Just bought my SKS + pix

I had a chance to talk with M4M last night and thanks to him, I'm the proud new owner of a Norinco SKS with original fiberglass jungle stock. It's stamped all over with a 6 digit number first 3 numbers are 047, so from what I gather thats a really low #. Here are some pictures please let me know what you think.
sks022.jpg

sks009.jpg

sks024.jpg

sks032.jpg

sks014.jpg

Looks nice.

I cant believe you got M4M to part with a SKS [shocked] or anything milsurp for that matter[smile]. I didnt realize some had plastic stocks.

I found this one at pheasant ridge in Seakonk, I was unsure about and I talked to M4M. He told me what it was and I bought it but I didn't get it from M4M. Yeah M4M wouldn't part with any of his rifles I tried that route lol. The only thing this one is missing is the cleaning kit in the butt plate, but hey I can't complain for what I payed for it.

I found this one at pheasant ridge in Seakonk, I was unsure about and I talked to M4M. He told me what it was and I bought it but I didn't get it from M4M. Yeah M4M wouldn't part with any of his rifles I tried that route lol. The only thing this one is missing is the cleaning kit in the butt plate, but hey I can't complain for what I payed for it.

The SKS I got off someone was missing the cleaning kit as well. You can find them for like $5 on a lot of sites.

Looks good and at the price you got it for it looks worth it to me. Its got the Russian rear site too plus an early Chinese sling.

Depending on how much you shot, you might not need to clean it at all. Many of mine will go to the range at least 4 times before I clean them. The rifle's design is traditional Russian military and will function flawlessly even when filthy inside and out.
I do know a few people that clean theirs after every trip and there are a handful of choice SKS rifles I own that get cleaned after firing them.

As far as a standard cleaning, just take the receiver cover off, remove the recoil spring assembly, pull the bolt assembly and carrier back and remove. That allows you to use a standard cleaning rod from the receiver end.

Depending on how dirty the bore is, I usually run a wet patch soaked with Break Free CLP through the bore a few times, let it work for a minute or two, then run a .30 cal brush a few times and then a few more patches soaked with Break Free to clean up. Then I use a few dry ones to get any oil residue out of the bore.
Its a good idea to wipe the bolt face to get any build up off and out of the extractor. Then an overall wipe down of metal surfaces with a rag lightly sprayed with Break Free. This is recomended especially for any areas that have corrosion like your magazine or any areas that have worn bluing.

You can clean the gas tube if you want but unless you're shooting corrosive military ammo you don't have to for a long time. There is a tool for scraping carbon out of the gas port in the barrel but a bent Q tip with most of the cotton removed will often get in there just as well.

If you haven't shot many rounds through it, the easiest way to keep an SKS clean is to give the bore a light spray of Break Free from the receiver and run a .30 cal Bore Snake through it. These work great for clean bores that have seen a few rounds here and there.

Last edited:
I agree with M4M and since he is the SKS expert take his opinion as a lot and mine as nothing [smile].

On my SKS I clean the gas tube after every trip to the range otherwise my norinco will jam up on me [frown] and it wont fire on my next trip to the range.
I think it might be because the previous owner NEVER cleaned the gas tube fact is my gas piston is covered in rust and corrosion (This might be typical not sure). As for everything else along the lines of cleaning the bore I do the same as M4M.

Now I got you I didnt think M4M would sell off a SKS.

As for the cleaning kit mine also did not come with one but like was already mentioned you can get one for 5.00 [grin].

Nice find!!!!

I purchased one of these norinco red jungle stock sks's just before the supply ran out, i think it was around $125 NIB back then. (many years ago) It also came with all the goodies too it was just before they seperated all the accessories and offered them seperate.

I still don't own an sks.....

Your kidding me right? There a step up from our very first semi auto 22's and as much fun to shoot. A co-worker had his FFL01 and told me i had to have one of these chinese guns back when they were first imported. I sure glad he passed on his wisdom, he was right.

Trust me once you shoot one you'll get the bug to get one.

I been seeing a few sks's that were closet queens because they probably shot there buddy's sks and loved it and wanted one so they purchased it and it sat in there closets for many years still in excellect condition then for some reason they put it up for sale. We can still get some great buys...

They ain't gettin' any cheaper yanno...

Just wait till the yugo sks's finally dryup then we be shocked at the price increase on all the sks's. If we remember just before the yugo sks's became available the russian sks was hitting $400 to $450 then when the flood of yugo's hit here the prices fell somewhat. I wouldn't doubt it if we see the sks prices hit $750 or more when the yugo's dryup. Just look at the track record of all the other military semi-auto's.(price increases thru the years)

When the very first chinese norinco sks was offered here they were $59 and came with a free case of ammo 1440rds. These were dealer prices and the dealers offered the ammo and sks for $59 each. I remember the chinses sks prices were $1,000 at first and when they didn't sell because of this strange new caliber the prices fell so they would sell.

Russians, Romanians, and Albanians have already dried up from suppliers. Even when the Yugos do unless there is a new ban, I'm sure it'll be years before we see the average Norinco/Russian/Yugo/Romanian, etc. SKS going for much over $500. Someone will always have a Norinco or Russian to sell, and now add the Yugos to the list.
Remember when the Yugos first came out? They got prices comparable to an SVT40.[shocked]
Myself I love finding the guy that bought a Russian or Chinese SKS for under $100 back when and sells it these days for wanting what he paid for it.[smile]

A while back at the big e i seen some chinese sks's between $175 to $225 in new condition. Thats still a great buy. I tried to buy them up when ever i seen them priced right. I also did it with swede mausers too. These were the only two guns i really went after. Just look at the swede mausers now.

The net/dealer had the albies for $79.

I sure wish we still had the chinese norinco sks, m14 and the 1911a1 imported here. There 1911a1 is awesome too.

I went after a newspaper add for a hakim/rasheed and the guy pulls out an all matching swede mauser M96 in excellent condition and even the wood matches the serial number. I thought after my many years of searching i'd never find one. Later i also found an all matching chilean m95 7mm mausers too there very rare because they kept the bolts seperate from the rifles. You just never know what you will find if we keep on looking. Don't walk too fast at gun shows too. I try to go 2 or 3 times to the same show. Like saturday morning and saturday afternoon or sunday afternoon. Just picture the stock in your mind of what your looking for.

I was looking at the big e one day for a russian svt40 it was a big fall show and i walked the whole show looking very slowly. I found "1" svt40 at the last table.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom