Jericho VT?

Bring a 22 to offset it for the 25 meter stuff, that is what I plan on doing unless I end up loaning my 22's out.

When you go out to full distance the round counts drop way down. If the flyer says 200 rounds bring 3 or 400 of centerfire and a .22 and you'll be fine.

Yeah, especially with half the people working pits and the other half having to move the gear 100 yards to another firing line every 10 rounds.

Packing now. May work from home tomorrow to pack and wait for some overnighted equipment.

Prepare for rain on Friday and Sat.

There's a porta potty there. Not sure about fires...... I don't remember anyone making one last year.

A few lessons (re)learned:

Loosening the belt helps stage 2.
Bring a smaller front sight for 600.
Bring a smaller rear sight for 600.
Bring sight black.
It's TapRackBang, dummy... not WTF Rack Click WTF Rack Click WTF Rack Click Tap Rack Cease Fire

September's going to be even better. We'll be moving up the start of the KD portion... possibly as early as late Saturday.

To the all of the instructors... Thanks for a great time yet again. Special thanks to Nickle for making sure we got to shoot out to 600m!!! Having never shot out to 600 before... getting 4 shots on paper... with 1 of them being in the 5 ring was kick ass for me (using a 14.5" AR-15 with Aimpoint T-1 zeroed at 25yds = having to use a ridiculous hold-off at 600).

And it was great meeting some of the NESers that were there. Good people.

H

Last edited:
Did you guys have to wear helmets in the pits?

That's not a joke or a wise-ass crack. During the Vermont State Championships in May, the Guard required everybody to wear a kevlar helmet while pulling.

Yes, that's the new rule. Nickle or Ripersnifle can correct me but if I heard the conversation correctly there weren't enough to go around. So we shot without anybody in the pits. After the Cease Fire a pit crew hopped in the back of a few pickup truck and pasted/scored with orange marking the group center. We all got a sheet with the hits drawn on it at the end of the day. It worked out so we had 19 shooting the KD course and everybody got to shoot. Out at 600 where there are only 16 positions, we doubled up some .223 and .30 cal on the same target.

I'm thinking about doing the Jericho event in September. I have a .223 now and plan to get something in a .308 eventually. Would it be worth it to step up my plans and pickup a .308 sooner to practice with a bit and then use at the event? Am I going to miss out on anything if I only have a 16" .223 for the long range stuff? If a .308 is recommended, is a semiauto .308 recommended or is a bolt action .308 fine? I'll have my Ruger 10/22 for the short range stuff.

Have you shot KD with .223 before? I don't think you'll be missing out on anything besides a little muzzle velocity with the 16" .223. Goes through paper just the same at 400. There are a lot of ways .308 beats .223 but one of them isn't 400 yard target shooting unless you're really really worried about the wind.

Bolt vs. semi is really up to you. The bolt action rifles are by nature more accurate, but only if you can work them without ruining your position from shot to shot.

Maaan, I have to get bcak for one of these...I went to the first one, what was it, 2007 already? Time flies....

Is this happening again this year? I had to work last year and couldn't go but would love to make it to one of these.

As a matter of fact, there is an Appleseed at Jericho on 4/16-17. Come on up, there will be plenty of room on the line. Make sure that you bring a centerfire for KD.

There are plans for a few more this year, but nothing definite as of today.

Back
Top Bottom