Keep close track of what you give the NRA.

In June, they called me and asked if I'd like to extend my membership for 2 years for a dscount price and donate extra. I said I'd extend my membership but I wasn't going to donate extra.

I just got something in the mail saying my membership is going to expire. It turns out they took the money I gave as a donation and didn't extend my membership at all.

And btw, where's my damn flashlight!?

Grrr.

If you call up on the 800 number for members, they will usually straighten out any problems quickly.

I wish they would lower the payroll, overhead, employees, pay more attention to hard issues that need to be fought, stop wasting money with all the bulk mail, and stop giving out free Chinese crap with membership.

Spend my money for the cause. Please.

I wish they would lower the payroll, overhead, employees, pay more attention to hard issues that need to be fought, stop wasting money with all the bulk mail, and stop giving out free Chinese crap with membership.

Spend my money for the cause. Please.

In other words you want them to do more with less and be more effective on the cheap?

You really have no idea about all that the NRA does, do you?

Those calls are usually 3rd party contractors. I had 3 NRA memberships floating around at one time. I had a membership, a renewal that was entered as a new membership and I wanted a second magazine which ended up as yet another new membership. It all ended up getting straightened out with a call to the 800 number but what a PITA. I won't even talk to them on the phone any more. I ask them if it is a boogeyman story and when they acknowledge it is I tell them they are preaching to the choir and hang up. All my renewals are done online now. I should have done a life membership 30 years ago but who planned on living that long?

I am so sick of their constant surveys that they keep sending and it alwasy asks for money. I renewed for 3 years when they had a discount and got the free NRA duffle bag. It seems like all they want is money. I want to see some action in MA and rewriting our ridiculous gun laws.

In other words you want them to do more with less and be more effective on the cheap?

You really have no idea about all that the NRA does, do you?

Incorrect.

They bailed on Mass many moons ago and when questioned direct, by me, they admitted this state was a lost cause. FWIW I was very polite.
Additionally, from that day on I kept my GOAL membership alive. Every year, faithfully.
If it wasn't for a local club requiring membership to the NRA to join I still wouldn't. I still give more to GOAL as they do more for this state than the NRA. Even the NRA told me so.
I know just what the NRA does... Nothing by admission, direct by them for MA other than supporting GOAL.

The mailing expense for them must be near 100% of GOAL's yearly income. I never checked so I'm hanging in the wind here.

As for 3rd party calls... Care to guess what the NRA is getting bent over for? My guess is starting at .20 on the 1.00.

I am an NRA member and they called a few months back with a boogeyman story.
The script was "Imagine if you had to register your guns? Imagine the government telling you which guns you can and can't buy, or having to be approved for a gun license?" etc, etc.
I told the person that those laws already exist in MA. The person on the other end was surprised and asked if I would give money anyway to help people in other states.

I'm a member. They called my house asking for my wife. She doesn't even know what my guns even look like nor does she have any desire to. She is certainly not an NRA member and I have ZERO idea how they got her name.

The NRA concentrates on national issues, and on state issues of national significance.

It's up to the state associations to do something about the states. That's how CCW happened in Ohio.

The NRA concentrates on national issues, and on state issues of national significance.

Heller was a national issue and probably the most important one in recent memory. where were they?

They decide to pile on at the last minute when it's a done deal..

Second Amendment rights are very important to me, so I support the NRA, GOAL, and do whatever I can on the local level to make a difference (like write letters and vote correctly). It’s not a lot of money to at least be a member of each organization. Writing letters and voting just take a little time.

I recently read about how the people in England lost their gun rights, and it made me realize how important it is to have a national group looking out for all of our interests. It happened one small right at a time over there, and it’s an important lesson about going from lots of rights to none, because once small rights have been lost, it’s a very slippery slope. The NRA helps keep that from happening even though they may not have much direct involvement in MA issues.

For anyone who does live in MA---specifically Lowell---there is a very important city council election on November 3rd. Electing James Wojas will provide a chance to change the restrictive licensing policy for concealed carry. Please direct everyone you know who lives in Lowell to this thread: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81283

My 4yo has a life membership!

(it's cheaper when they are young, AND you get the InSights magazine as well.)

As soon as my youngest turns 2, he'll get a Life membership too. (Why wait until they are 2? Dunno, just seems like a nice time to do it.)

I never put my phone number on my application in fear that they'd call me all the time. So far, I only get their junk mail surveys. They go straight to the circular file.

I don't give the NRA anything more than my membership dues, for the same reasons others have already mentioned.

Any extra funds I have go to GOAL.

I don't give the NRA anything more than my membership dues, for the same reasons others have already mentioned.

Any extra funds I have go to GOAL.
:: nod ::
Same here, except that for the next year or two, my "any extra funds" are going toward my woefully understocked arsenal.

Both my kids got their life memberships shortly after they were born. Back then, not only were life memberships cheaper, but junior life memberships automatically became adult life memberships when they reached 18 or 21 without any additional payment.

Ken

NRA

I dont blame the NRA.I blame Mass gun owners.you had 1,700,000 licensed
owners.in 1997 in 2000 you had 260,000.and they all did not leave.at one time there were more gun owners than voted in the elections.when the oportunity came I beat feet.I have been an NRA member since 1939,in high school.and a member of the rifle team.a team that was in top in the national
postal matches sponsered by W.R. Hearst. any one live in Malden.ask the school what happened to the range and the rifle club.see what answer you get.
NRA endowment
USRA life
GOAL life
Hopedale P&R life

I let my membership come and go depending on when I have a few extra bucks ...
My GOAL membership is easy - I just make it a part of my yearly Topsfield Fair trip.

It's worth the fees just to put the sticker's on the car to annoy liberals.

I let my membership run out when I was 19. Just after my 22nd birthday they started calling one of the fax lines in my office. I never worked here or gave this number to anyone I didnt even know this fax number my boss called and asked if " I was in some kind of trouble"

Back
Top Bottom