• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Landlord and roommates threatening to kick me out for pursuing an LTC, looking for lawyer

I told my roommates that I had taken the firearm safety class and that I was pursuing my LTC. My roommates told my landlord, and they all expressed concerns about my "intention to purchase a firearm," as they put it. My roommates have told me that the landlord said that either I leave or we all leave. There is nothing in the lease about firearms being prohibited. Also, we signed the leave already for this year. Also, I have not even submitted my LTC paperwork. I have no firearms currently, I cannot possess them because, again, I have not even applied for my LTC yet. Is there a lawyer who specializes in tenant law along with firearms law that can help me navigate this?

Yeah find a lawyer. What little research I did says MA is silent on whether landlords can or cannot prohibit firearms. Generally when there is nothing to stop them they are free to impose conditions like that.

However I think the fact it’s not in the lease is your winning point.

Definitely get a lawyer and ask cause this is my best guess

Are you living with randos? Some things are better left unsaid. You have a lease. You can't be kicked out except for not paying or otherwise violating the lease. Not offering renewal is another ball game altogether though.

ETA: I'm calling potential BS they even talked to the landlord. Sounds like squeamish roommates.

Are you living with randos? Some things are better left unsaid. You have a lease. You can't be kicked out except for not paying or otherwise violating the lease. Not offering renewal is another ball game altogether though.

ETA: I'm calling potential BS they even talked to the landlord. Sounds like squeamish roommates.
im actually living with my friends of over 11 years haha. f***ing snakes. they told me that they talked to the landlord and that the landlord either wants me or all of us to leave. we signed a renewal lease already for what its worth

im actually living with my friends of over 11 years haha. f***ing snakes. they told me that they talked to the landlord and that the landlord either wants me or all of us to leave. we signed a renewal lease already for what its worth
You need new friends. Ones that support freedom.

I still think they may be telling stories since you said they seem concerned. If you have a copy of that lease signed by the landlord, they are going to be out of luck getting you out during that term. But, I would plan on living somewhere else after the lease expires... Either your roommates suck or your roommates and the landlord suck.

I told my roommates that I had taken the firearm safety class and that I was pursuing my LTC. My roommates told my landlord, and they all expressed concerns about my "intention to purchase a firearm," as they put it. My roommates have told me that the landlord said that either I leave or we all leave. There is nothing in the lease about firearms being prohibited. Also, we signed the leave already for this year. Also, I have not even submitted my LTC paperwork. I have no firearms currently, I cannot possess them because, again, I have not even applied for my LTC yet. Is there a lawyer who specializes in tenant law along with firearms law that can help me navigate this?
You currently have no LTC ✅
You stated you applied for one ✅
Your friends are anti 2A ✅
Your landlord is anti 2A ✅
Your freedom of speech is still protected ✅

Tell your friends and landlord to EABOD

Or

Cling to your friends/landlord and apologize for wanting to exercise your rights.

If you get your LTC and your landlord posts the premises or makes note in the lease that no weapons are allowed on the premises then that is his/her legal right to do so. You must abide by that.

OP, what you should do in response is to drive in front of them all the time, but make sure you're moving 5mph under the limit. That'll learn 'em.

Hell, do it while walking, too.

I'd call their bluff. Exercise your constitutional rights and dare the landlord to boot you. Of course, be prepared to not renew that lease... but then, that's a decision you should have already made.

I think I'm going to continue to pursue an LTC and fight for my rights. I'm not going to be walked on by them. If it comes to it, I will fight this in court.

Why throw time and money into a court case? Do you think the air in the apartment is going to be clear when you win? And if you do win, what's to stop the landlord from raising the rent so you have to move anyway?

I think I'm going to continue to pursue an LTC and fight for my rights. I'm not going to be walked on by them. If it comes to it, I will fight this in court.

Yes to the first two sentences. But a court fight will only lock you into a yearlong sentence with people who now hate you.

I'd start looking for a new place, myself.

Fight what in court? Sounds like they'd be the ones trying to break the lease. Tell your landlord you only are intending to get a basic shotgun for home defense as recommended by the current president and then negotiate a fee for you to move out. LTC takes a couple months, tell him you agree to move out in two months as long as those two months are rent free. I was a landlord, never would've tried to get a tenant removed for something like this, but cash for keys is very real. He'd probably rather have you gone easily then staying for a year and "building an arsenal"

Are you sure you want a firearm in a location you won't be living for long term. More laws and responsibilities to follow .
Something to think about.
Also, stop telling people anything. Don't tell anyone it's not their business.
You do you. You're not telling them to not read books and bake cakes lol. Live your life.

No need for court bro. Just ignore the fools and move on with your day. If you have no firearms currently on the premises then you have nothing to worry about. This is MA we are talking about. No amount of money is worth it nor is your reputation worth it to take anything to a court of law. Avoid the man at all costs.

It's massachusetts?
Play the game. Refuse to leave. Do what the Stoneham police officer does. Exactly what he does.
Same with the guy who refused to leave for 20 years in New York.
You can be the landlords worst nightmare. Trust me. Lmfao worst state to be a landlord is mass lmfao

All you need is for one of the a**h***s to say you pointed a gun at them and your problems and legal fees multiply by the bucketful....And ill bet the other two back up the first......Get the f*** out now while your ahead of the game. And put some distance between you and them because i bet they'll carry a grudge....

Sounds like they are lying to you.
What a bunch of losers.

They go behind your back and tattletale lmfao. Do they not want you to have your freedom of speech either?

You should stop paying rent immediately. I would make the most fun out of this.

That landlord needs to mind his or.her business and stop trampling on your rights.

What's next. They come for your religion. ?

Back
Top Bottom