lbs of lead per 5 gal of range scrap?

I smelted just over 500lbs of lead on a tank of gas that came with my used turkey fryer about 3/4 full.
I paid $20 for the set up including 2 large spoons and a paddle that conviently holds just enough to fill the muffin tins..
I bought a pair of welders gloves and a resperiator for another $50. Took me 2 6 hour days to melt and cast ignots.
Or about .14¢ lb

Four or five years ago I was close enough to a indoor range clean out and was lucky enough to get ten 3/4 full buckets of crap. I had to move them on a dolly one at a time. My heat source was a coal fired forge. If you want a really good cheap lead pot get yourself a big old fire extinguisher and lop what you want off the bottom. I drilled a couple holes into mine and made a bail handle out of rebar. I didn't do any weighing but I think I got 50% dross and 50% good clean lead muffins. That's a lot of cast 9's and 45's but I'd love to get some more.

I cleaned up the range last week. Left with (4) 2 gallon buckets. I use 2 gallon buckets because I can still carry them when full. 3 were full of almost pure lead from the trough that catches the lead, the 4th was full of floor sweepings. I smelted on Sunday using my wood burning 55 gallon drum smelter. Ended up with 240# of lead so average about 60# per 2 gallon bucket.

lead.jpg

I think it will be difficult to get any kind of average weight. I have smelted a lot of range lead and although I know that I get a higher yield of useable alloy compared to wheel weights there are still a lot of differentials. I collect mostly from the 50 yard berm because it gets the most activity. Sometimes it seems that I get a lot of jacketed bullets, however, in the early fall just before deer season I get a lot of shotgun slugs from all the hunters sighting in their slug guns. That changes the ratio considerably. Lot of big chunks of heavy lead. At other times it seems like a lot cast bullets. I also pick out all useless debris at the berm (rocks, sticks etc). In my shed I have many buckets of range lead, wheel weights, lead pipe, general scrap. I find it is enough work keeping up with smelting, casting, sizing, loading and so on, it has never occurred to me to weigh before and after. Let us know what you figure out. Interesting.
I know this is an old post. When I melt range scrap, I toss everything in a cast-iron pot on a turkey fryer burner. Jackets, sand small rocks, wood, etc. Floats to the top. I have a can I drilled holes in the bottom with a handle attached to shake the lead out of the jackets. Then I simply skim the crud off the melted lead and pour into ingots. Saves a lot of time picking debris out by hand

Those rolls of lead flashing are expensive. Check out the prices on home depot and put it on market place.
$160/50# is not terrible when you need lead AxBxC dimensions like flashing.
Virgin lead alloy 99.9% 5lb ignots are running about $13 ?

IF closer .50/lb is my grab it price for random stock. Specific alloy I will pay more.

Im still coming across enough free lead to keep me stocked for my needs.

Ok kids. I have plenty of lead but it's dead soft and I need antimony. Wheel weights, range lead, rotometals I know about.
Any other sources? Trying to keep the cost down obviously.

Ok kids. I have plenty of lead but it's dead soft and I need antimony. Wheel weights, range lead, rotometals I know about.
Any other sources? Trying to keep the cost down obviously.
Black powder guys often have other alloy to trade for dead soft.
You local to rockland ma? I could trade some range scrap already melted down to ifnots . IIRC its about 12bhn per pencil test

Back
Top Bottom