• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just ordered a Chronograph....

I am a big Competition Electronics fan. My original chrono lasted me for over 20 years with no problems and is still going strong with a friend I sold it to. I upgraded to the newer model for reduced size and added features, great deal for under $100 at Midway.

CE customer service is excellent. After seven or eight years of use, my CE timer died. They repaired it for $17, including shipping. This was a big improvement over PACT who wouldn't even LOOK at one of their timers which failed under similar conditions unless I agreed to pay an hourly labor charge.

A ProChrono with bluetooth adapter is nearly $200 with shipping. The Caldwell is $115 and comes with bluetooth and a disposable tripod. How is the ProChrono nearly twice the machine?

I use the F1 Chrony master with remote cable, it works well and is metal and folds up to a small space. The plus is that it uses standard telephone cable jacks so I have over 300 feet of cable and we use it to compare actual velocity vs calculated.

I use the F1 Chrony master with remote cable, it works well and is metal and folds up to a small space. The plus is that it uses standard telephone cable jacks so I have over 300 feet of cable and we use it to compare actual velocity vs calculated.

I have this. It took one tumble off the table and now won't work. So much for the metal: The guts are cheap cheap plastic.

Last edited:
Well I just ordered the Caldwell so I will update next weekend when I have a chance to run some rounds across it. I can compare it to my broken Chrony...

According to my UPS account, my Bluetooth accessory just arrived at my front door...Bummer that I'm not there to play with it. Total cost, ProChrono and Bluetooth, $144, not $200 like above post. That was shipped, BTW, through Amazon.

I already own a heavy duty tripod that I bought years ago when I was doing medium/large format photography.

As far as customer service goes, yesterday I emailed Competition Electronics about a question I had about the Bluetooth...within 5 minutes I had an email back with a very detailed answer. You can't beat that.

Last edited:
I finally got to try out my new ProChrono with the Bluetooth attachment this past Monday after work. I was a little skittish because I have a scope on my AR15 that is about 3 inches over the bore so I knew that the bullet should be at most three inches below POA at fifteen yards. To find out where the bullet would pass through and not wanting to destroy my new chrono with the first shot, I posted a target at the fifteen yard line, drew a bead through the scope on the center of the target and fired a shot. Sure enough, the bullet hole was just about three inches lower than the POA.

Knowing now where the bullet would pass through the chrono, I set it up at 15 yards, turned on the chrono and the Bluetooth and shot through it…immediately a FPS reading came up on the smartphone…hey, it works!

I ended up putting twenty rounds through the chrono and learned several things…I need to tighten up on my reloading regimen…the FPS spread over 20 shots was 277. Not real good. In defense of myself though, I know that these rounds have been around for God knows how long and I never really loaded for accuracy in the FPS department because until now, I had no way of measuring the speed of the bullet. The other thing I learned is that a wide FPS spread doesn’t seem to affect accuracy, at least out to 100 yards (maximum length of the range), as the same random rounds I was using were punching the two inch dot at that distance.

I have 20 rounds that I am going to load up, already sorted, paying special attention to head stamp, length, weight, primers, etc and see if I can tighten that FPS spread up a bit (or a lot).

All in all, it worked very well and very easy to use.

Last edited:
I finally got to try out my new ProChrono with the Bluetooth attachment this past Monday after work. I was a little skittish because I have a scope on my AR15 that is about 3 inches over the bore so I knew that the bullet should be at most three inches below POA at fifteen yards. To find out where the bullet would pass through and not wanting to destroy my new chrono with the first shot, I posted a target at the fifteen yard line, drew a bead through the scope on the center of the target and fired a shot. Sure enough, the bullet hole was just about three inches lower than the POA.

Knowing now where the bullet would pass through the chrono, I set it up at 15 yards, turned on the chrono and the Bluetooth and shot through it…immediately a FPS reading came up on the smartphone…hey, it works!

I ended up putting twenty rounds through the chrono and learned several things…I need to tighten up on my reloading regimen…the FPS spread over 20 shots was 277. Not real good. In defense of myself though, I know that these rounds have been around for God knows how long and I never really loaded for accuracy in the FPS department because until now, I had no way of measuring the speed of the bullet. The other thing I learned is that a wide FPS spread doesn’t seem to affect accuracy, at least out to 100 yards (maximum length of the range), as the same random rounds I was using were punching the two inch dot at that distance.

I have 20 rounds that I am going to load up, already sorted, paying special attention to head stamp, length, weight, primers, etc and see if I can tighten that FPS spread up a bit (or a lot).

All in all, it worked very well and very easy to use.

Will be interesting to see what spread you get with better ammo. Were the lighting conditions good enough to accurately pick up the shots? Bad lighting and even being too high over the unit will give lousy results. Glad to see that you realiazed that impact at the unit would be low Even iron sights would be low and I've seen first hand what that first shot could do!

Ok so the Caldwell chrono doesn't have a Bluetooth connection (even though the app has it) so the connection to the phone is made with a cable. This works incredibly well. The tripod is garbage but I already had a cheap Amazon one that works well for this.

In fact, the app records gps, weather, load, and shot group data for each string. You can go in and edit each string and email or text the string. Very cool stuff.

I had three errors on a sunny day out of ~100 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0c9ce9ff4b0fa36d2915599c7143ed46.jpg

Will be interesting to see what spread you get with better ammo. Were the lighting conditions good enough to accurately pick up the shots? Bad lighting and even being too high over the unit will give lousy results. Glad to see that you realiazed that impact at the unit would be low Even iron sights would be low and I've seen first hand what that first shot could do!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to load up that ammo this weekend and see what it nets me. Lighting was very good that day and if I figured it correctly, the round was going through the spreaders at just about dead center. Knowing how these rounds were reloaded, I totally believe the results [grin].

Ok so the Caldwell chrono doesn't have a Bluetooth connection (even though the app has it) so the connection to the phone is made with a cable. This works incredibly well. The tripod is garbage but I already had a cheap Amazon one that works well for this.

In fact, the app records gps, weather, load, and shot group data for each string. You can go in and edit each string and email or text the string. Very cool stuff.

I had three errors on a sunny day out of ~100 rounds.

0c9ce9ff4b0fa36d2915599c7143ed46.jpg

BigBlue, were these factory rounds or reloads? None of my 20 shots through the chrono broke 3K FPS. I suspect that was due to reloading mine to low to mid powder weights (or maybe, due to the the fact I was shooting through a 16" barrel rather than a 20"). I was shooting 55gr so if I bring the powder weights up a bit, they should break 3K. Without previously having a chrono, I never knew what speeds were. My chrono app will do weather/BP/etc as long as I turn on my GPS on my phone...I rarely have it turned on and forgot to turn it on before I started shooting. I also forgot to tell it bullet weight, etc before I started shooting through the chrono so it couldn't come back with any real ballistics data. Hopefully I'll remember to do it when I shoot next time

Last edited:
That was ZQI M855 through my White Oak Upper:

845af17e5ee1b13681691e59abfcb946.jpg

The Federal M193 that I shot ran about 3,300 FPS +/- 50 fps. I can post that string if you would like to see it.

Last edited:
That was ZQI M855 through my White Oak Upper:

845af17e5ee1b13681691e59abfcb946.jpg

The Federal M193 that I shot ran about 3,300 FPS +/- 50 fps. I can post that string if you would like to see it.

That's a very nice looking AR. Essentially what I am loading right now is M193 (except for the muzzle velocity). If you don't mind posting the Federal ammo string, that would be great. If I get a chance this weekend, I may go grab a box of that Federal M193 at Shooter's or Riley's (if they have it) and see if my numbers come close to yours.

30132181b08831292a33dc839a013ee7.jpg

f5e9f1b578cb9ee769dd04fe92e23a89.jpg

That rifle will get the new Magpul PRS when it comes out in the fall but the fixed carbine stock works fine for now with a bag under it. Ben says it looks stupid but I like the minimalist look. The SWFA scope and White Oak upper are better than I had hoped for: No regrets. When I go .308 next year I will buy the SWFA 5-20x but for my current distances, 3-15x works well.

Last edited:
I like that program, the Pro Chrono Digital Link bluetooth app doesn't give a group size option, but I could put it in the notes section for each string. That's a great idea.

The app actually lets you take a photo and then calculates the group size from the photo. I didn't notice it until further reading this morning but I still have the targets so I plan to go in and add photos to the strings to test that function.

The app actually lets you take a photo and then calculates the group size from the photo. I didn't notice it until further reading this morning but I still have the targets so I plan to go in and add photos to the strings to test that function.

I'm jealous [sad2]

You said that your app has Bluetooth capability though you have it hardwired. I wonder if it would pair with the ProChrono and give the same data. Is that a free app you're using bigblue? (I'm not cheap, just frugal [wink])

Last edited:
I'm jealous [sad2]

You said that your app has Bluetooth capability though you have it hardwired. I wonder if it would pair with the ProChrono and give the same data. Is that a free app you're using bigblue? (I'm not cheap, just frugal [wink])

Free app: Caldwell Chronograph.

Free app: Caldwell Chronograph.

I just checked their website and the Caldwell chrono has no Bluetooth capability...not sure if their app can pair with a Bluetooth device (like the one on my ProChrono)...I'll have to give it a try tonight when I get home.

I just checked their website and the Caldwell chrono has no Bluetooth capability...not sure if their app can pair with a Bluetooth device (like the one on my ProChrono)...I'll have to give it a try tonight when I get home.

If I had to guess, I would say that Caldwell had a bluetooth accessory planned since it says the app can pair to "bluetooth accessories".

If I had to guess, I would say that Caldwell had a bluetooth accessory planned since it says the app can pair to "bluetooth accessories".

The new Caldwell G2 does have built-in Bluetooth, I just got mine a couple of days ago and hope to get it to the range this weekend and try it out.

The new Caldwell G2 does have built-in Bluetooth, I just got mine a couple of days ago and hope to get it to the range this weekend and try it out.

That does look very nice but at my present attrition rate for chronographs, I think $110 is appropriate for a semi disposable item...

Also, I have a tendency to aim high rather than low on the rods and that would not end well with the G2 setup.

Last edited:
I have my chrono out in my car but I work in a cellular black hole so it would take forever to download the app here. I guess I'll have to wait until I get home....[hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom