2012 LDS Prep Manual

THe LDS Manual has been updated for 2012. Havent had a chance to dig through all of it yet but here is the lonk for the download

http://www.ldsavow.com/FreeResources.html

I was just about to post the link, which is slightly different from the one I was given?

Here's an excerpt:

Level 4: Can Survive One Year of an Emergency
(such as currency devaluation, economic depression)

Has a deep short- and long-term food pantry
Likely has their own garden to produce food
Likely has small-sized farm animals to produce protein (chickens, goats, rabbits)
Has a deep supply of ammo (2000+ rounds per weapon)
Is a spare weapon in event of damage
Has mean to produce herbal medicines to replace prescriptions
Has a long-term store of antibiotics
Likely has dog for security watch
Has full 24 hour rotation of security watch on the home (requires 6 adults)
Show have secondary off-site storage of food, weapons, and ammo
Is ready to bug-out with full hiking and camping gear, if security situation degrades
Is able to educate their children at home

You know, if wasn't for the no coffee thing (and they are SERIOUS about that) I'd think about it! I was almost smote for having a cup of coffee at the last cannery trip...

Regardless of the occasional biblical reference, etc., there is a lot of good info and advice in the book.

Here is the link I had, which I presume accesses the same pdf:

http://www.ldsavow.com/PrepManualGeneral.html

Thanks for the manual. I'll have to see what level I'm at. Not quite at level 4.

I don't have farm animals or a long term supply of antibiotics. And I don't have 2k+ rounds for every weapon I own. Anyone know where i can get case lots of 6.5x52mm Carcano and 6.5×50mm Arisaka?

reading through some of the manual (it's pretty big and has lots of religious inserts) but what's in there is still pretty good. The firearms section is pretty strong on standardization, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on standardization.

Standardization is a good place to start. 2-3 similar rifles, pistols and shotguns that can use inter changable parts so you can make sure you can keep them all working.

Once you have that base-line, it's time to start diversifying to provide the greatest likelihood of utilizing as much as possible of what you can find including at least: .22LR, .357, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP / .225/5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, .30-06, 12ga and .410

Then start to move to more exotic rounds, talk to your local gun shop about what calibers they do volume in, popular local hunting calibers so you can further expand your ammunition choices.

As for how many should you have? My personal feelings are you should have 1 longarm (rifle or shotgun), 1 handgun and 1 good knife for every adult who will be staying with you, plus at least 1 spare. and 2k rounds for each of those, plus reloading equipment for those calibers.

I'd welcome other people's thoughts.

reading through some of the manual (it's pretty big and has lots of religious inserts) but what's in there is still pretty good. The firearms section is pretty strong on standardization, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on standardization.

Standardization is a good place to start. 2-3 similar rifles, pistols and shotguns that can use inter changable parts so you can make sure you can keep them all working.

Once you have that base-line, it's time to start diversifying to provide the greatest likelihood of utilizing as much as possible of what you can find including at least: .22LR, .357, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP / .225/5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, .30-06, 12ga and .410

Then start to move to more exotic rounds, talk to your local gun shop about what calibers they do volume in, popular local hunting calibers so you can further expand your ammunition choices.

As for how many should you have? My personal feelings are you should have 1 longarm (rifle or shotgun), 1 handgun and 1 good knife for every adult who will be staying with you, plus at least 1 spare. and 2k rounds for each of those, plus reloading equipment for those calibers.

I'd welcome other people's thoughts.

My feeling is if you are strictly building a self defense/ post SHTF battery than just stick with the basics and standardize.

A semi auto rifle in .223/7.62x 39, a handgun in any major cal, A bolt gun in 270, 308, 3006, a 12 or 20 shotgun and a 22 rifle would make a decent battery for anyone. YOu could probably ditch the bolt gun if you are in an area where you arent going to take a shot past a couple hundred yards. I do also feel that a basic reloading setup should be part of anyones battery. As for ammo I would say 1-2K rifle, 2-400 for the bolt gun, 500 handgun and 500 shotgun.

Rather than spend extra money on more guns to fit ammo that you might find I would spend the money on training, on more ammo for your current guns and spare parts. I would rather have ammo that I know will fit a firearm I have than a gun that I hope I will find the correct ammo for. I do however pick up odd rounds if I find them at yard sales etc. I have no 270 but a couple of boxes of ammo.

My big thing is most guys I know have plenty of guns and ammo but no where near enough food water and other supplies. It is all about balance.

I totally agree with the need for balance. Too many have plenty of weapons and not enough of everything else, including skills to use those weapons. Many have an illusion that they can get what they need from those who are unarmed or trade ammo for food/med supplies. IMHO that’s a plan for failure. Can you force some unarmed doctor to help you? Probably yes. But you cannot force those without food water to magically get some for you even if you are willing to kill them. Also, if I have food, I probably also have ammo, so I ain’t trading. Plus fining traders might be easier said than done. Storing weapons without ammo or vise versa for things you might later find is equally unrealistic. Where and how will you be finding those things? How far can you walk? Where are the owners? Why is ammo there, but gun that shoot it is not?

Standardization is great, but it’s worthwhile to keep in mind that some guns are just for fun or investment. For SHTF, at minimum one needs a handgun and a rifle/shotgun. Budget, strength and probable engagement distance would drive buying decisions. Handgun is easy – G19 or M&Pc. Sure there is a ton of other great pistols, so feel free to choose your favorite. Also, 9mm is my choice. If you only shoot .45, well get that. 300-500rd is plenty. If you need more, you probably will die long before you’ll have a chance to use them. Actually, living through an attack where you get to go through 3 mags is unlikely. Living through 10 such attacks – good luck. Having said that, there is such thing as inflation and for active shooters keeping 10-20yrs of future ammo needs is not unreasonable. So if you are an active shooter and all else is covered, sure store more for your future trips to the range. Here in NE we are dealing with 150-200m shots so for women or average men next choice is 5.45 or 5.56 or if you are Vin Diesel or Yankeeprepper, get 308. Reality is that at 150-200m all 3 will kill equally well. My choice is 5.56 out of AR. If I were on tight budget, it would have been 5.45 out of AK. If I was a woman, probably 5.45 out of AR or maybe 5.56 if I had others in my family. The famous 7.62x39mm is outdated. But if that is your cup of tea, who am I to disagree? Now, if I lived in an open country, 308 would be my choice out of AR or on a tight budget 7.62x54 out of PSL or Mosin. 500-700rd is plenty. Again store more for fun shooting at later dates. If the above is covered, you are gtg for defense. Only after other supplies are covered would I add a shotgun. A 26-28” pump would work as HD and hunting tool. If strong enough 12ga, if not 20ga. For HD both will work equally well, but for hunting 12ga makes things easier. Plus there are many more ammo options with 12ga. Because of that, if a woman, I would consider semi-auto in 12ga. Here you’ll need lots of different shells. But no need to go nuts. The first time I hunted rabbit I carried a box of 25. How many did I use? 2 shells. First time duck hunting 2 boxes of 25. Used 3 shells and harvested 2 ducks. Finally, if I am on top of other needs I would get a long range/hunting rifle. If on budget Mosin or possibly Yugo (I know where to get a great one on sale [smile]). If not, 308 or maybe 30-06 bolt. 100-150rd would be plenty.

However, if I were starting from nothing and was on a very limited budget, I’d buy Mosin + 1 spam. Chances are I would do just as well as the guy who has everything above.

Maybe I just favor diversification. Maybe I just like shooting different kinds of guns too much.

Now don't get me wrong, I do have supplies of most of the ammunition I shoot, though some of the more obscure calibers I don't have large collections of ammunition for (the Carcano and Jap. mentioned above for example and neither of those were purchased for preppartion reasons)

I own an AR-10 (.308) and and an AR-15 (5.56) You can interchange some of the parts on those two. I was thinking also getting this .22LR conversion for the AR-15 as well for backup purposes.

Back
Top Bottom