Law limiting sale of ammo to 3 boxes per person ?

Hi All,

I went to North Attleboro Walmart to pick up some ammo today and was greeted by this sign.... https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2dD0nsBiDbibnR0VGdYY19SUGs/preview (not sure if the photo is showing up properly).

The sign read " By law we can only sell ammunition at the maximum of 3 total items. 3 boxes of ammo per customer per transaction per each day".

As far as I know this is total BS and pisses me off that they would post a sign like this if it is not a Law. Is this a law?

I understand that they can do what they want but if it is not law and it is just their company policy then they should say per company policy but not per Law.

No law, just some bullshit a wall mart manager made up to shut down conversations about walmarts ammo rationing policy.

Most likely just somebody putting up a sign to try to get people to stop asking for more than 3 boxes. That way they point to the sign and go, "Well I'm not a gun person but the sign says legally I can only sell 3 boxes".

Maybe their help are required to count the number of boxes per sale and have only been trained to count up to three? [devil2]

Bunch of morons who work there anyway. Allegedly they sold ammo to a MSP Trooper whose only identification they checked was that she was in uniform . . . the allegation is that they lost their MA Ammo Dealer's License for 3 years for doing that (it's fact that they lost it for that long, the cause is "alleged" but I heard it from multiple independent sources). When they finally got the license back they red-tagged everything and I bought a lot of what they had in pistol ammo . . . the clerk warned me that the ammo might not be any good as it had been sitting in the case for 3 years! [rolleyes] I told him that I was willing to take my chances! [rofl] They also insisted in carrying it all the way outside the building for "safety reasons"! [laugh] Too bad that their rules didn't require that he put it in my trunk for me too! [rofl]

Ignoring for a moment about whether this law exists ...

To me, the sign seems to be incorrectly worded.

Am I the only one who reads the sign this way ...

"Per customer" ... If it is a different customer, you CAN buy 3 more boxes.

"Per transaction" ...If it is a different transaction, you CAN buy 3 more boxes.

"Per day" ... If it is a different day, you CAN buy 3 more boxes.

So ...

Pick up 3 boxes of ammo; Walk through the checkout and pay;

Go back and pick up 3 more boxes, go through the checkout again, and it is another, different transaction.

If they wanted to limit your purchase to 3 boxes per day, they should have LEFT OUT the "per transaction".

Last edited:
Everyone should feel free to call and ask about the Law (specific MGL cite required) that they referenced :)

Maybe their help are required to count the number of boxes per sale and have only been trained to count up to three?

Common, they have more than three fingers...

I stop in there sometimes and there is one guy who at least has fun with all of the questions that the register asks.
Conversation:
Employee: Can I see your FID?
Me: Showed him LTC.
Employee: Is the ammo for a pistol or rifle?
Me: Pistol.
Employee: What is you favorite color?
Me: Blu wait what?
Employee: (straight faced) It asks for your favorite color which I assume is blue? (pause), I'm just kidding they train us to ask all of these questions for each box so I figured I would mix it up.

I still surprised that the 3 box limit still counts for the bulk .22s they have sometimes and that there is not a further restriction.

I stop in there sometimes and there is one guy who at least has fun with all of the questions that the register asks.
Conversation:
Employee: Can I see your FID?
Me: Showed him LTC.
Employee: Is the ammo for a pistol or rifle?
Me: Pistol.
Employee: What is you favorite color?
Me: Blu wait what?
Employee: (straight faced) It asks for your favorite color which I assume is blue? (pause), I'm just kidding they train us to ask all of these questions for each box so I figured I would mix it up.

should have come back with "what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?!"
[smile]

Common, they have more than three fingers...

Are you sure of that?

The story I referenced . . . I ended up with 3 clueless clerks (at least one had a key) that I swear were all under 21 yo. I don't think I've been in that store for probably 18 months or more now, so I have no idea if they hired anyone that could count higher than 3 without taking their shoes and socks off!

I ran into a clerk in the Pittsfield Walmart who though the 3 box limit is the law too. I set them straight that it was merely a company policy.

Based on the excellent sentence structure and logic on that sign, I'm sure this isn't the only thing that confuses whoever made the sign.

send that pic to the walmart HQ. I bet senior Walmart management wouldn't be happy out store managers making up laws.

Was that sign written by and English major? Chrissakes

I still surprised that the 3 box limit still counts for the bulk .22s they have sometimes and that there is not a further restriction.

When they got in the cases of 855 I cleared them out. Initially the clerk almost busted a nut over the weight and then tried to say because there were so many rounds that he could only sell me one case. We went back and forth a little bit and ultimately he contacted the manager who told him it was fine.

As far as the 3 box rule goes who really cares? It's their policy and evidently you like their ammo prices enough to still buy there. One shop in my area was famous for clearing out the entire case. While a buddy and I were there staring at 2 cases of 550pks of 22 yea it would have been nice to grab it all, but at the same time I'm glad that shop isn't grabbing everything and just jacking the prices. They still have people hitting up the case but can only get 3 boxes at a wack. If you don't like it go to your LGS pay more and most likely still end up with retarded limits ie one box per caliber etc.

I'll shoot the shit with the employees sometimes and you get a lot of info out of them. Overall at least in my local one they tend to have decent people working back there (except the old man who cites everything as law and makes shit up on the fly).

send that pic to the walmart HQ. I bet senior Walmart management wouldn't be happy out store managers making up laws.

Was that sign written by and English major? Chrissakes

You don't know WM Corporate mentality. Their lawyers told me that the MA DOR ruling on US Flags being sales tax exempt was WRONG! And they wouldn't budge even after being sent the DOR Email that asked me to report WM for tax fraud!

So they'd probably give the manager who did that an extra Peso/week raise as a thank you for pulling a "law" out of his ******* . . . might even promote him to corporate!

20140224_165259.jpg
I guess they have removed the 3 box legal statement and replaced a 3 box restriction with 22s. Was this a result of this thread or a coincidence?

It wasn't a law, it was a department manager executive order.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom