• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Landlord and roommates threatening to kick me out for pursuing an LTC, looking for lawyer

OP - learn to shut up about your business.
I doubt a 'no guns' clause would be struck down by Massachusetts courts but if there isn't one already then getting you out is going to be hard for the landlord.
However for your roommates it's one 'I don't feel safe' call away from you receiving a red flag prohibition and being barred from entering the apartment you will still be required bu the lease to pay for.

Bringing up the issue with your roommates was a turn onto a one way street - you can only move out even if you don't pursue a license.
If you give in, you have lost all power and respect. If you don't they will involve the man in your life in ways that will crush you.
Start looking for other arrangements.

TLTR However this is what I want to respond to in the first ~20 posts.
Move ! Who knows what kinda shit they'd pull once you got your LTC and a firearm....Not worth the hassle......
Precisely! MA red flag law could have any of them conjuring up a threatening situation and you could get arrested and gun/LTC confiscated. Not worth fighting and living under these circumstances.
You disobeyed the first rule of gun club: never talk about gun club. Even if you "win" you are going to lose with opposition like that. Pack your bags and find a new place but this time, keep your mouth shut.
Exactly right!
Just wait until they snitch to the CLEO on “suitability” and red flag laws… I wouldn’t own a firearm around “friends” like that.
See my comment above.

Personally, I don't go to places that I'm not wanted. No need to look for trouble. I think this is good advice.

From a few years ago...

1690294294182.png

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5-syMKpg87/?hl=en

After graduating Harvard Grad school she marries THIS guy !!!!

All you need is for one of the a**h***s to say you pointed a gun at them and your problems and legal fees multiply by the bucketful....And ill bet the other two back up the first......Get the f*** out now while your ahead of the game. And put some distance between you and them because i bet they'll carry a grudge....
Regretably true. In some towns "He never threatened me, has never shown any tendency towards violence, but I do not feel safe with him having a gun" is enough for LTC revocation.

As to the lease, who signed it? If multiple, am I correct in assuming it joint and several?

OP - learn to shut up about your business.
I doubt a 'no guns' clause would be struck down by Massachusetts courts but if there isn't one already then getting you out is going to be hard for the landlord.
However for your roommates it's one 'I don't feel safe' call away from you receiving a red flag prohibition and being barred from entering the apartment you will still be required bu the lease to pay for.

Bringing up the issue with your roommates was a turn onto a one way street - you can only move out even if you don't pursue a license.
If you give in, you have lost all power and respect. If you don't they will involve the man in your life in ways that will crush you.
Start looking for other arrangements.

Yup, OP now has to worry about being red flagged since roommates can do that and the courts will side with them.

Lesson learned: Move out & get better roommates, keep your mouth shut about gun ownership

Educate yourself on how to Not Pay Rent.

My mother got screwed out of $18,000 in massachusetts court because she forgot to send duplicate bank statements of the interest on the security deposit.
The judge sided with the welfare section 8 drug dealers
Ah yes, I’m guessing “treble damages” which means if you make a minor procedural or accounting error, don’t pay your tenant the $0.24 they accrued in interest, kept it in a non-escrow bank account (even if you’ve returned it in full!!)? Now you owe your tenant 3x their security deposit plus costs in punitive damages. Dumbest shit ever that many many landlords know nothing about.

As both a gun owner and landlord in MA, deep down I must have strong hatred for myself.

Tell them we are all getting kicked out because you narced! Take them out the door with you.

And remind them not to flush their manpons down the toilet.

Seriously, don’t give them a reason to red flag you and learn to STFU in the future

We have a saying here. “Concealed mean’s CONCEALED”.

ETA: Awaiting parody thread…

An eviction is not "I am throwing you out", but a court order with a mandated eviction date at which point a constable or sheriff from the civil process division (yes Len, I know constables are technically LEs) shows up with the eviction order and a state certified eviction mover. pre-paid by the landlord, to haul your ass out of the place. Self help; shutting off utilities or changing locks are all illegal and puts you, the tenant, in the role of "crime victim".

And in eviction court, always ask for more time.

Consider NOT getting an LTC, getting a locked safe to store your spare change, and declining any requests for search without a warrant. Now, in court its "I don't have an LTC, never had one, and do not possess directly or constructively any firearms, rifles or shotguns. Can't revoke your LTC - you don't have one. No laws broken. No lease violations. Get the LTC after the battle is over, and do NOT admit you are not getting an LTC to anyone except the court in a hearing.

And, if you do move out, be sure to negotiate a written release from all lease obligations including those to pay your roommates share if you are easier to extract if from you than them (yes, it's almost certainly in the lease - just look for the term "joint and several")

* - Edit with corrections provided by LenS

Last edited:
Rob, LEOs (police) are prohibited by MGL from serving civil process (ROs being the exception, or nobody cares). Only constables and deputy sheriffs in the civil process division can serve them.

Self-help doesn't make him "crime victim" but rather "criminal"!

All you need is for one of the a**h***s to say you pointed a gun at them and your problems and legal fees multiply by the bucketful....And ill bet the other two back up the first......Get the f*** out now while your ahead of the game. And put some distance between you and them because i bet they'll carry a grudge....
Sound advice. Smart folks pick their fights carefully, focusing on "What's the gain?" "What's the cost?" and "What's the risk of losing?" This one meets none of those criteria.

I think I'm going to continue to pursue an LTC and fight for my rights. I'm not going to be walked on by them. If it comes to it, I will fight this in court.
AS many have stated, get some real friends, look for another place, depending on your town your lease will probably be up by the time you get the LTC. If all else fails tell them your going for transgender surgery, can't touch ya.

Rob, LEOs (police) are prohibited by MGL from serving civil process (ROs being the exception, or nobody cares). Only constables and deputy sheriffs in the civil process division can serve them.

Self-help doesn't make him "crime victim" but rather "criminal"!
I was responding to someone in the role of tenant, hence the term "crime victim".

Thanks for the corrections - post updated.

LenS knows for sure, but I've heard that it takes at least 18 months to evict someone.

That said, as Derek noted, these are not friends.

It's massachusetts?
Play the game. Refuse to leave. Do what the Stoneham police officer does. Exactly what he does.
Same with the guy who refused to leave for 20 years in New York.
You can be the landlords worst nightmare. Trust me. Lmfao worst state to be a landlord is mass lmfao

LenS knows for sure, but I've heard that it takes at least 18 months to evict someone.

That said, as Derek noted, these are not friends.
The norm is 6 months minimum and if during the Winter or with small children, it is usually extended.

It is also tough to find a constable to physically evict someone living in a group situation. I refused one of those even though I knew the homeowner for many years.

The constable is responsible to remove all of the evicted person's possessions WITHOUT touching anyone else's possessions. All it takes is one person to claim that you left something behind or took another person's item and the constable is looking at a lawsuit. No thank you!

WTF...STFU! The old saying "Don't ask Don't Tell. Oh by the way because you told your room mates makes you UNQUALIFIED for a LTC and a Blabber Mouth!

Living with those sort of roommates is going to be very stressful.

Ask the land lord to nullify your portion of the lease and return your deposit - and say you'll be happy to move out.

Get your own place.

Back
Top Bottom