• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Keeping your equipment secure at the range

Best to have a loaded gun on your hip, rather than sitting on the bench.
Completely agree. But someone above was taking about having it on the bench. The OBI rules some clubs have seen to be intended to prevent HANDLING of Guns while someone is downrange. Holstered seems to accomplish the same. I'm right there with you.

MF&G range rules explicitly state open action on the bench OR holstered, so that'll be my go to option. Until I buy more guns, anyway.

How many holsters can you wear before you start looking funny?

50 yards down range and some of you think you are going to be able to use a pistol to shoot someone who's got an M4 or some other rifle pointed at you? Good luck with that.

You can use a python cable lock to secure your rifle to the bench when going down range. That's just enough to prevent it from being walked off.

Last edited:
There are ways of at least making the guns inoperable. A long cable lock through all of the handgun barrels and around a post or bench leg works. Remove the bolt from long guns if possible, or use above method.

I have the luxury and good fortune to have a son and son in-law that shoot with me. These guys I can trust with my stuff and more importantly, my life.

One loaded gun always rides in a holster down range with me as well. Just in case.

What he said...

I think I remember something like that happening at my Club once, if I remember right another shooter was there and ran the guy off...

It wouldn't hurt to cable and lock your gun to the bench, a PITA Yes, but doable...

I don't go alone much, but if I'm by myself guns come downrange with me.
We always have one of us stay on the line not only to watch the guns ,but to make sure no one else on the line pulls a shit show while someone is downrange.

ditto..

How many holsters can you wear before you start looking funny?

Just need the right holster...

10521_zpsdlrewdpt.jpg

[laugh]

I only got a weird feeling once after walking back from the 200yd range. I was the only one there and after reaching the 50yd berm I realized I was looking down the barrels of my own guns. No one was there, but it felt creepy.

That being said, I dont have any issues with leaving my stuff at the bench.

Handgun always on my hip. Rifle comes down range with me slung over my shoulder if I brought it that day. Range has cameras on site which is better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom