• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just ordered a Chronograph....

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
I've been wanting one for years but never had the extra $$$ to plunk down on one....I spent a few weeks looking at all the ones available under $150 and decided on the ProChrono (http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-digital/). It has very good reviews for the money

It doesn't come with the remote as some others do but it does have a Bluetooth add-on I can buy later if I find I need the remote capability.

It will be nice to chrono my reloads, the one part of reloading that I have never had the ability to do.

Chrono's are a neat tool. I use it mostly to evaluate pistol reloads in my contenders. Since its a 14in barreled pistol shooting a rifle round, its super important to use the right bullet at the right speed for it to perform as intended on game.

I have that same one and it works well....until I managed to graze the top of it with a 180 gr 357 mag bullet[thinking] Still works but there's something rattling around inside and it doesn't always turn off/on...

I have that same one and it works well....until I managed to graze the top of it with a 180 gr 357 mag bullet[thinking] Still works but there's something rattling around inside and it doesn't always turn off/on...

lol, Ive always heard of people shooting their chrono. I use wood dowels with witness tape marking about 12in over he screens. If I were to hit the rods, wood breaks allot easier and wont jar the unit as much, plus its easy and cheap to replace those. Fingers crossed I haven't needed to try that reasoning out yet.

lol, Ive always heard of people shooting their chrono. I use wood dowels with witness tape marking about 12in over he screens. If I were to hit the rods, wood breaks allot easier and wont jar the unit as much, plus its easy and cheap to replace those. Fingers crossed I haven't needed to try that reasoning out yet.

Wish I thought of that. Good idea.

Chrono's are a neat tool. I use it mostly to evaluate pistol reloads in my contenders. Since its a 14in barreled pistol shooting a rifle round, its super important to use the right bullet at the right speed for it to perform as intended on game.

I've never used one before. I've seen guys at the range with them testing reloads...I'm a little nervous because I've heard stories of people putting rounds through the front of their chronograph...that would suck the big wazoo.

I've never used one before. I've seen guys at the range with them testing reloads...I'm a little nervous because I've heard stories of people putting rounds through the front of their chronograph...that would suck.
It is a great tool. Make sure you either get a spare set of rods or keep 3/16" dowel stock cut to length in the box. I haven't put a round through the face of it (YET) but I have hit one of the rods.

Just gotta be careful and line everything up. if shooting from a bench, I'll set my rifle up in a shooting position on the bags as if were about to shoot, target sighted down on and everything, remove the bolt, or lock the action open, then I'll go out front and line up the chrono , go back and check it ect.

I have you beat. Hit it with two in the same session. I think blue bullets out of my open gun when I was trying to figure out the minimum PF to run the gun. Still works but has also acquired a mysterious rattle. I also hit an upright one day showing someone that you can shoot rapidly over the chrono and still record all the shots. Bent it back and works fine.

cbdf0a084c79decf8925a4b70ace3006.jpg

. . . ProChrono . . . does have a Bluetooth add-on I can buy later if I find I need the remote capability.

With the Bluetooth communication and the iPhone (or iPad) app, remote capability is secondary to increased functionality from the app. It's well worth the buck$ for the Bluetooth.

I have the old USB dongle that lets you connect with a 1/8" audio patch cord to a laptop. The software was good, but I upgraded to Bluetooth and I'll say the apps are better.

If anyone wants the dongle PM me and I'll let it go for $20.

I have the same one and I can see the display when it's set up so I don't need the bluetooth. And since it saves the shots I can always recover them later.
I've used mine for rifles, pistols, air rifles and my Bow and the only problems I've had have been with my AR-15. Not sure why, but it seem to miss most of the shots from it.

I spent a few weeks looking at all the ones available under $150 and decided on the ProChrono (http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-digital/). It has very good reviews for the money

It doesn't come with the remote as some others do but it does have a Bluetooth add-on I can buy later if I find I need the remote capability.

Damn, I wish I knew that you wanted one. I have that exact chrono brand new in the box that I would have sold you.
I bought that chrono along with this software package http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-digital-usb/

USB-Pack-600x600.png

Unfortunately the software will not load in anything newer then windows 7 and my laptop is windows 10

In my opinion the unit is worthless without the bluetooth adapter and the app on either android or iphone.

I used mine with bluetooth over the weekend and it worked flawless. All the data is stored on the phone and is easy to use. You can also export the data in csv format and suck it right into a spreadsheet if you want to.

I have you beat. Hit it with two in the same session. I think blue bullets out of my open gun when I was trying to figure out the minimum PF to run the gun. Still works but has also acquired a mysterious rattle. I also hit an upright one day showing someone that you can shoot rapidly over the chrono and still record all the shots. Bent it back and works fine.

cbdf0a084c79decf8925a4b70ace3006.jpg

Haha nice. Mine looks worse with all the duct tape I slapped on it[laugh]

In my opinion the unit is worthless without the bluetooth adapter and the app on either android or iphone.

I used mine with bluetooth over the weekend and it worked flawless. All the data is stored on the phone and is easy to use. You can also export the data in csv format and suck it right into a spreadsheet if you want to.

Nice....I'll order the bluetooth thingy tomorow.

Yeah....I knew this would happen[emoji6] . I may be interested in the software if you would sell that by itself.

The software is free for download and worked fine on Windows 8.1. Never tried on 10. Just had to play around with config of the com port -> USB thingy. There are also instructions on building your own Bluetooth / USB dongle, probably on BENOS.

The software is free for download and worked fine on Windows 8.1. Never tried on 10. Just had to play around with config of the com port -> USB thingy. There are also instructions on building your own Bluetooth / USB dongle, probably on BENOS.
Awesome...thanks for the info....I'll look into it.

Yeah....I knew this would happen[emoji6] . I may be interested in the software if you would sell that by itself.

I paid $50 + shipping. I would like to get $35 FTF or $40 if I have to ship it.

According to the CE website it does indeed work with windows 8. I guess that 10 is the only one that it will not work with.

The bluetooth device will also audibly tell you the velocity of the round each time you fire. it also allows you to graph the shots in the string and gives you SD and PF, records the humidity and temperature of the string as well. if you shoot at the indoor range, you may also need the led light strips that go on top of the posts, when shooting indoors it doesnt work as well without it. I use the LED strips mostly for archery.

My Chrony fell over and won't work no mo so I've been looking at new Chronos. The Caldwell comes with the iPhone app and uses bluetooth by default. Any thoughts comparing the ProChrono to the Caldwell?

i didn't read all posts, but it looks like most bases were covered. one thing is you'll be the most popular guy on the range when people see you set it up. they'll come out of the woodwork to see what you got and ask if you'll do their loads. you'll have some peace when the novelty wears off and folks get use to it. [wink]

My Chrony fell over and won't work no mo so I've been looking at new Chronos. The Caldwell comes with the iPhone app and uses bluetooth by default. Any thoughts comparing the ProChrono to the Caldwell?

If my ProChrono died I'd go for a Caldwell. Better values, and though I've heard it may not perform as well in some lighting conditions, I'd make the trade off. Plus, you support S&W by buying Caldwell - nothing wrong with that.

I am a big Competition Electronics fan. My original chrono lasted me for over 20 years with no problems and is still going strong with a friend I sold it to. I upgraded to the newer model for reduced size and added features, great deal for under $100 at Midway.

CE customer service is excellent. After seven or eight years of use, my CE timer died. They repaired it for $17, including shipping. This was a big improvement over PACT who wouldn't even LOOK at one of their timers which failed under similar conditions unless I agreed to pay an hourly labor charge.

Back
Top Bottom