• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jim Wallace from Goal interview 8/1/22

Disclaimer: This is NOT directed at any one person, despite the tendency of groupthink to think it is. Rather, it's a reminder for all of us (me included) of Theodore Roosevelt's thoughts on the subject. The only thing that could make this clip better would be to hear it in Teddy's own distinctive voice.

Yes it is. As it should be. I mean, we expect the poor guy to work a totally different job but create policy, cultivate legislator relationships and run the whole organization??? Again, he's not JUST a lobbyist. When you send a check to GOAL, what do you think happens? There isn't a membership department and a fulfillment department and such. It's a few people. (Not pointed at you, Greg. But damn Jim does a lot that I never knew he had to do.)

Amen amen amen. Every club should be GOAL100. No reason not to. "We don't want to offend them." F em. This whole old gun culture cheap-ass stuff has to go. When gun clubs wonder if they can increase membership dues from $89 to $99, we've got a problem. Your younger shooters think zip about this.

Not only could most clubs increase dues by 50% without a meeting's worth of grumbling, every single one could require GOAL and not lose more than 1-2% of membership. Do both, lose 5% and still have MORE money and MORE GOAL support.

I have no time or energy to do this, but each club should designate a GOAL ombudsman of sorts. During renewal drive, there should be a guy there taking memberships to GOAL. The membership guy should tell every dude dropping his stuff off, "You gotta go talk to that guy."

GOAL guy would have an offer. Maybe 50% of hte first year. Collect the. . . . whopping $15 and get a name, address, email. That's it. You'd increase GOAL membership a ton at each club.

THEN. . . . you could have the clubs GOALy enough to be mentioning it in their renewal EMAIL. "And while you're at it, head on over to www.goal.org and renew that as well. And if you ain't a GOAL member, you ain't a proper gun owner."

It needs a driver to do all of that. At one point in my past, I thought I could be that guy. Then my business got mega-busy and I couldn't do it. But it would take about 100 guys in the state and a few to run it in order to make it work.
Full disclosure.

Some in the club were only interested with fishing the pond or archery. No interest in shooting sports. So I asked those do they belong to any association like Trout Unlimited or something archery related.

Some guys got it. Others not so much. The club was not insured by the NRA and this was before Mr Dry Cleaner was there.

Jim is an awesome dude but he can't do everything himself. We have to act as well. GOAL had a nice class in lobbying a few years ago. If they have it again, you should go.
A few of us from NES attended one of those Lobbying Classes in Marlborough pre-Covid. Great Class. Jim is as you say and I respect his efforts and leadership.

To NES~Mass:
As to G.O.A.L. it is Ours. The Gun Owners of Massachusetts. If it sucks, it's because WE let it. Fix what you think is broke...
~Enbloc

So lets say for the sake of argument that GOAL gets a $10,000,000 donation.

Since a lot of people's arguments seem to be that there aren't enough members(IOW, money) is the reason why GOAL can't do the things people want them to do.. Lets just say every single gun club in the state is forced by a boot on the throat to become a GOAL member.

What does GOAL do with the influx of 10's of millions of dollars to change things?

it's not about the money... look at any of the orgs, Ducks Unlimited, NWTF, AARP, etc.. it's about the number of members...

Say GOAL has 10 members contributing $10M total.. GOAL has tons of money, but no clout... Give them $10M and 1 million members, and that get a politician's attention.

maybe its something like GOAL offering a "Club" membership for like $5000/year. Club charges an extra $10/member or so to cover the club membership cost. GOAL requires a list of members to increase their membership #s. (just thinking out loud here).

it's not about the money... look at any of the orgs, Ducks Unlimited, NWTF, AARP, etc.. it's about the number of members...

Say GOAL has 10 members contributing $10M total.. GOAL has tons of money, but no clout... Give them $10M and 1 million members, and that get a politician's attention.

maybe its something like GOAL offering a "Club" membership for like $5000/year. Club charges an extra $10/member or so to cover the club membership cost. GOAL requires a list of members to increase their membership #s. (just thinking out loud here).

Kinda my point.. $10mm won't do a thing.. Have to have 1 million votes all voting the same way. In this state it seems 20% of gun owners are conservative, and the other 80% will turn the conservatives in when the time come "for the greater good", and the dems know this.

So lets say for the sake of argument that GOAL gets a $10,000,000 donation.

Since a lot of people's arguments seem to be that there aren't enough members(IOW, money) is the reason why GOAL can't do the things people want them to do.. Lets just say every single gun club in the state is forced by a boot on the throat to become a GOAL member.

What does GOAL do with the influx of 10's of millions of dollars to change things?

It's less about the mullah and more about the clout.

Several times in teh last 20 or so years, I've put up a bunch of people for NRA and GOAL memberships right before key elections. Get the #'s up so that when lobbyists show up, the congress critters know they represent X# of voters. Especially when you can break down an issue, "You've won by 394 votes last term. We've got 1,932 members in your district that aren't happy how things went down."

Is it going to completely change MA? No. Is it going to make people sit up and notice us? Yes it is. I'm gonna bet that gun club membership is around 200K people. That's a lot. It would do a lot. Not change the world, but it sure would help.

Full disclosure.

Some in the club were only interested with fishing the pond or archery. No interest in shooting sports. So I asked those do they belong to any association like Trout Unlimited or something archery related.

Some guys got it. Others not so much. The club was not insured by the NRA and this was before Mr Dry Cleaner was there.

Yeah. F that. I'm not sure I care about the trouties. The archery guys are NEXT on the list after gun owners. So they should get it anyhow.

I can't imagine that many gun clubs have a pond. 10%? Maybe???

Several times in teh last 20 or so years, I've put up a bunch of people for NRA and GOAL memberships right before key elections. Get the #'s up so that when lobbyists show up, the congress critters know they represent X# of voters. Especially when you can break down an issue, "You've won by 394 votes last term. We've got 1,932 members in your district that aren't happy how things went down."

Is it going to completely change MA? No. Is it going to make people sit up and notice us? Yes it is. I'm gonna bet that gun club membership is around 200K people. That's a lot. It would do a lot. Not change the world, but it sure would help.

Yeah. F that. I'm not sure I care about the trouties. The archery guys are NEXT on the list after gun owners. So they should get it anyhow.

I agree.. It's more about having 500k people(as in guaranteed votes) in your back pocket than $500k in your wallet.

Wallace is facing an uphill battle, and money is not the answer, unless of course it is some broke junior congressman that is broke and looking for re-election money to swing his or her vote.

A natural one? No. Westford has a pond that was dug by Frank Kitner. Damn I’m old. 😂 Lowell in Chelmsford has a natural pond. I was at Concord R&G so duhhhhh. Harvard does have a large body of water.
I’m almost positive that the other Concord club has a pond.
No other league clubs i shot trap and pistol at had ponds that I recall but that’s stupidity on my part. We shot them we ate and drank!!! 😂

Kitner??? Didn't Bruce eat him off of Amity Beach???? Thankfully, his body wasn't spilled out all over the dock. I just wanted you to know that. ;)

Kinda my point.. $10mm won't do a thing.. Have to have 1 million votes all voting the same way. In this state it seems 20% of gun owners are conservative, and the other 80% will turn the conservatives in when the time come "for the greater good", and the dems know this.
$10m could pay off some politicians, no ?

Back
Top Bottom