Keeping things cold in a long term down grid scenario.

We have one of those Coleman 12/120V thermoelectric coolers. I bought it used for $50 and ran it for a week while we were waiting for our new fridge. It cools 40 degrees below ambient.

For mid-term, here's what cruising sailors do. They freeze one gallon water jugs and put them in cooler number one. It is only opened once per day. They have a second cooler with one gallon jug and their food. Each jug lasts around a day. They drink the water, put in a new jug, and fold up the empty carton. But you need enogh freezer space to keep jugs in there.

About 10% of the population is going to die, that's what will happen. It will be a lot bigger %, too, if the month of "no juice" occurs in cold weather.

Last edited:
I mean, come on. People will have eaten the cows and pretty much everything else. So what are you going to need to keep cold, and are you willing to die to maintain some silly remnant of civilization? Most people in this world don't have AC or refrigeration, and a great many lack electricity. Get real. If the power goes off, over 1000's of miles, nobody is going to believe it's coming back after a week or so, and plenty will panic, loot, seek to settle old scores, etc.

About 10% of the population is going to die, that's what will happen. It will be a lot bigger % of the month of no juice occurs in cold weather, too.
a8e9f515.gif

9317768b.gif

Last edited:
We will want to make warm things cold (fridge), and cool things hot (showers, cooking). Strange how that works. At least the sewers are all downhill from me. I have a pool and a well, so they'll have a water supply to flush forever. Now, just to heat the house, and take care of food, and pump water easier.

We will want to make warm things cold (fridge), and cool things hot (showers, cooking). Strange how that works. At least the sewers are all downhill from me. I have a pool and a well, so they'll have a water supply to flush forever. Now, just to heat the house, and take care of food, and pump water easier.

Easy fixes. Wood Stove, Rain Catchment into a cistern, and 12v solar powered pump through well stocked filtration supplies.

I found a generator that will run 85 hours (if I remember correctly) with a 20 pound propane tank. Its only a 1000W generator, but you could get a few propane tanks, or a 100lbs propane tank installed outside, and run it just 3-4 hours per day on a small fridge. That would last you over 6 months. (I will try to find it again and post the link).

As far as heating the house, you could always use a construction propane heater. They use little propnae, and will heat up a 400 sq foot area in 5 minutes (to the point where its too hot if you stand up). Assuming you don't have a fireplace.

Edit: found the generator link -
http://www.generatorsales.com/order/EF1000iS_Bi_Fuel.asp?page=EF1000iS_Bi_Fuel

Last edited:
Dave Silverguns6 cares about his uncle and is looking ahead to help him preserve his insulin. AttaBoy!
I really like the quiet solar panel, charge controller, 12 volt battery, camping cooler idea.
Generators make noise, attracting "scavengers, wolves".
I would find an all day shady spot and insulate with foam sheets in a hole in the ground.
Get a wired remote thermometer to keep track of inside temp without having to open the fridge.
In the winter, snow cover will keep temperature even.

It's easy (lazy) to write-off other folks.

Back
Top Bottom