JP trigger in AR15...

I have a follow up question on this topic: I have an old preban lower that I want to build up, starting with the Complete JP Fire Control System. However, don't trust any of the parts currently installed on the lower, so I want to strip it down to the bare receiver and start with all new parts. I'm not terribly familiar with all the parts on the AR just yet - can you give me an idea of what else Ill need to buy/replace along with the fire control system? Any recommendation as to how I go about doing that? Could I just send JP a stripped receiver and have them add the parts? Or is there a better way?

Well, there are two ways you can go about this:

1. You can buy a complete lower parts kit (LPK) for about $60, as well as a fire control group from JP and mix and match the pieces of your choosing. With this method, you will end up with a couple extra pieces (Extra fire control group) To me, extra parts aren't necessarily a bad thing. Things break. Replacements are handy

2. You buy the JP Fire Control Group. You buy all the parts for your lower individually... springs, pins, etc.

Which option is best? I would probably just do option 1. Like I said, extra parts and when all is said and done, a $60 LPK and buying all the parts individually will probably come somewhat close in price. There would also be no chance of missing a little part that you need come assembly time only to realize you didn't order it.

ETA: Quick research. Grant at gandrtactical.com has LMT lower parts kits without trigger assembly and pistol grip for people in your exact situation. They aren't on the website, but email him and ask him about the kit and pricing.

Last edited:
I agree with Cuda's #1. Plus if you do install the JP kit yourself... you might benefit from having an extra disconnector. ;)

Sending the stripped lower to JP might be a good idea also if you don't want to do it yourself... I think you will be paying a bit more though.

Or you could simply drop in a modular unit, like the Chip McCormick triggers.

Mine is very nice.

Timney also makes a drop in trigger that is also very nice. Installation is basically dropping it in,

I have shot with the JP, it is very nice and slightly better than the timney regarding creep. but the only time you would notice the difference is shooting them back to back off a rest

I installed a JP trigger group (parts, not module) and am quite happy with it for centerfire ammo. The light weight hammer spring that gives it the nice light trigger won't reliably ignite the cheap 22 LR ammo I use in my DPMS upper. Unfortunately, the heavy hammer spring delivered with the unit raises the pull to over 5 lb so it is not an option for me. JP trigger and hammer pins are a deal at $10 or so and should be included in the trigger job. They are slightly larger in diameter than stock and the JP trigger is designed to work with them.

I have just finished a lower for 22 LR ammo. I went with a trigger group from Accuracy Speaks. This trigger group will give tou a 4 lb trigger with a stock hammer spring and is almost completely reliable.

Back
Top Bottom