Kayak fishing

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a couple of kayaks for me and my dad to fish from.(parked the old john boat) So far so good, but, was wondering what modifications/ upgrades you guys recommended??

I'm just getting into kayak fishing myself. Good times.

I haven't outfitted my kayak yet but I'm planning on the paddle clip, rod holder, anchor trolley, and maybe some under seat rod/real storage.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Yeah we got paddle holds that day, and I'm looking for an anchor system.... Any recommendations?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a couple of kayaks for me and my dad to fish from.(parked the old john boat) So far so good, but, was wondering what modifications/ upgrades you guys recommended??
Wilderness Systems "Pungo" is a good choice. The 9-foot version is very easy to handle and can float in about two inches of water. Great for those weedbeds where the big trout like to ambush their prey!. Spend a few bucks on a milk crate, a few bungee cords and a 4-foot-length of PVC pipe and some cable ties. Cut the 4-foot PVC into 1-foot sections and secure a section to each corner of the milk crate with the cable ties. These are your rod holders. Secure the milk crate to the back of the kayak (right behind the seat) with the bungee cords. The milk crate will hold a small tackle box, thermos or water bottle and your lunch. You now have a nicely set up fishing kayak without destroying your budget. Good luck and stay safe on the water!

Recently got into kayak fishing myself.

Here's my setup:

The pictures shows the Scotty rod holder up front. It swivels and angles. I use it for trolling or to hold the rod I'm using while paddling. Lashed the milk crate to the back and used PVC pipe for extra rod holders. Used a Gatorade bottle and filled it with pea-stone for an anchor. Re-used some 550 paracord and made an anchor trolley. I used paracord and carabiners to leash everything incase of a tipover.

I went hard core at first... Whole 9 yards fish finders anchor trolly milk create filled with crap ect ect.. Now its me a anchor a few plugs.. the rods/paddle I tie down to cat eyes with old cell phone charger cables.. kayak has two rod holders

A friend of mine who's a little crazy asked me the other day if I'd like to take our kayaks out into Nantucket sound, about 2 miles, and fish the rips. I told him I'd rather stick a fork in my face. He says "No it's cool man, You just get kinda close to the guys in the big charter boats so if anything happens they can help you". Yeah, have fun with that. I've been doing just fine slaying keepers from the shore the past two weeks.

Yeah I agree with you.... I'm not heading out on the ocean, but the local ponds are fine with me

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Been on a search for a good dedicated fishing kayak for about a week now. Anyone know of a good place to pick one up, under $800 besides Dicks Sporting?

I saw one in the Plymouth WallyWorld last time I was there (last week). They had a green one, sit-in style, made specifically for fishing. I don't recall seeing the price tag on it, but it was a little gouged up like it had been slightly damaged during shipping so I'm sure they've marked it down. I'll take a guess at about $500 on it?

I have a Fish and Drive, need to find another seat... but yah other than that a good tackle bag is all you need. A tackle box is too awkward on a yak in my opinion... and a bag will be more compartmentalized and less apt to put all your shit on the floor of the lake if it goes for a dive.

I have a WS Tarpon 120 and I only use in the ocean. It's a great yak and have a blast on it. I don't use an anchor because of current and waves. Plus I only go out at night in summer and use my gps. But once fall run starts it doesn't matter.

Love seeing all the people from shore casting there arms off and u can go anywhere u want. Lots of good sites for kayak forums on the web just google it and u will find what u are looking for.

Reviving a slightly old thread. I very recently got into kayaking and kayak fishing. When I'm out with the wife it's just for exercise. When it's me and sometimes my son it's always fishing. I've been hitting the Nashua river with quite a bit of success. I've only had the kayaks about a week and have been out four times. We bought two Old Town Trip10 Angler DLX from Dick'sSporting Goods. $500 and it's got two flush mount rod holders in the rear and an anchor and trolley system.

980904_568803423167603_445330808_o_zps289e45b7.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom