• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Navy SEAL Survival Kit

P-14

NES Member
As reported in Time Magazine here.

SEALs aren’t supposed to find themselves in trouble that they can’t get out of. That’s why the Navy is seeking to buy 300 new survival kits for the Naval Special Warfare Development Group, sometimes known as Navy SEAL Team 6.
======

So the survival kits – a complete kit includes both hard and soft cases — have to be able to endure SEAL abuse.

The hard case is 4-by-2-by-1.2 inches, weighing six ounces or less, and available in both “Desert Tan” or “OD/Forest Green.”

Beyond those particulars, the hard case shall be:

– Capable of limited cooking without effecting the container finish (i.e. paint bubbling)

– Capable of being used as a limited digging implement without affecting its ability to house contents (simultaneous function of digging and housing not required).

– Shall have a weather resistant gasket able to keep out water during minor water immersion (i.e. river crossings, swimming)

– Shall have a fastening system that is reuseable and secure to prevent accidental openings

– Top surface of kit must have permanently affixed a 2” x 3” piece of loop fastener (i.e. soft side of velcro)

– Ruggedized to take heavy abuse while carried without damage to inner contents

– Case shall securely hold all items below without rattling or other noises.
The soft case, measuring 3.5 by 2.25 inches, will feature a U.S. flag patch (so much for keeping your nationality secret, although one has to believe it’s removable), be “subdued desert in color” and feature a “hook fastener (i.e. hard side of velcro) sewed to back with a slit in order to store and retrieve contents below yet hold contents down while worn.”

The SEAL’s hard-storage case will contain (quoting directly from the solicitation):

1. Mini-Multi Tool with:

a. Stainless Steel
b. Pliers
c. Wire cutter
d. File
e. Awl
f. Packaged so as to not rattle in case

2. Button Compass
a. Quality AA
b. 14mm
c. Liquid dampened
d. Minimum 8 hour luminous

3. LED Squeeze Light
a. Red
b. Continuous or Momentary Switch

4. Fire Starting Kit
a. Ferro cerium rod not to exceed 3”L x 8mm W
b. Tinder tabs (4) packaged in reclosing bag.

5. Water Storage Device
a. 2L capacity
b. Able to hold all contents of the kit
c. Must be sealable and reuseable
d. Must be odor proof

6. Water Purification Tablets
a. 40 tablets
b. Packaged in amber, medical grade borosilicate

7. Electrolyte Tablets
a. 2 tablets

8. Signal Mirror
a. 2”x 3”
b. Non-mirrored side covered with an IR reflective material
c. Mirror side must be protected to prevent scratches. Protective cover must be able to be removed with one hand.
d. Must have an aiming hole

9. Thermal Blanket
a. 21” x 56” x .05mil
b. Polyester, aluminized
c. 1 side silver, other side orange
d. Packaged in plastic with easy tear pre-cuts

10. Kevlar Line
a. Yellow or green in color
b. 188lb test
c. 15 feet in length
d. Packaged in plastic with easy tear pre-cuts

11. Safety Pins
a. Two #2 (1.5” steel)
b. Two #00 (.75” brass)
c. Packaged in plastic with easy tear pre-cuts.

12. P-38 can opener
a. Packaged so as to not rattle while in case.

13. Stainless Steel Wire
a. 2’ of 20ga

14. Duct Tape
a. Brown or Green in color
b. 26” x 2”

15. Fresnel Magnifying Lens
a. 4x power
b. 3.25” x 2”

16. Waterproof Note Paper
a. 4 sheets
b. Desert tan color
c. 3.5” x 2”

17. Ink Pen
a. Pressurized ink cartridge
b. Black in color

18. Broad Spectrum Antibiotic Ointment
a. 1/32oz foil pack

19. Cotton Pad
a. 100% Cotton
b. 2” x 2.5”

The contents of the soft storage case will include:

1. Hacksaw Blade
a. Carbon Steel
b. 24tpi
c. 2.75” L
d. Hole in one end for a lanyard
e. Opposite hole end, sharpen down reverse tanto-style end.

2. Ceramic Razor Blade
a. 1 or 2 sides sharpened
b. Packaged so as to not accidentally cut anything or dull

3. Moleskin Adhesive Patch
a. Heavy duty
b. 1.75” x 2.5”

4. Kevlar Thread
a. Green or yellow
b. 100-200lb test
c. 24” in length
d. Packaged in plastic with easy tear pre-cuts.

5. Fishing Leader/Downrigger Cable
a. Multi-strand
b. Stainless steel
c. 50lb test
d. 24” in length

6. Suspended Navigation Magnet
a. Identifiable north painting feature
b. Magnet suspended from thread/string

7. Ferro Cerium Rod
a. 1.75” L x .125”W

8. Cotton Ball
a. Impregnated with wax.
b. Packaged in a reclosing bag.

9. Bobby Pins
a. Spring steel
b. 2 small
c. 1 large
d. Black in color

10. Handcuff Shim (Pick)

11. Universal Handcuff Key
a. Non-metallic resin material

Time to refresh my kit!

Last edited:
10. Handcuff Shim (Pick)

11. Universal Handcuff Key
a. Non-metallic resin material

Apparently SEALs fight bond villains because the dumbest terrorist should be smart enough to not hand them this kit in order to retrieve the key and pick...

my guess it is used to remove cuffs of those they rescue

THen why would it be packaged in the emergency survival kit? I would think you would want it much more readily available.

I would think that if this were packaged for SEALS anything that is metal and could get wet would be inside the waterproof container. It seems like the hacksaw blade and the bobby pins would get wet and rust very quickly. Why not have the water purification tabs individually packaged like the micropur? If you drop the glass bottle or spill them all you are out of luck. Why 4 tidertabs inside but then wax impregnated cotton outside. Same with why a ferro rod on the inside and outside. Maybe they are designed to work as 2 seperate kits? Why an ink pen and not a pencil?

Apparently SEALs fight bond villains because the dumbest terrorist should be smart enough to not hand them this kit in order to retrieve the key and pick...
You say that but I know an SF guy who used a key to release himself - but it was so he could ahve the weekend off.

Its not outside the realm of possibility that this kit could be say...opened before a contact, and items removed and secreted upon ones person. Something like a non-metallic handcuff key could be hidden in the digestive system through either the top floor or the basement, and retrieved later.

THen why would it be packaged in the emergency survival kit? I would think you would want it much more readily available.

I would think that if this were packaged for SEALS anything that is metal and could get wet would be inside the waterproof container. It seems like the hacksaw blade and the bobby pins would get wet and rust very quickly. Why not have the water purification tabs individually packaged like the micropur? If you drop the glass bottle or spill them all you are out of luck. Why 4 tidertabs inside but then wax impregnated cotton outside. Same with why a ferro rod on the inside and outside. Maybe they are designed to work as 2 seperate kits? Why an ink pen and not a pencil?

it's the government who knows why they do what they do

I'm wondering if these types of kits are more for training purposes. If you read some books about the SEALS they always say they play by "big boy rules", which means each member decides what they carry and they have very wide leeway to build their own kit and gear. But a kit like this would be ideal for survival school training and from there that would certainly influence their decision as to what to carry.

These guys don't need a kit, they can improvise everything in it. It's not the kit? It's the one using it.
Take one item in the kit and use it ten ways in which it was not intended for.
Now blow something up!!! That's a SEAL.

These guys don't need a kit, they can improvise everything in it. It's not the kit? It's the one using it.
Take one item in the kit and use it ten ways in which it was not intended for.
Now blow something up!!! That's a SEAL.
Horses for courses. There are now websites with historic survival items and this is pretty darned close to some of the Vietnam-era SF kits, with some modern updates.

Kevlar cord is amazing stuff - the backstay on my sailboat is now Kevlar line instead of stainless wire.
I'm puzzled about the P38 requirement if they have a multi-tool.

I'd never heard of a ceramic razor blade, seems like a handy item to have.

anyone interested in doing a psuedo group but to set up a comparable kit? Get 20 people together each person is responsible to bring one or two items enough for 20 people, for more expensive items the person can collect the money prior if need be, we did this with the boy scouts and it worked out well.

Its not outside the realm of possibility that this kit could be say...opened before a contact, and items removed and secreted upon ones person. Something like a non-metallic handcuff key could be hidden in the digestive system through either the top floor or the basement, and retrieved later.

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner! Good God people just because it was in the kit doesn't mean it has to stay in the kit. Hey bullets come in a box too! What are all those crazy ****s doing taking them out and putting them in mags?

This is a pretty complete survival kit. Covers all the basics, but IMHO someone would need to be trained to use it to be some what comfortable. You would still need a good knife IMO...
I'd like to try a weekend with it....It would be a bitch in winter... What was the price for this kit?

Back
Top Bottom