Jurek Bro's in Greenfield

They are in the process of building a new building..When it is complete they will stop all retail sales and go law inforcement aonly..
They are not the best in the world but they are the only ones in the area..
Service is indeferent at times but not the worst there ever was..They do have a good selection of reloading stuff
Hate to admit it but they will be missed..

I've been a regular there for years now. It's too bad that they are closing to retail sales since their selection of both new and used guns has always been better than anyone else in W. Mass.

I stopped by there today, and the official closing date is July 29th. Small sales going on right now, like 20% off all turkey/deer hunting supplies and black powder gear. Also, 10% off all in stock gunpowder.

I've always found their service to be good and have always been treated like a friend when I walked in there.

They will be missed.

The inside scoop is that AAA Guns in W. Springfield is also considering moving out of state. Trader Johns in NH is for sale right now, and they are negotiating the purchase. With those two gone (not that I've actually ever seen a deal at AAA before), good luck finding any reasonable deals anywhere else, until I open my small shop, that is!

I have been doing business there since the 60's..
The guys running the place now are the third generation there.. Can't believe that there is that much law inforcement business to keep them going but there must be..Well I wish them good luck and they will be missed..
Haven't been down to AAA in years and never liked Trader John's place,always though he had an attitude problem.. Stopped at Valley recently and he doesn't have much and his prices are out of sight.That other place in Hamp doesn't have much either..
Shooters in this area are going to be hard pressed to find supplies very soon..
There wasn't much to be had at the spring gun show at the Big E this year either.hope the fall show is better..

I stopped going to the gunshows at the Big E. I rarely found any deals there, and it just keeps getting smaller and smaller. I haven't been in a few years now, and don't plan to go back.

I heard that about Valley. And Dave's Pioneer Sporting Center has reasonable prices, but he usually only has 15 or so guns. If you hit it when he's got the right thing, great. But, no selection.

AAA Guns- yup, horrible attutude. Same goes for Trader John's, so I guess it's a match made in Heaven. My friend and I went to Trader John's one time when he was looking for a rifle, and he had exactly what he wanted. So, he asked to see it. The owner told him to stop wasting his time since he's not going to buy anyway. We has just come back from Allstead Gun Shop and he had cash in his pocket. He flashed the bills and said thanks anyway. The owner tried to stop us from walking out the door, but that didn't happen.

Looks like the only game in the area is going to be R&R Sports. Usually a good selection, and prices are hit or miss.

Hawgleg44 said:
Looks like the only game in the area is going to be R&R Sports. Usually a good selection, and prices are hit or miss.

I think I saw them on Sunday (we were at a reenactment in Belchertown). Was that them? I saw the sign when we pulled into the DD's for an ice coffee.

Yeah, that's them. Excellent selection, almost as good as Jurek's, but prices vary widely. Sometimes they are hard to beat, other times they seem high.

The owner and his father are the two main guys working there. I get along with them fine, but they rub some people the wrong way. I've seen it both ways there. But, I've always been treated fairly when I go in there.

Hawgleg44 said:
Yeah, that's them. Excellent selection, almost as good as Jurek's, but prices vary widely. Sometimes they are hard to beat, other times they seem high.

The owner and his father are the two main guys working there. I get along with them fine, but they rub some people the wrong way. I've seen it both ways there. But, I've always been treated fairly when I go in there.

If they had been open when we were leaving, we would have stopped in. The car's on auto pilot whenever I see a gun shop - it pulls in. [lol]

Forgot about R&R,they do have quite a selection but if I remember correctly there is no reloading stuff..
There is a place in Palmer,Nick's I believe,that has a bit of stuff but I found his prices on powder rather high..
Then there is your favorite place Ed,Ware gun shop,where the deals are non stop..
There is that little place in Athol,Buck Rub,but it is more for the hunter..
Think there is a shop in Gardner,Match Shot Firearms,got a card somewhere..Have to think about finding it the next trip east..Speaking of east I always stop at FS Guns whenever possible on the way by.. Darn good place but not close enough for frequent stops especally with gas prices as they are today..

In MA, we can't mail order ammo or reloading components. They have to be bought in person. Basically, they changed that since it's now illegal to possess even a piece of empty brass without a license. Crazy thing is, if you have any piece of ammunition, component to a metallic cartridge or black powder component, and do not have a license, you are guilty of possession of ammunition without a permit, which holds the same penalty as possession of a handgun without a permit.

For reloading supplies, I'm planning to make a few trips a year up to the Allstead Gun Shop and buy in bulk.

I traded with Match Shot Firearms one time at the Big E show a few years ago. I think that was the last show I went to.

I'll NEVER again set foot in Ware Gun Shop. That's one place I would be happy to see close.

I knew about the ammo, but didn't know it extended to components. Damn, I ought to open a shop in Brattleboro, VT. I'd make money hand over fist, especially if I kept everything affordable.

I plan to open a small shop next year here in W. Mass and do just that. Limited hours and will order any gun legal in MA for 15% over cost. Reloading components would be very reasonably priced. Ammo is tricky though. I'd carry some stuff, but with Wal Mart and Dick's right down the road from me, they can buy it in bulk cheaper than I could with an 01 FFL. If it happens, I'll keep everyone posted.

derek said:
Hawgleg44 said:
I'll NEVER again set foot in Ware Gun Shop. That's one place I would be happy to see close.

What's up with the Ware GS?

Here's a copy/paste from the Gunshop Review board:

I stopped by Ware Gun Shop while just passing by one time. I saw an older S&W revolver I liked. So, I went home to dig through the safe to see what I could trade. I called up and offered a trade to the owner, who accepted it as an even trade. I drove all the way there (approx an hour) and the owner had left for the day and left his kid there. Well, the kid said that he wanted $70 plus my revolver in trade. When I mentioned the conversation I had with his father, all he said was "Well, it got you here, didn't it?" I felt like driving my truck through his front window!

Hawgleg44 said:
I plan to open a small shop next year here in W. Mass and do just that. Limited hours and will order any gun legal in MA for 15% over cost. Reloading components would be very reasonably priced. Ammo is tricky though. I'd carry some stuff, but with Wal Mart and Dick's right down the road from me, they can buy it in bulk cheaper than I could with an 01 FFL. If it happens, I'll keep everyone posted.

Let me know when you're get set up. I'll give you some sources to buy from, and obviously hook you up with a source for odd/obsolete ammo. We'll both win on that one.

derek said:
I hope you get better soon Hawgleg44.

Speaking as someone who's been dealing with surgeries and procedures for almost 2 years now, I can empathize. Feel better and quick recoveries Hawgleg44.

Nothing like a long term medical problem to change your perspectives. I'm one of the lucky ones, I've only got arthritis.

As I said, you can contact me when you're ready. I'll be more than glad to help a prospective dealer that wants to do right by the public.

Back
Top Bottom