around it. The cannery parking is in back to the right. The Store is out front.

I had a two hour ride so after I found the building. Not wanting to annihilate the LDS mens room, I went looking for a rest room. Across the street next to an electric motor company is a side street that leads to a supermarket. The bathroom is to the left front of the building. There is no Dunkin Donuts nearby.

I arrived on time at 9am. An 18 wheel truck was unloading product. Brother Gogan was late. So for an hour, I helped move and break down pallets. Several volunteers were working, I just joined them. Eventually each would ask which Parrish I belonged to. And I told them I was there to use the cannery, and not a member. I was asked several times why I was working? To break the tension I said "Your not going to beat me up are you?" These guys are really nice!

While packing hamburger in the freezer, I noticed huge piles of frozen wheat. I wondered if this was connected to the bug infestation. I'm sure its fine, but IMHO grains should never be frozen to kill bugs. The only time it should be done is inside vacuum (freeze-dry). Condensation can cause mold that won't be found until you need the grain. Like I said it's my opinion.

Have a list of what you want ready. Here is a price list...
http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,8133-1-4352-1,00.html

The cannery is in back within the warehouse. Nobody sees you and only a couple of times someone came in. Brother Gogan will be very helpful. He really is a good guy. The canning is easy. You will be an expert in 15 minutes. Filling cans to the proper weight, is the hardest part. I suggest while packing the onions. Fill the can to overflowing then hold a lid on he top and shake it to condense the product. Regardless of what you buy. When you open a bulk package of product. It all has to be canned. If you want just one can of something. You could be lucky and find it already done for you. Otherwise, have fun!

In the bottom left box of the price list above. Are bulk prepackaged cans. These are packed in Utah and cost the same as if you did it yourself. The storehouse is really big into rotation so expect them to ask you to take those before opening new stock. I got six cases of quick oats which were packed in Utah.

My trip today was not totally a success. When I made my appointment I called Sorbant Systems and ordered a bag of fifty 400cc Oxygen absorbers. They were shipped out the next day. Unfortunately, Fed-Ex screwed me. So far they are two days late. The cannery does provide absorbers. I didn't know how well the cannery people understand how oxygen absorbers work, so I ordered my own to add to the product for added insurance. As I expected, the cannery absorbers were in a large bulk pack and were previously opened. Brother Gogan did have a good bag seal but I was none the less disappointed.

Suggestions: I was way overdressed when I went. I looked like I as going to a church pick nick. Wear clean newer jeans, a simple collared shirt and decent sneakers.
If you go, and you buy a lot. Bring the correct amount of cash with big FRN's it's easier at check out. They also take paper checks. NO plastic.
When you call ask to be connected to the cannery. The person who answers the phone may be a volunteer, and not know you are welcome.
If you don't get the cannery. Call this super top secret number 508-595-9319 ask for Brother Gogan
If you can. Go to the early appointment the clean up at the end of the day is much more intensive.
If you make an appointment keep it.
Consider bringing your own supplementary O2 Absorbers.
Kids are not allowed in the cannery.

What's the point of this report. Not knowing what to expect or entering unfamiliar surroundings may keep many preppers from taking advantage of this fantastic resource. I've spelled out everything that happened today. Now you know what to expect, so get your butt on the phone. I'm not LDS and I made it.

Here is what $329FRN worth of dry pack looks like. Keep in mind that I bought lots of the more pricey items like apples, milk, onions, and carrots. You can go there with much less money and come home with much more food.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/SniperBait/Storehouse001.jpg
Footnote: On my second visit. They were out of stock on bulk sacks of beans. When you call for an appointment ask if they have in stock items you want. It's usually just a matter of putting off your appointment a week until the resupply truck arrives.

Best Wishes SB

Last edited:
Thanks for the report.

Every LDS member I have met has been without exception polite, decent, and just plain nice folks.

I've been saving money to buy some things from this cannery and finally got to go this morning. Rich Gogan is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He patiently helped me can up everything. He's also prior military so we had quite a bit in common. Oh, and he likes to hunt and just bought a bow for deerhunting.

They also had everything in stock and the prices were exactly like the worksheet. The food is of phenomenal quality and I don't think you could find a better price anywhere. I particularly liked the ability to can up my stores as this should really help with the longevity.

I did ask if I could bring some of my things from home and can them up. This unfortunately isn't allowed so now I need to rotate my old sugar, dried milk, etc and go back and buy their stuff in cans. The cans will help prevent the sugar from hardening and extend the life of the dried milk from 2 years to 20.

Take advantage of this if you can but as SniperBait said, please be courteous and be on time. I was one of two scheduled to can and the other didn't show. Thankfully the non-LDS (me) is the one who kept the appt.

I just called the number listed above to confirm that they were open to non members. I was notified they were not. Apparently there is a way to gain access, but I would have to speak to the Bishop.

The thought that they allowed non members in made sense to me as it would foster a more prepared neighborhood.

That's too bad. I was looking forward to going and already had a shopping list.

I just called the number listed above to confirm that they were open to non members. I was notified they were not. Apparently there is a way to gain access, but I would have to speak to the Bishop.

The thought that they allowed non members in made sense to me as it would foster a more prepared neighborhood.

That's too bad. I was looking forward to going and already had a shopping list.

If you called up and asked, "Hi, are you open to the public," then the answer sort of makes sense. The building serves two purposes. First, it is a Bishops Storehouse/Food Pantry. Members of the church who are having financial or other difficulties can get approval from their bishop to get free food and supplies from the storehouse. This is part of the church's welfare system for members. As far as I know, only members of the church who have an order form from their Bishop can access the storehouse.

Second, the building is a dry goods cannery. Members and non-members can can, package, and purchase dry goods. My wife was there this morning with a group of other LDS members canning dry goods for our own use. The man that oversees the operation said that non-members come in all the time. However, it is highly recommended that you make an appointment first, and depending on the time of year, it can take a while to get in. In the past they sometimes had to schedule 4 months in advance, but this time it was only two months. This was for a group of about 8 people. He showed them the schedule and right now they have a lot of openings, but he said that once people start getting their tax refunds, it starts getting very busy.

Some dry goods come pre-packaged in a box of 6 #10 cans. The price on the Order Form is per can, so multiply by 6 to get the price per box. Some dry goods you need to can yourself.

My wife and her group were there for 3 hours this morning, and since they had a lot of people, the director asked them to can some of the open bags that previous groups hadn't finished. If you are only buying a small quantity, they might have some already canned.

My wife also wanted me to mention that the potato pearls are pre-seasoned and are pretty good. They have new packaging now that isn't really suitable for very long-term storage; the new packaging only has a shelf-life of about 2 years. She thinks that you have to buy a case at a time and there are 12 packages in a box. The potato flakes are just plain potato and you can can those yourself.

If you call to make an appointment, or to just ask questions, I recommend that you ask for the cannery, or Jeff Beaudette. They are open on Thursdays and Saturdays 9-4. If you have a large group (8-10 people), he said that he can make arrangements to stay open on Thursday night.

I would be willing to organize and make an appointment for an NES group if there is sufficient interest. This isn't really a group buy, but I'll check with Derek just to double check and if he gives the OK, I'll start a new threat for it. It goes pretty fast when there are enough people to do it assembly line style. There is really only enough room for 8 people (10 max) at a time, so depending on interest, we could schedule a few different trips.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.
I just wanted to add that the cannery is in deed still open to non members. The storehouse {market}, where they sell regular food stuffs is not. I have made three additional trips since this report.

On one trip. I was adding another family to our group. So the purchase list was large. Over 1500 pounds in 25 pound sacks. The LDS members lined up and formed bucket brigades to load my little toyota. I assured the LDS that I wasn't buying to resell. They assured me my order wasn't unusual and that the crew that came in earlier nearly wiped them out. My point is, if you are hesitant to go to the cannery because you dont want to feel like you are takeing advantage of a church. Don't feel that way. Every product is stamped from an LDS farm. Shipped by a LDS truck, and handled by LDS personnel. The church wants as many people prepared as possible so that they dont have to help us in a disaster.

On a side note Brother Gogan has moved on. But the people are still just as nice. Also, to buy the bulk bags of foodstuffs you don't need an appointment. You only need the appointment to use the canner.
Good Luck guys see you on the other side SB

I would be willing to organize and make an appointment for an NES group if there is sufficient interest. This isn't really a group buy, but I'll check with Derek just to double check and if he gives the OK, I'll start a new threat for it. It goes pretty fast when there are enough people to do it assembly line style. There is really only enough room for 8 people (10 max) at a time, so depending on interest, we could schedule a few different trips.

I got the OK from Derek to organize an NES group outing to the Storehouse. Details are in the Group Buy Forum of the NES Member Section.

Back
Top Bottom