Kmart Ammo

My dad has a Mauser that he bought at Monkey Wards back in the early sixties for about $20. I grew up thinking it was a war trophy from his uncle, but he recently told me how he really got it.

luls i worked at a kmart back when they sold ammo still, but after they did away with the guns.

the guy who ran the sporting goods department always smelled... ripe. the kind of smell that lingered in the air. as in you could stand at time time clock and sniff the air, and you could tell whether he'd punched in that day or not.

thinking about it makes me want to vomit, and that was... 11 years ago?

What was Lechmere anyway? Sporting goods store? My grandfather gave me some old 12 gauge 3" magnum loads and some other bird loads that were priced at $4.99 and had a Lechmere sticker. I don't hunt so I don't know shotgun hunting load prices but I'd imagine the price of those loads now must be 3X that.

It was a dept. store.

Len Ames did sell rifles and shotguns. I worked there many years ago and I remember having to log in the ammo when people bought it.
So many places that used to carry guns. I used to enjoy going into the Worcester Fair to look at what they had.

I remember all of the above.

I bought my very first gun at Lechmere . . . a Winchester 190 rifle. Sold it not long afterwards however.

I never bought a gun at Service Merchandise but did attend their "we are getting out of the gun business" sale in the Stoughton store.

Caldors, Zayres, Bradlees, Grants, & Ames never sold guns AFAIK. I bought ammo at The Fair and Spags.

Now a funny Constable story. In 2007 the Securities Exchange Commission had me <try> to serve legal papers on Bradlees!!! They had been out of business (bankruptcy) since 2000. Something about blood from a stone? Hey, I got paid to drive to a location in Braintree to confirm "yup, they aren't here any more!"

Len Ames did sell rifles and shotguns. I worked there many years ago and I remember having to log in the ammo when people bought it.
So many places that used to carry guns. I used to enjoy going into the Worcester Fair to look at what they had.

I never remember seeing any guns/ammo in an Ames, but it wasn't a store that I frequented.

It was $13.47??? Damn that's expensive for old ammo, it must've been purchased during the 80s version of "Obamascare?"

I remember back in 2004 I was getting 9mm for about $6 a box. (if purchased in bulk)

-Mike

What was Lechmere anyway? Sporting goods store? My grandfather gave me some old 12 gauge 3" magnum loads and some other bird loads that were priced at $4.99 and had a Lechmere sticker. I don't hunt so I don't know shotgun hunting load prices but I'd imagine the price of those loads now must be 3X that.

Lechmere was awesome. That's what it was. Think Bestbuy but done right without all the douchiness of the typical Bestbuy employee.

They sold electronics (good ones though not the highest end), cameras, sporting goods, appliances, jewelry, kitchen wares and some other stuff.

Lechmere was awesome. That's what it was. Think Bestbuy but done right without all the douchiness of the typical Bestbuy employee.

They sold electronics (good ones though not the highest end), cameras, sporting goods, appliances, jewelry, kitchen wares and some other stuff.

Yup, Lechmeres was one of my favorite places along with Spags the Worcester Fair and Service Merchaindise.

No doubt I basically lived at the Lechmere in the Taunton Mall ( AKA Silver City Galleria) as a kid, buying CDs, my first real Stereo (AIWA, haha), etc. I remember when the Taunton Mall was nice and new and not the crap hole it is now.

Back
Top Bottom