KB1QBC AKA "Kykker" at it again.

Turbocharged

NES Member
I'm sure some of you are familiar with the man known on the CB band as "Kykker", or KB1QBC.
For a while it seemed like he had stopped the illegal BS and had simply resorted to talking to Hams that didn't want to talk to him.
Recently I have on several occasions heard him play a little trick when identifying. He makes it into the repeater just fine, but when he identifies, his signal seem to break up, and not make it into the repeater.
At first this didn't seem strange, we've all had problems making it into the repeater. After a while though, a few things jumped out at me. For one, he makes it into the repeater great normally, strong signal. I'm also completely sure that I am receiving the repeater fine, and every time his signal drops I get the courtesy beep from the repeater.
Obviously, he is purposely fluctuating his transmission.
Essentially, he is not identifying at all, ever. I've listen to him do this on the Paxton repeater, and on 2 simplex frequencies. Obviously on simplex it's nearly impossible to prove, thus why it took a while for me to realize what he was doing. It's extremely obvious on the repeater, though.

I know I'm b*t**ing, and if it was just a random guy doing it I wouldn't be posting (though I'd still be pissed). But this guy has been a nuisance to all things radio since the '90s. He's not a new guy unfamiliar with the rules, he's a full grown man who chooses that the rules don't apply to him and he can be a dick to whoever he wants.

Yeah, it's a little thing, but he does it because he has some strange need to spam the air. He should have been banned from owning any sort of transmitter long before this.

Anyone else having trouble with "Gene" aka "Kykker" aka "KB1QBC"? Feel free to share/vent.

Lol, I heard him on some of the NH machines drunk one night.... isn't he the guy that rants and raves about not modifying a radio? Lol. I think I heard him and KB1OCF getting sauced on one of the NH machines one night... what it it, hudson or nashua, I forget.

I don't get too worked up about these guys, though, if they interfere you just crush them. Doesn't take much. "Kykker" is nothing compared to the gang of guys that used to pretty much own the Mt. Disappointment repeater in LA... [rofl]. CA repeaters are a riot, due to their wide coverage areas.

-Mike

Lol, I heard him on some of the NH machines drunk one night.... isn't he the guy that rants and raves about not modifying a radio? Lol. I think I heard him and KB1OCF getting sauced on one of the NH machines one night... what it it, hudson or nashua, I forget.

I don't get too worked up about these guys, though, if they interfere you just crush them. Doesn't take much. "Kykker" is nothing compared to the gang of guys that used to pretty much own the Mt. Disappointment repeater in LA... [rofl]. CA repeaters are a riot, due to their wide coverage areas.

-Mike

What do you mean by "just crush them"?
I know KB1OCF has a bit of a reputation for being an annoyance, but so far I haven't seen him do anything annoying. Just seems like another old guy on the radio. He seems a little slow, but I've heard older/slower guys on the air.

KB1QBC, on the other hand, has a loooong history of being a nuisance. Harassing FRS users, transmitting interference on just about every band, unlicensed use of GMRS, breaking output power regulations, vulgar language, using ham radio for commercial business, so on and so forth.

I honestly don't get why the FCC keeps letting him off the hook.

Like you said this kicker has been a pain in the ass since the 90's maybe even before that. I can remember when the FCC came down on him several years back. So this bum is well known. I can name off several other jobless, good for nothings that have nothing better to do than monitor the air waves for some one to annoy. If these guys put that much effort into work they'd be millionaires. I know it's tough but just try to ignore them and don't feed the trolls.

Just ingnore Mr.Fricke...another prime example of a government funded agency gone astray.....nail the guy with a fine....then a few years later while the whole time still causing hate and discontent gets a Ham ticket.Go figure.

I know KB1OCF has a bit of a reputation for being an annoyance, but so far I haven't seen him do anything annoying. Just seems like another old guy on the radio. He seems a little slow, but I've heard older/slower guys on the air.

I've seen comments about Pete, but I've talked with him a fair bit and he seems like a decent enough guy. I actually kind of like chatting with him. He's eluded to having made some big mistakes in the past that I suspect we alcohol based from his comments. He's on Westford - home of the phantom kerchunker - quite often.

I've seen comments about Pete, but I've talked with him a fair bit and he seems like a decent enough guy. I actually kind of like chatting with him. He's eluded to having made some big mistakes in the past that I suspect we alcohol based from his comments. He's on Westford - home of the phantom kerchunker - quite often.

I know Pete personally. I've been to several ham events with him and he's a friend. I find him to be misrepresented by people with little understanding. If you get to know him with out judging him in the first three seconds you meet him you'll figure out he's a decent guy.

Yeah, Pete's alright as far as I'm concerned. I'll answer him when he throws his call out.
Though I'm aware that he does talk to Kykker sometimes, but you can't make other people change, he's allowed to talk to whoever he wants.

Yeah, Pete's alright as far as I'm concerned. I'll answer him when he throws his call out.
Though I'm aware that he does talk to Kykker sometimes, but you can't make other people change, he's allowed to talk to whoever he wants.
Ditto about Pete. Kykker, on the other hand, has issues. I suspect that sometimes he gets deliberately stepped on when he transmits to jam him. Jack. W1FKG.

What do you mean by "just crush them"?

If someone is trying to intentionally interfere with you, crank the yagi around and turn on the amp. [grin] Barring that, the best thing to do is ignore them. Another way to stop griefers is to use an unknown channel of communication. EG, even if they are jamming you, pick up the phone, call them on the phone, and use both mediums at once. The griefer will often leave, thinking whatever he is doing is not working. Never, ever complain about it over the air... only validates their existence, and it literally feeds the trolls. Problem is the "numskull" type operators don't get this, and they say something, and thanks to them, the pest will hang around on the frequency that much longer.

I know KB1OCF has a bit of a reputation for being an annoyance, but so far I haven't seen him do anything annoying.

I don't know if they fixed it, but he used to overdeviate pretty heavily into the 97 paxton machine, in turn causing it to "bleed" a little over/into the Westford 955 machine's output.

It's also fun listening to net controller nazis yell/whine at him when he screws up someone's traffic net.

I've also heard some other people complaining about the guy, although they never mentioned him by call, it was pretty apparent to me who they were talking about. My guess is he probably had another late night drunken tirade on someones machine. There's also the CB drama stuff he brings over from 11 meters. (IIRC he pisses off a bunch of people on Ch 12? or whatever that channel is CB users in Lowell are on. )

I don't think he's really a bad guy, more comical than problematic. I've talked to him a few times on and off over the years.

KB1QBC, on the other hand, has a loooong history of being a nuisance. Harassing FRS users, transmitting interference on just about every band, unlicensed use of GMRS, breaking output power regulations, vulgar language, using ham radio for commercial business, so on and so forth.

I honestly don't get why the FCC keeps letting him off the hook.

Probably because they're impotent. Unless he messes with emergency comms, he'll be largely ignored. A NAL is meaningless to him, because he's basically a welfare radio type. The last time they fined him the judge or whoever it was reduced the fine to some meaningless amount of money on a payment plan, so essentially whateverwelfare or disability he is getting can pay for it... yeah, that's real effective. [thinking]

He also has a fairly long history of being a douchebag on the CB, as well. KB1QBC is classic "Welfare Radio" at it's finest.

-Mike

Last edited:
I was yapping on the Fall Rive 150 last night and there was a guy that would make random comments and after each one, would burp very loud. I don't know if this is the guy you're talking about...as he never threw a call. But every few minutes, comment (BBBBUUUURRRRRPPPP).

I was yapping on the Fall Rive 150 last night and there was a guy that would make random comments and after each one, would burp very loud. I don't know if this is the guy you're talking about...as he never threw a call. But every few minutes, comment (BBBBUUUURRRRRPPPP).

Most likely Kykker. Can't say for sure, but it fits his style. Random comments and failing to identify are very common with him.

I know Pete personally. I've been to several ham events with him and he's a friend. I find him to be misrepresented by people with little understanding. If you get to know him with out judging him in the first three seconds you meet him you'll figure out he's a decent guy.

Good, that's my impression of him. Like I said, he seems like a nice enough guy that's pretty humble.

I don't know if they fixed it, but he used to overdeviate pretty heavily into the 97 paxton machine, in turn causing it to "bleed" a little over/into the Westford 955 machine's output.

That's ironic, because one of the main guys on paxton must be running 100's of watts mobile and spills over into Westford badly even when he's down near Rt2. It's a real PITA on Westford...

I heard some unlicensed operations tonight on the Danvers machine. First, some strange sounds and a few kerchunks. Then some unintelligable words. Finally a little boy's voice. After a minute or two an adult who's had his license 5 whole days started talking to the 6yo boy. It was really cute...I mean really cute. The guy handled the kid really well. The repeater had been quiet for a while so this was no traffic issue. This went on for several minutes until some old crust came on with "You know it's illegal to communicate with unlicensed stations. You're actually putting your own license at risk." The newly minted ham handled it with class: appologized and asked for clarification on the rules and ended the QSO with the prick on a respectful note. It seems to me that this kind of illegal station operation isn't why the rule exists. I'm not sure I would have handled the old crust as gracefully.

Last edited:
I just joined and I found this Ham Radio Forum. I have not heard KYKKER for a long time on the repeaters.And I have also spoken to Pete before he has good days and not so goods days on the repeaters. But I am still hearing interference on some of the area repeaters and mostly on the Westford 955 machine. Its not as bad as it was last year, but its still there at times. It makes it hard to have a QSO at times. I hope they can catch this person or person causing the interference.

Don't expect any help from the FCC, cripes they watch FM pirates operate openly with the help of the print media and City of Boston. They did issue a NOV to one of the free state guys the other day in Keene, good luck to the FCC trying to deal with them!
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-303516A1.html

When "touch 106.1" was partnering with the MBTA for the Fill A Bus campaign I raised holy hell, but the T said no licensed radio station would help them. One call to Peter Smyth at Greater Media got them 92.9 as the media sponsor ( Thanks Peter!)

This is the only FCC action I have seen in years about CB radio, I never see anything about the other services
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-302032A1.html

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/

102 E Hollis St 3A

Nashua, NH 03060

Figures.... he lives in an apartment in a dumpy part of Nashua.

wow is this guy as bad as this sounds?

I've had people warn me that I should be prepared if he ever shows up on my repeater. Wow, I never knew it could be this bad.

This sounds worse than any CB I've ever heard!

I couldn't listen past 50 seconds, I barely heard one recognizable word!

Time for a posse if this crap is showing up on the ham bands at all. I'd dust off my DF gear, but if everone knows his callsign and address, I guess it wont be needed.

Last edited:
Ever listen to 3.910?

Lol, that's old hat.... I miss the days of 3.950, 14.313, etc. Although vic's splattery AL80B on 3.950 got a little old after awhile. (Ameritron had this dumber than hell automatic bias circuit in those amps, that caused leading edge splatter.... blech. )

You can't really get any better than the Mt. Disappointment repeater in LA though, during the 90s. That machine made typical CB radio look civil. [rofl]

The QRMers around here are rank amateurs in comparison. You just stop paying attention to them and they go away. (People like Kykker are ego jammers, they want to get a rise out of someone... when they don't do that, they shrivel up and go away. ) On that repeater, however, QRMing was more or less normal operation. If you wanted to say something, you had to stomp on somebody to say it. [laugh]

-Mike

Lol, that's old hat.... I miss the days of 3.950, 14.313, etc. Although vic's splattery AL80B on 3.950 got a little old after awhile. (Ameritron had this dumber than hell automatic bias circuit in those amps, that caused leading edge splatter.... blech. )

You can't really get any better than the Mt. Disappointment repeater in LA though, during the 90s. That machine made typical CB radio look civil. [rofl]

The QRMers around here are rank amateurs in comparison. You just stop paying attention to them and they go away. (People like Kykker are ego jammers, they want to get a rise out of someone... when they don't do that, they shrivel up and go away. ) On that repeater, however, QRMing was more or less normal operation. If you wanted to say something, you had to stomp on somebody to say it. [laugh]

-Mike

14.313, boy does that bring back memories, I mis Herbie, [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom