• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

k98 german

magoo

NES Member
Just pick up a German k98. It has no import marks on it. The bolt #'s don't match the rest of the gun. But all other#'s match. The finish is original. The stock is not sanded still has all stamps on it. Someone put varnish on stock. No cleaning rod. Bore is nice . the eagles are no peen over. It's a BYF 1942 70XX under # on rec. is a gg It my be a GI returned gun. Because the bolt is matching to Its self. Did they take bolt out when troops came back from over seas. And just give you one back that didn't match.

No import marks and a bolt MM would be indicative of a bringback. "gg" would be a late 1942 production of Mauser-Obendorf. When the rifles were surrendered, the Americans separated the rifles from their bolts to prevent the Germans from rearming themselves. When you picked up a "trophy", you got a rifle from one pile and a bolt from another. You were further separated from your bolt on the boat home to prevent "accidents." You picked up another bolt from your sergant on the way down the gangplank.

A good date; a true bolt MM would fetch $600 to $800 nowadays; to $1300 at the Marlboro gun show. Bore condition a major factor.
An original rod will cost you $65. This date should also have a sight hood. I believe a '42 Obendorf would have 655 ot 135 proofs. Check the bolt as well; it may not match the serial, but it could be Obendorf as well.

MS

the bolt has the same as mark on rec. just above the Byf looks to be a m. Its marked on m the bend of bolt handle. It has a two very nice 135 proof on stock one is by bolt take down other is by back of trigger group. but this one by trigger group look to be a waA 13. They are nice and clear. It has a groove for sight hood. The mag plate is remarked. Its missing a small lock screw on trigger group. the bore is nice looking. Its not mint but still shines.I got the gun in a trade. The person got it years ago never shoot it. Look like It been put away for a long time and never shot.

A little confused; some pics would help me. If you have WaA135 on the bolt root, then it's Obendorf as well.

If you pop off the butt plate you may be able to date the stock. The Germans used a different date system; on my byf43, no suffix (January) reads ; "Ha 2 51 42" (Inspector/manufacturer, day 2, week 51, or 12/21/1942.
MS

No import marks and a bolt MM would be indicative of a bringback.

Not necessarily. Rifles imported to the US prior to a certain date (which I can't remember right now, possibly early 80s) weren't required to have import stamps. For example... Federal Ordnance imported many rifles years ago and re-stamped Mauser types with their own crest on the receiver.

I will have take a real good look at the stamp by the trigger group the 5 may be to light to see. I will have to pull but plate to check date no way to take pictures. I know what Ray is saying had a model 94 Swed. That had rec. remarked. Sks Ray may be mad at me traded a sks for it.

Not necessarily. Rifles imported to the US prior to a certain date (which I can't remember right now, possibly early 80s) weren't required to have import stamps. For example... Federal Ordnance imported many rifles years ago and re-stamped Mauser types with their own crest on the receiver.

I said "indicative;" not proof. I think the pre-stamp import date was 1968.

MS

I pulled the butt plate It was painted with a reddish paint. The ink stamped eagle with a # by it cannot read # It's smeared were the # is I never seen one with paint on the inside of a butt plate. The stock has the gun # in the channel of stock It same # of gun ex bolt. Gun looks like it was stand up some were for a long time. The screws rust on them. Gun looks like it was in someones closet for along time. The jap rifle I got from a friend that his granddad had looks the same way. I will ask my friend what gun shop and how long he had it.

Back
Top Bottom