Keltec KSG range report

chinalfr

NES Member
I finally got some freetime and head out to the range (indoor) with my newly acquired Keltec KSG. Here is the spec of the Keltec KSG. I have install magpul MBUS Gen 1 sight, Aimpoint CompML2 with Larue mount and tango down short vertical grip. With me, I have 45 rds of bulkpack Winchester 2 3/4" slug (from walmart). Loaded up the KSG and start sending some lead down the range.

My impression for the shotgun.

Pros :
1. Very Accurate (Target picture below)
2. Kick like a mule (as most 12 gauge pump shotgun)
3. 14 + 1 awesomeness (although I can only got 13 + 1 to load)
4. Shot Shell extract downward (not on your face)

Cons :
1. Hard to load ammo into the tube (might need more practices)
2. Transition from tube 1 to tube 2 kind of awkward. (will need more time to get familiar)

With more range time, I think I can overcome the 2 problems. Overall, I'm very happy with the KSG. It chewed all 45 rds of Winchester bulk pack with no mulfunction. It's definitely an awesome zombie annihilator weapon. Next range time, I'll have some buckshot and birdshot.

Here is some pics from the range time.

c6e4c3eb-a1bf-cf20.jpg

c6e4c3eb-a1e3-e41e.jpg

c6e4c3eb-a1fc-f919.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a video of me + KSG. The video was directed by Johnny D (Thanks).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw it mentioned here that these were (surprisingly!) MA legal. I know of Keltecs reputation for crappiness but...I think I am going to have to get one of these anyway. It's kinda tacticool, it's a Keltec.....but god damn....I would sleep like a baby at night knowing this thing was close by. You can do some serious damage with that bitch. Not to mention it must be an INSANEly fun range toy. Buckshot in one tube and slugs in the other and you are good to go.

Your breaking MRAs lame range rules. Shot gun targets should be hung at 75 feet
Not according to the range rules published on their site. Loeb range rules state the following (p.12):

3.01. Hang target so the impact of the bullet is in the berm.

3.02. Black powder shooting is prohibited on this range.

3.03. All bench tops must be in the down position when not in use or when using a pistol.

3.04. All targets must be hung beyond the first baffle with the exception of during MRA Safety and Education Program training.

3.05. Quick draw or hip shooting is prohibited on Association property except during special events Range time for special events may be arranged pursuant to RR1.05.

3.06. All shooting is from the bench or offhand. All long guns (including shotguns) must be shouldered.

3.07. In addition to these range-specific rules, all MRA general Range Rules identified in the first part of this document apply

Not according to the range rules published on their site. Loeb range rules state the following (p.12):

3.01. Hang target so the impact of the bullet is in the berm.

3.02. Black powder shooting is prohibited on this range.

3.03. All bench tops must be in the down position when not in use or when using a pistol.

3.04. All targets must be hung beyond the first baffle with the exception of during MRA Safety and Education Program training.

3.05. Quick draw or hip shooting is prohibited on Association property except during special events Range time for special events may be arranged pursuant to RR1.05.

3.06. All shooting is from the bench or offhand. All long guns (including shotguns) must be shouldered.

3.07. In addition to these range-specific rules, all MRA general Range Rules identified in the first part of this document apply

On the wall they have it posted - targets for pistols must be hung at 30 feet or greater, targets for rifles firing .22lr at 50 feet or greater, and targets for any larger caliber rifle and for shotguns at 75 feet

With that said - pretty much every time I see someone firing a shotgun on the range, they hang their target at 30 feet or less, and half the AR guys do too

Tonight, I finally start to take-down the shotgun. I'm amazed on how easy to take-down the shotgun for cleaning. There are 2 takedown pins holding the trigger group from the receiver. Pop those 2 pins out and lift the trigger group away from the receiver. Remove the stock rearward from the receiver and voila, bolt can be easily removed from the carrier. Run my boresnake through the barrel, wipe the bolt down and reversed the process for assembly. Very nice engineered shotgun.

The KSG getting ready for some upgrade. Item ordered through brownell and will get more range report after parts arrival/installed.

1. Shotshell rail from Mesa Tactical.
2. Carlson Comps Enforcer.

302.jpg

KSG-Enforcer.jpg

Al, can I try this out whenever you bring it to MRA next? I'd love to shoot it.

Sure do. I'm in the process of moving, so you will take a raincheck till my moving process completed. [wink]

BTW, the range nazi wannabe probably will think I'm violates the range rules, again. [rofl][rofl]

Sure do. I'm in the process of moving, so you will take a raincheck till my moving process completed. [wink]

BTW, the range nazi wannabe probably will think I'm violates the range rules, again. [rofl][rofl]

Thanks. Maybe we can load some birdshot in the KSG, and shoot it at 10 feet. Two wrongs make a right.

Thanks. Maybe we can load some birdshot in the KSG, and shoot it at 10 feet. Two wrongs make a right.

I do like the logic. [laugh][laugh]

But I'll damage the lovely indoor range. I'll send some birdshot on to solid object like Porsche, Jeep... not sure what next. [grin]

In case anyone trying to install a Carlson Enforcer compensator, I have the right tool to take the muzzle nuts off. PM me if you need to use the tool.

6f6926d4.jpg

KSG with Carlson Enforcer Compensator (Thanks Alpha1)

30e1711f.jpg

That KSG looks even nastier with the compressor on it, I thought it was already as mean as it could get. Kel-Tec finally made something that caught my eye. [shocked]

Just busting balls calling you out on the 75 foot rule over there. I'm not a fan of most of the rules mra has that's why I'm longer a member.

I'm far from a range nazi.

Back
Top Bottom