Ladder stand or hang-on stand?

What are you hunting and where? Public land or private? What's your budget? Are you planning to leave it up for a week, for the season, indefinitely? Bow, firearm? Each situation is unique.
Personally I use hang on stands due to the fact they are cheap(er), easier to conceal and lock on public land, much more portable, and I leave them up for the season, then take them down and start over with scouting the next season.
If you have a nice quiet spot, or private land and plan on leaving it up for quite some time, I have found the ease of not only getting up into your stand, but shooting and comfort is much better/easier in a ladder stand.
Both have pros and cons dependant on your situation. I use 2-3 cheap hangers and shift them about as necessary. You can even go climber stand if you have the budget and plan on shifting around?

I use a Hang on stand for the same reasons listed above, and also because it is a little easyier to find extenstions for the hang on ladders. I like to hunt at about 25 feet. I use two additoinal 4ft extentions to get that height. I personally think that ladder stands stick out like a sore thumb.

I have hunted in hang on ,ladder and climbers. I have had success in all three. If you have a spot that you are confident that other people will not use your stand the ladder is the easiest and most quiet to get in and out of. The ladders I have hunted in have been in the same place for yrs and the deer pay no attention to it.The disadvantage is the height restrictions of the ladder. With that being said if you can only have one type of stand a quality climber is the most versatile for your money.

I have hunted in hang on ,ladder and climbers. I have had success in all three. If you have a spot that you are confident that other people will not use your stand the ladder is the easiest and most quiet to get in and out of. The ladders I have hunted in have been in the same place for yrs and the deer pay no attention to it.The disadvantage is the height restrictions of the ladder. With that being said if you can only have one type of stand a quality climber is the most versatile for your money.

+1 Here. I have a couple ladder stands in different spots that have been there for years. It makes it easy to get in and out and they are ignored. I also have a climber for spots I can't leave a stand at or if I know of an area that is getting a lot of traffic.

Thanks for the comments guys and +1 to all of you. I had ruled out the climbers because of price but now realize they are much more versatile they are. How high do you guys place your stands? I thought the 16 feet of a ladder would have been plenty high enough but it seems most of you go higher? Are most of you hunting higher up with bows than you would with a shotgun/muzzle? I understand you can certainly survey a lot more but doesn't that make for some difficult angled shots?

I'm right around 20-22ft. I don't bowhunt though, that is with a rifle/shotgun. My hang-on's came with four 5ft. extensions and I get that bottom extrension up off the ground as high as I can. Most of my shots are 50-100 yds, out, obviously shot angle isn't a problem with gun hunting. I'm sure someone more bowhunting savvy can comment though.

I go with ladders whenever possible.Quiet,sturdy,fast and safe(especially with heavy clothes in cold weather).I shot a 6 point and a 4 point this year out of a 16 foot ladder.I could have spit on the 6 point. Placement is key, preferably a hardwood(so you don't get covered in sap) with a long branched pine or hemlock next to you for cover.

i dont like ladders. But like everyone said above, they are extremely quiet, and doesnt take any effort to climb which is good.

to be honest, i find hunting from the ground much easier. If you are going to be hunting animals like coyotes (you might need to move around every 30min or so), then dont use a stand. For deer, a stand should work.

what about a blind? did you give that a thought? You can even set up your own blinds and move around the woods. Just cut a few branches, cover them with leaves or camo net and leaves, and you are good to go. Cheap, fun, you dont worry about losing it, and it looks more natural.

I make my own chair out of downed trees. Don't have to worry about moving them, just build another. I must have a half dozen in the woods now.

Thanks for the comments guys and +1 to all of you. I had ruled out the climbers because of price but now realize they are much more versatile they are. How high do you guys place your stands? I thought the 16 feet of a ladder would have been plenty high enough but it seems most of you go higher? Are most of you hunting higher up with bows than you would with a shotgun/muzzle? I understand you can certainly survey a lot more but doesn't that make for some difficult angled shots?

If you don't have that far to go into the woods, Sportsmans Guide makes a climber thats $80. Its on the heavy side being steel but its big and roomy. I bought one for Shits and giggles last year due to the price and it actually worked out great. Its a PIA to trek deep into the woods but its sturdy and quiet while climbing. If you need to walk it deep into the woods I would recommend one of the alum ones like a Viper. They are in the $300 and up range.

As for the height, I'm usually in the 15-20 feet range. This is with the ladders or climbers.

Ladders shine in young growth, there was a former sand pit I would hunt that all the trees were in the 2-3" diameter range. no way to put a climber or hang on in there but you would pull a bunch of the trees together and get yourself up enough to see over the smaller growth. no matter which stand you go with make sure to get a good harness

Back
Top Bottom