Kmart Ammo

My brother is always good for an unusual Christmas gift, and this year he really outdid himself. The 30 round AK mags are cool, the 5 round AK mags are really cool, but the 9mm ammo with the Kmart price tag is the best.

How long has it been since you could by ammo at Kmart?

I used to buy ammo at the hardware store in Ashburnham center. Before that old one burned down.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I remember Service Merchaindise. I even worked at the one in Auburn but I don't remember them selling guns.
I also remember Lechmere and Caldors, Zayres, Bradlee's and Grants but I don't remember them selling guns.
I do also remember Ames, Sears & Roebuck(Sears) The Fair and Spags which did sell guns.
In fact The Fair sold handguns besides long guns.

I remember Service Merchandise, Lechmere, Caldor, Bradlees, etc. [laugh]

I remember Service Merchaindise. I even worked at the one in Auburn but I don't remember them selling guns.
I also remember Lechmere and Caldors, Zayres, Bradlee's and Grants but I don't remember them selling guns.
I do also remember Ames, Sears & Roebuck(Sears) The Fair and Spags which did sell guns.
In fact The Fair sold handguns besides long guns.

I remember all of the above.

I bought my very first gun at Lechmere . . . a Winchester 190 rifle. Sold it not long afterwards however.

I never bought a gun at Service Merchandise but did attend their "we are getting out of the gun business" sale in the Stoughton store.

Caldors, Zayres, Bradlees, Grants, & Ames never sold guns AFAIK. I bought ammo at The Fair and Spags.

Now a funny Constable story. In 2007 the Securities Exchange Commission had me <try> to serve legal papers on Bradlees!!! They had been out of business (bankruptcy) since 2000. Something about blood from a stone? Hey, I got paid to drive to a location in Braintree to confirm "yup, they aren't here any more!"

I went shooting with my brother today and he brought his little 25. He had an old box of Remington ammo, 50 rds and the price tag was 4.97, marked down from 5.25

What was Lechmere anyway? Sporting goods store? My grandfather gave me some old 12 gauge 3" magnum loads and some other bird loads that were priced at $4.99 and had a Lechmere sticker. I don't hunt so I don't know shotgun hunting load prices but I'd imagine the price of those loads now must be 3X that.

I went shooting with my brother today and he brought his little 25. He had an old box of Remington ammo, 50 rds and the price tag was 4.97, marked down from 5.25

fyi…they have a box of remington .25 at worcester walmart. just one, and i was wondering why the hell they would carry such an obsolete caliber. it's been there for weeks, and was just there yesterday and saw it.

What was Lechmere anyway? Sporting goods store? My grandfather gave me some old 12 gauge 3" magnum loads and some other bird loads that were priced at $4.99 and had a Lechmere sticker. I don't hunt so I don't know shotgun hunting load prices but I'd imagine the price of those loads now must be 3X that.
It was like a Sears.... but more geared towards electronics I think.... I was young then.

I have some 22lr ammo from the 80's from my father that he bought from the fair that used to be where wal-mart is in west boylston pretty funny i think there 100round boxes priced@ 2 bucks a piece

Last edited:
Lechmere was a family owned business with 3 or 4 locations. It was a general department store but hard goods only, no clothing or food.

Hell, I remember when you could buy .22 ammo for 1cent/rd at the local hardware store, no age or permit requirements at all.

I remember when the Sears in Kenmore square was still operating, sort of, probably around 1970 or so. The basement had some sporting goods and some bins of what turned out to be shotgun shells. I recall I asked my dad what they were.

WT Grants in rockland sold guns and ammo when I was
little. When Kmart took it over the gun counter continued up
until they closed in the 90's. guess I'm now officially old :)

Lechmere was a family owned business with 3 or 4 locations. It was a general department store but hard goods only, no clothing or food.

Hell, I remember when you could buy .22 ammo for 1cent/rd at the local hardware store, no age or permit requirements at all.

I think Kmart ammo ended when Sears got involved. In the 1970s Kmart was like Walmart is today. They had a good hunting/firearms/ammo/hunting clothing section. We had one in North Attleboro at Triboro Plaza and there was one in Sharon. If NA didn't have it, you just jumped on 95 and rode a few exits to the other store. You could go to Bliss Brothers for the ice cream at both plazas too. [grin] When I was at Northeastern University, I could go to the campus rifle range and get .22 ammo to shoot there for two cents each. This price included targets, the use of a rifle (Remington 513?), spotting scope, jacket, sling, mat, and elbow pad. I bought a Ruger 77 3006 at Service Merchandise for $225. That was before the big going out of the firearms business sale. Got some 3" 410s for $2.48 a box at The Faire in Milford. Lechmere used to have great sales. I got some nice Case knives for 4 or 5 dollars each. I used to love Colmans in Sharon. They had quite a large inventory of reloading components. I used to get Sierra bullets for my .41 mag there. They were behind the counter. I would ask: What's the price on those 170s? They would say a price. Then I would ask, what about the box behind them? They would read a lower price! I'll take those thanks. IIRC they were going for around $6.00 per 100. That was when you reloading was economical. Apex in Pawtucket used to have a large firearms section too. Service Merchandise had a huge section in Seekonk. Bought a Taurus PT22 there. They had the ammo and extra magazines, holsters etc. Too bad those days are gone. Pretty soon, we will be talking about Pre-ban ammo with those lead bullets...
White Feather

Back
Top Bottom