• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Land Nav Simplified

Junior314

NES Life Member
NES Member
I never served in the military and I wasn't a boyscout. I have been watching alot of YouTube videos trying to soak up alot of information.

Came across the video/channel below. I think the way this guy delivers the lesson makes it very easy to understand. If what he is saying is BS someone more experienced than I can call me on it.

View: https://youtu.be/gn_yY6L8wy4

Declination math was the only hard thing to master, for me, and that was because I did my map learning on a map with easterly declination but had to do most of my actual career with westerly. And then I spent a lot of time training at a place with zero declination.

It was not that easy for me to do rapidly. It's a perishable skill, too; needs practice.

The best thing I ever learned, when walking an azimuth, is that you should never pass trees on the same side (usually the right). That'll throw you off over time. You should always alternate.

Back
Top Bottom