Last Minute NH Buck

Well, not last minute but close ...

I was hunting this past week with a group of friends in Pittsburg NH. Got up there Saturday and I planned on hunting Sunday through Wednesday, taking Thanksgiving off and then hunting Friday.

The weather was a real mix ... everything from cold and dry to sleet, rain in the 40s, and then some snow later in the week. I spent the first couple of days in one area then the next three a few miles over the Clarkville town line in this stand:

2liy9aw.jpg

The first day in the blind I had a doe come out in the morning and a button buck in the afternoon. Unfortunately, that was the only action all week.

Well, on Friday (my last day hunting), it was about two hours before dark when a deer leg stepped out about 85 yards out. A few seconds later I saw his head and antlers. This was a five pointer a couple of other guys saw previously who had been in the area.

Unfortunately, he was moving right to left and my scope had fogged. I was in a panic trying to clear it while he walked behind some small trees and brambles. I finally got my scope clear and found his rear leg in among the trees, and then could make out the rest of his body. He started to move again and I knew I only had a couple of seconds to get a shot before he got behind a big pine and I would not have any chance at him.

I hit an estrous doe bleat which caused him to bend his head down and look through an opening up the hill and I found a small, maybe 10" by 10" opening in the brush on his shoulder, put my crosshairs over it and squeezed the trigger. My .308 round hit him perfectly, he dropped to the ground and was dead within a couple of minutes.

Here he is:

2dwb2hl.jpg

We dragged him out to the road, field dressed him and he weighed in at 149 pounds at the registration station in Pittsburg.

It was a long week but definitely worth the wait.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Another Savage. I might have to break into my coffee can money and buy one.

I can't recommend the Savage bolt guns enough. For the price, their out-of-the-box accuracy is amazing and the AccuTrigger is sublime. I think I paid around $500 for mine. It was a package deal and came with a scope but I replaced the optics after a year.

Nice deer! Weather (the last day anyway) looks just about perfect! Nice set-up...I've got one last weekend to go.

I actually got into the stand late that day (around 9:00AM) because it was sleeting like no tomorrow and I figured nothing would move. It turned into a beautiful snowy day later on and that buck came in when it was barely coming down. The conditions were perfect ... nice and quiet.

Congrats. There seem to be a larger amount of deer being taken this year.

Everyone I talked to said the numbers looked good. I'm interested in seeing the final harvest report. My group went 2 for 4, my buck and a buddy's smaller 4-pointer. That's amazing for the Pittsburg, NH area. We've been hunting up there for years and haven't really taken any before. That's why we usually hunt North Carolina to fill our freezers before the NH season starts. We didn't go down South this year so these two bucks were a pleasant surprise.

If anyone is interested in hunting up there, PM me and I'll send you info on the guides we used. It was well worth it after hunting on our own up in that area for years.

Bumping this thread since I got my mount and gun rack back from the taxidermist last week:

100_0468.jpg

Haven't hung them yet though. Can't decide where it should go.

Thanks guys.

I should have noted that they are two separate pieces, I just had them together on that chair for the pic.

Dave Lettre in Weare, NH did the work for me. His prices are excellent too. Mount was $550 and the gun rack was $180. I highly recommend his work. His website is http://www.davelettretaxidermy.com/

I've been thinking we should have a GTG near Weare sometime soon, Dave's Showroom would be one more excuse for locating a meetup in Weare.

Back
Top Bottom