las vegas: Interesting DUI checkpoint encounter

When is the last time you were able to see your doctor within even 24 hours of any given time? That won't help you much.
Since I have never been pulled over for a DUI, its never helped me. I am just stating the law. And its not 24 hours. If you are not granted this right than it is grounds for dismissal if charges are filed by DA.

"legal" by the law, doesn't mean the law should be or is right, or is constitutional.

Never said it was right or constitutional. Again, I am just stating the law. But keep being argumentative.

Also, they cannot stop every car. There HAS to be a consistent and systematic way the stop cars at the check point.

Yes they can. The two that I went through, EVERY car got stopped. Admittedly, there wasn't that much traffic.

-Mike

I didn't see this guy as looking for a fight at all. He politely exercised his constitutional rights and they let him be about his business. Most people don't even know what their rights are. Some LEOs would take this as a sign of disrespect for the law, which is pretty ironic. Looks like these LEOs did the right thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I don't like DUI checkpoints at all, but in the context of having a checkpoint I think this incident went as well as could be expected on both sides.

Cops were polite and reasonable and gave their info when asked. That, in particular, is something I like. They are public servants and if you have a grievance with their conduct then you should be able to get their badge number and name without a hassle. It's not up to them to decide whether you have a valid reason to ask or not. On the other side, the guy exercised his rights and did so without getting belligerent or weird. I was impressed that he just did not answer at all.

I have nothing to complain about here other than the existence of DUI checkpoints in general. good job by all involved.

This action should be the norm, not the exception.

The constant eroding of rights is not the direction we need to go.

Check points are legal so long as they are random and posted to the public the week prior. That's why you will see it in the papers telling your of check points. Also, they cannot stop every car. There HAS to be a consistent and systematic way the stop cars at the check point.

Where are they posted?

Careful about recording in Mass. with audio. Mass. a two party consent law where both parties must consent before being audibly recorded. http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/massachusetts-recording-law

That law is unconstitutional in this case as recently confirmed by the First Circuit US Court of Appeals. You have the right to record officers in public where they have no expectation of privacy. This includes public streets.
http://www.citmedialaw.org/blog/2011/victory-recording-public
http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/pdf.opinions/10-1764P-01A.pdf

I was involved recently in an online discussion on my local news website regarding the DUI checkpoint issue. I am amazed at the attitudes expressed by many basically acquiescing their civil liberties. Glossed over by the multitude of sheep were facts I presented such as a ruling concerning sobriety checkpoints issued by the PA Supreme Court cited a study that showed that less than three quarters of one percent of all drivers stopped were guilty of any type of crime. I also referenced a Supreme Court ruling that came on an appeal of a Michigan case where the State Supreme Court found that DUI checkpoints were in violation of the Fourth Amendment. Brennan wrote a minority opinon stating “that while stopping every car might make it easier to prevent drunken driving, it is an insufficient justification for abandoning the requirement of individualized suspicion.”
Justice Stevens comments were, “...and even if roadblocks were effective, the fact that they work wouldn’t justify violating individuals’ constitutional rights.”
Unfortunately, they were minority opinions as a split decision led by Rehnquist boiled it down to the end justifying the means. Rehnquist later admitted the ruling violated a fundemental right leaving many to call it the DUI exception to the Constitution.
In one of my posts I paraphrased the Franklin quote about relinquishing freedom for security. One poster chided me for utilizing it, claiming people of my ilk take it "as if it’s some kind of cosmic law." I believe it is.

Back
Top Bottom