• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kimber K6s - anyone shoot one, is it legal here?

MaxStravinsky

NES Member
So I just discovered this revolver on another site, someone bought it as their first revolver and couldn't hit anything with it.
I happen to love my 638, so I really like the look of this gun.

Has anyone shoot it? How would shooting .38spl through it compare to a J-frame airweight?
Would this be legal in MA? (I know the Kimber semi-autos aren't, I'm just kind of hoping the same BS doesn't apply to revolvers).

So I just discovered this revolver on another site, someone bought it as their first revolver and couldn't hit anything with it.

Has anyone shoot it? How would shooting .38spl through it compare to a J-frame airweight?
Would this be legal in MA? (I know the Kimber semi-autos aren't, I'm just kind of hoping the same BS doesn't apply to revolvers).
I think you mean compliant. They’re perfectly legal to own in MA. No they are not MA compliant.

Last edited:
From my experience, kimbers are like the hot chicks that aren’t tight and don’t know how it’s done....dead fish style. They look amazing, but don’t work that well.

I can’t imagine why a revolver would not be commie compliant....other than they didn’t pay the Kings tax??

I can’t imagine any state would ban a six shot revolver, that said there are probably better choices than Kimber for revolvers.

For as much disdain as I have for Krapber, the last two or three K6S I fondled looked like a high quality product. It was to the point that I would
even try one. The trigger was actually nice, much better than most stock j-frame triggers, etc.

For as much disdain as I have for Krapber, the last two or three K6S I fondled looked like a high quality product...
How was the balance? Nose-heavy or flat? Sights any good for a short radius combat-style? You know, just looking down them...

One of my pet peeves is the statement that certain guns are illegal in MA. Perhaps people are being told at their
safety class that this is so. The magical no list, list, is only for transfer by FFL. Some dealers don't care, and will transfer these with a big FU to Maura. You will not have a problem being on the receiving end. FTF private sales are fine, as well.
Buy what you want with no recourse, following the protocol in our state of Mass confusion.

How was the balance? Nose-heavy or flat? Sights any good for a short radius combat-style? You know, just looking down them...

I don't remember much about the balance, it felt good in the hand. Above-average gutter sight on the ones I've seen in person. I really want to see what the 3" job looks like up close, but have not seen one of those yet.

That's how I feel if I carried my 45 appendix, my preferred choice. Hell, even in ladies summer wear my gen4/26 does that!
Purse carry if I have to.

Looks heavy though.
I guess not...
"The world’s lightest production 6-shot .357 Magnum revolver." (23 oz. empty)

The 5-shot S&W 340PD comes in at 11.8 oz. (empty)
This one I own and shoot full-house .357magnum Gold Dots in...
1593579044627.png

Last edited:

I have a Kimber semi auto and live in mass. Am I going to jail?!?!??? 🙄

For as much disdain as I have for Krapber, the last two or three K6S I fondled looked like a high quality product. It was to the point that I would
even try one. The trigger was actually nice, much better than most stock j-frame triggers, etc.
This is big news, you have beat Kimber mercilessly over the years!

I guess not...
"The world’s lightest production 6-shot .357 Magnum revolver." (23 oz. empty)

The 5-shot S&W 340PD comes in at 11.8 oz. (empty)
This one I own and shoot full-house .357magnum Gold Dots in...
View attachment 369625

Ryu_Hadoken.png

I have an Ageis II that runs like a top, can't get it to not work. I handled one of these revolvers at a friend's house in VT, didn't get to shoot it, but it felt like it had the lockup of one of those old hand-fit colt revolvers. Sturdy and stout. Shooting good groups with a small revolver would take most people a long time to master.

Yeah, it's a 'crisp' shooter...

Awesome for backpacking. Stick it in a belly band in my appendix, disappears under a shirt. Just gotta keep an eye on the forcing cone, as flame cutting is a problem, and it took me thousands of rounds to master this pistol. I'd bring it to the range and shoot a box of .38+p no problem, then go to the 357 Speer "low recoil" lol. Can only squeeze out about 20 of those before I lose my focus. The CT laser grip is awesome for dry fire practice too. Getting that thing through a DA pull without moving the laser is key to shooting these well.

This is big news, you have beat Kimber mercilessly over the years!

I honestly think a lot of their stuff is overhyped junk, but the K6S seemed exceptionally well done. I would take a chance on one in a heartbeat vs buying another SW640, if anything to get the
extra round and essentially a much better stock trigger.

Last edited:
Awesome for backpacking. Stick it in a belly band in my appendix, disappears under a shirt. Just gotta keep an eye on the forcing cone, as flame cutting is a problem, and it took me thousands of rounds to master this pistol. I'd bring it to the range and shoot a box of .38+p no problem, then go to the 357 Speer "low recoil" lol. Can only squeeze out about 20 of those before I lose my focus. The CT laser grip is awesome for dry fire practice too. Getting that thing through a DA pull without moving the laser is key to shooting these well.

If I could withstand an SW340PD, there's no way in hell I would fire it on the reg except other than with a few rounds of Speer SB to test it, to actually practice I'd get another similar jframe or a second one and beat that gun up in practice. IMHO those guns all have a limited service lifespan and the more rounds you put through it the closer you get to blowing it up. I've lost track of how many people have blown theirs up, there are at least two NES peeps that I know have blown theirs up, and I know a third guy not on NES that blew his up, too. (Actually his is kind of funny, when they repaired it, smith put a .38 SPL+P barrel shroud on it, but his gun is clearly a .357 magnum) No injuries, but the gun stops working after that shot. They pretty much all fail the same way. (the frame cracks near the crane area, whole thing goes out of alignment and cylinder stops turning) In between the horrendous recoil and bad long term service history, those things get a black cross/hard pass from me. I won't even fire one if offered, at this point, because they're so f***in painful. I'd much rather fire a 4" 500 S&W with log or nuclear loads out of it , or even my friend's Ruger Alaskan .454, than that little bastard. At least those two guns have some mass to them. After farting around with small revolvers there is no way at this point I'd go with anything below a SW640 or maybe one of these K6Ss. Sure it weighs more, but it is just as concealable and a hell of a lot more shootable than most of the uber-light revolvers are. Back when I had my SW640 I could even shoot heavy 357 out of it with the little boot grips on it, and while it was annoying, it definitely wasn't nearly as painful as a 340. The 340 is obnoxious enough that you'd have to offer me about $400 to pop off a full cylinder of 357 mag from it, before I'd even think about picking it up. Even then, I'd wear goves, and I'm going to take about 600mg of ibuprofen afterwards. [rofl]

If I could withstand an SW340PD, there's no way in hell I would fire it on the reg except other than with a few rounds of Speer SB to test it, to actually practice I'd get another similar jframe or a second one and beat that gun up in practice. IMHO those guns all have a limited service lifespan and the more rounds you put through it the closer you get to blowing it up. I've lost track of how many people have blown theirs up, there are at least two NES peeps that I know have blown theirs up, and I know a third guy not on NES that blew his up, too. (Actually his is kind of funny, when they repaired it, smith put a .38 SPL+P barrel shroud on it, but his gun is clearly a .357 magnum) No injuries, but the gun stops working after that shot. They pretty much all fail the same way. (the frame cracks near the crane area, whole thing goes out of alignment and cylinder stops turning) In between the horrendous recoil and bad long term service history, those things get a black cross/hard pass from me. I won't even fire one if offered, at this point, because they're so f***in painful. I'd much rather fire a 4" 500 S&W with log or nuclear loads out of it , or even my friend's Ruger Alaskan .454, than that little bastard. At least those two guns have some mass to them. After farting around with small revolvers there is no way at this point I'd go with anything below a SW640 or maybe one of these K6Ss. Sure it weighs more, but it is just as concealable and a hell of a lot more shootable than most of the uber-light revolvers are. Back when I had my SW640 I could even shoot heavy 357 out of it with the little boot grips on it, and while it was annoying, it definitely wasn't nearly as painful as a 340. The 340 is obnoxious enough that you'd have to offer me about $400 to pop off a full cylinder of 357 mag from it, before I'd even think about picking it up. Even then, I'd wear goves, and I'm going to take about 600mg of ibuprofen afterwards. [rofl]

There's something that speaks to me about these guns, it's very black belt about that mindset, to be willing to injure yourself to end a fight. Fits nicely with being willing to break my hand punching someone in the brain.

Back
Top Bottom