Just tried my new Crimson Trace grips on S&W 642!

Prepper

NES Member
I recently bought a S&W 642 for carry. Two weeks ago I tried it for the first time, and my accuracy was less than impressive. At about 15-20 feet, I was all over the full-sized silhouette. Hopefully enough to take out the bad guy, but still a rather high risk of not being successful in an actual incident.

Today I tried the Crimson Trace laser grips (model LG-405), and I am totally impressed! These things are amazing. Every shot at 30 feet was within a 3 inch wide group, and it wasn't really difficult to accomplish this either. I first did some dry firing at home with it to get better at keeping the dot steady where I wanted it each time I pulled the trigger. I'm totally sold on these. If you have a snub-nose revolver, you want these! I only did 20 rounds with the 642 today; even with the greatly increased accuracy, I still have the problem of my hands starting to hurt pretty quickly from the large recoil of this cute little gun. But I'm OK with that... if I ever have to shoot more than 20 rounds at a bad guy, then I'm probably in big trouble anyway.

Only problem is, the grouping I got with this is actually much better than what I did with my Ruger P89 today, and perhaps a little better than with my new Ruger MKIII that I just tried for the first time today. I would normally expect to be much more accurate with a MKIII than I would with a snub-nose .38, so now I gotta figure out how to get more accurate with the others. (Laser grips for all of them??)

(Oops I spelled the title wrong! Ack! Can't change it.)

Last edited:
You should always shoot the smaller calibers first and work your way up. Likewise with guns that are more prone to recoil.

e.g. If one shoots 50rds of +P in a 642 first and then shoots a .22, their experience with the .22 is not going to be very impressive!

I rarely use my Crimson Trace grips for actual shooting (though I do keep a set on my bedside gun). What I find them to be really great for is training, particularly dry fire. I've had students who were all over the paper spend five minutes dry firing with the CT grips and immediately start shooting consistent half dollar size groups. They can't tell you specifically what they're doing differently, but it all boils down to the fact that they've got a proper sight picture and are pressing the trigger smoothly.

Ken

e.g. If one shoots 50rds of +P in a 642 first and then shoots a .22, their experience with the .22 is not going to be very impressive!

That would explain why my accuracy with the .22 actually got WORSE the longer I was there.

I rarely use my Crimson Trace grips for actual shooting (though I do keep a set on my bedside gun). What I find them to be really great for is training, particularly dry fire.

While dry firing, I did immediately realize that I was somehow jerking the gun to the right a few inches just when the hammer falls. I'm not entirely sure why that was happening, but it improved as I kept dry firing. Without the laser, I had no idea this was happening; all I could tell was that I was inaccurate but without much clue as to why since the shots were all over the place and not just to the right of where I was aiming.

Prepper,

I am right handed and when shooting my 442 my groups tend to gravitate to the right. I think it may be an issue with its rather stiff trigger. When shooting pistols, I heve have right drift.

I'm also a recent 642 owner and all my shots are to the right also....

/Mike

Prepper,

I am right handed and when shooting my 442 my groups tend to gravitate to the right. I think it may be an issue with its rather stiff trigger. When shooting pistols, I heve have right drift.

Back
Top Bottom