"Juniors Sportsmans Day"

Our club is in the beginning stages of planning a day for our Junior members (age 12-17), and their friend. This will be a free event. The day will consist of range time(long guns), knife and hawk, and a fishing derby with prizes throughout the day. We are hoping to have this in late April/early May, but we need some junior members to help plan the day. We are encouraging you to bring your friends for a day of sportsman’s activities.

Has anyone else done anything like this? Have any pointers to share? I like to think of this kind of like the "Big MOE" the state puts on in Sturbridge, but smaller, kind of a "Mini-MOE".

Thanks.

more details» copy to my calendar»

Our Club does a Field Day, and the outdoor range is set up for kids to shoot .22s off blocks. Heavily supervised. We also have a swinging turkey, where kids can take a .410 shot at a ....swinging turkey. At the Trap field, we have youth-size 20 ga and 12 ga where kids can take a few shots.

Make sure that parents are there, and that you have competent and not otherwise occupied range staff for ALL events. Remember Noobs (especially kids) may not know the three rules, or not to lick the edge of a 'hawk

Harvard Sportmans Club does a "fun shoot" every spring. Everyone is welcome but it is largely geared towards the junior members. They make sure that they have plenty of prizes so everyone has a pretty good chance. Plenty of supervision and naturally, parents present for minors. Everyone seems to have a good time.

My club did a family fun day the past couple of years. It was members and their families only. The idea was more to showcase what the club had to offer besides the pistol pits and 100yd rifle range. A lot of people didn't realize we have skeet, trap, five stand, sporting clays, and a hunting preserve. The this spring I volunteered at the rifle range. We had some .22 rifles but I also brought my lever action Henry big boy in .38/.357. The kids that came down to the rifle range loved the Henry with .38spc. It is a centerfire rifle but kicks as much as a 22. I had it on a rest so that it was a lot easier for them to shoot. The kids kept coming back asking to shoot it again, including a couple of kids who were not sure about shooting a centerfire rifle because of noise and recoil. I was standing right next to the shooting bench watching them. The lever action is nice because the kids can't just crank off rounds but need to work the lever. If the club does it again I'll probably also bring my silver boy besides the big boy in .38/.357. I had a few parents tell me that their kids were probably going to ask about them getting a similar rifle because they loved shooting it so much.

Back
Top Bottom