just got my C&R in the mail!

45collector

NES Member
I applied for the FFL03 curio & relic license at the end of December.
I finally got it in the mail yesterday.
I had heard it was taking up to 3 months for some folks to get theirs.
just this past Thursday I called the ATF to let them know that I was moving and had not received the C&R license in the mail yet. they only asked me to fax them a cover sheet showing my old, and new addresses. And 4 days later it's in the mail! I wonder if I sped up the process a little by calling and speaking to them?
hhhmmmmmm. anyhow. I'm be looking forward to being dead broke from spending every nickle on MilSurp guns.[smile]

Don't forget the discounts at places like midwayusa.com. I just faxed them my C&R this morning and within a few hours I was all set up and browsing things at their 'dealer' prices. Wow [shocked]

Did you fax them a signed copy or unsigned copy???

Thanks,
-Cuz.

Awesome and enjoy.
Hope you like Ramen Noodles :)

I basically lived on Ramen in college.
And yes I actually do like it![grin]

I'll be faxing copies to Midway, Brownells and *****today.
My safe is already close to full and I really don't want to buy another one. Luckily I mainly collect pistols. At least they take up less room!

P.S. Anyone know what you're supposed to do if a firearm is to be delivered to your home, but you're not there and must pick it up at the post office? It's illegal to possess any weapon in a Gov't building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your wallet is doomed.

I'm be looking forward to being dead broke from spending every nickle on MilSurp guns.[smile]
Oh. You already knew that. Well, conga-rats anyway!

congarats.gif

P.S. Anyone know what you're supposed to do if a firearm is to be delivered to your home, but you're not there and must pick it up at the post office? It's illegal to possess any weapon in a Gov't building.

Well, should be a non-issue if you're collecting pistols, since you're not allowed to have handguns delivered to you in the mail anyway. You have to use UPS/Fedex/etc. Only dealers and manufacturers can ship handguns between each other via USPS. Though I have had a dealer who didn't realize this ship me an old pistol via USPS. But it's his violation, not mine, so I just kept my mouth shut and collected my package.

As for long guns, the law has an exception for "the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes." I'd think that receiving your lawfully mailed package would be included in "other lawful purposes". (Ob. IANAL)

Last edited:
It's easy when they use UPS. My driver doesn't have me sign anything EVER. In fact, the last 2 packages I got were a MN, and a tin of ammo. I came home from work, and they were sitting on my deck!

hmmm. I was under the impression that if you had a C&R license, you could have any gun (including handguns) that was C&R eligable, shipped to your door. Am I wrong?

hmmm. I was under the impression that if you had a C&R license, you could have any gun (including handguns) that was C&R eligable, shipped to your door. Am I wrong?

No, you're absolutely correct. You just can't have handguns shipped via USPS due to postal regulations, but you can have them shipped UPS or other common carrier just fine. You'll also find, though, if you're in MA, that a lot of places won't ship C&R guns to you even though it's completely legal. MA purposely scares and threatens dealers into not doing it.

I had heard it was taking up to 3 months for some folks to get theirs.
just this past Thursday I called the ATF to let them know that I was moving and had not received the C&R license in the mail yet. they only asked me to fax them a cover sheet showing my old, and new addresses. And 4 days later it's in the mail! I wonder if I sped up the process a little by calling and speaking to them?
hhhmmmmmm. anyhow. I'm be looking forward to being dead broke from spending every nickle on MilSurp guns.[smile]
So the next time we meet at a gun show it will be malnourished version of you.[smile][wink]

Weekly Food budget $100
Milsurp deal $100
Going hungry because you could not pass on the deal. Priceless.

No, you're absolutely correct. You just can't have handguns shipped via USPS due to postal regulations, but you can have them shipped UPS or other common carrier just fine. You'll also find, though, if you're in MA, that a lot of places won't ship C&R guns to you even though it's completely legal. MA purposely scares and threatens dealers into not doing it.
Seriously. I'd be scared too. so many darn rules in this state!

So the next time we meet at a gun show it will be malnourished version of you.[smile][wink]

Weekly Food budget $100
Milsurp deal $100
Going hungry because you could not pass on the deal. Priceless.

So wait, Ramen noddles and Bush's baked beans are not a sufficient supply of nourishment? [shocked][smile]

Question for those of you who buy C&R firearms online:

On Gunbroker.com, I've seen many sellers who will not ship any C&R firearms to MA, CA, NY, NJ, etc...
Now assuming that it's not a high capacity, why would they refuse to ship it to me? I guess this goes back to people just being scared of having anything to do with firearms and Massachusetts.
I'm looking for a nice East German Makarov, just for reference.

Hi
They refuse because they are scared as you said. There are many companies who deal in C & R who will ship here. Google C & R Guns and that will bring up pages of them. Most will require you have a copy of your C & R on file with them first. But after that, it's not problem. Also join makarov.com

Last edited:
Now assuming that it's not a high capacity, why would they refuse to ship it to me?

Because they're required to comply with all state laws, and MA state laws are so confusing that a lot of people just throw up their hands and refuse to bother.

If you think MA is bad, try CA. You can't receive any C&R handguns into California under a C&R license, though you can personally hand import them, and you can't purchase any guns that are less than 50 years old with your C&R license, even if they're on the ATF C&R list.

Is it possible to have a C&R with a different address than your residence? Obviously you can for an 01 FFL, but can the same be done for an 03?

Yes, you'd have to apply for a separate C&R license for each location, and then you'd have to fill out receipt and disposition entries in both bound books when moving C&R guns between the two locations. But there is an exception where you can have a separate 'warehouse' used solely for storage of firearms or ammunition, as long you keep the records at your licensed location.

What is it you're trying to do?

Buy C&R firearms from dealers/distributors that won't ship to MA. I'm in no rush to do this as between the CMP and non C&R purchases, money will be my limiting factor for quite a while. However, it would be nice to be able to do so.

Ah, I got you. You want to get C&R licenses in two different states... that might work. Don't know if the ATF would grant you that or not. Interesting question.

Hi
They refuse because they are scared as you said. There are many companies who deal in C & R who will ship here. Google C & R Guns and that will bring up pages of them. Most will require you have a copy of your C & R on file with them first. But after that, it's not problem. Also join makarov.com

I've started accounts with a few big name distributors, but they don't always have what I'm looking for. I have been on Makarov.com and that's a very cool sight. I will probably join that one if/when I buy a Makarov.
Collecting Milsurp guns is something I've only been into for a couple years. for a long time I was mostly all about modern semi-autos (besides the 1911 of course, which is my first love). So I've started to collect all kinds of Czech, Russian, German etc.. and I'm one of those guys who has an obsession with mechanical parts and I feel like I won't be happy until I know how every semi-auto handgun ever made in history works inside and out. maybe I'll reach that goal before I die![smile]

and I'm one of those guys who has an obsession with mechanical parts and I feel like I won't be happy until I know how every semi-auto handgun ever made in history works inside and out

+1. First thing I do when I get a new gun is take it all apart and see how it ticks. I love to see all the different ways people have engineered solutions to basically the same problem; how do I get these bullets out of this tube quickly, accurately, and reliably.

Back
Top Bottom