• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

J.P. Sauer 38H - One for the record book?

USMA-82

NES Member
Picked this up on Gunbroker because I have really been fascinated by the cocking/decocking operation on this late WWII-era pistol, the Sauer 38H. Come to find out the serial number shows it may be one of the last proofed guns (eagle over N) known to exist before the Sauer factory was taken over by the Allies:

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=26209

Jim Cate (post #3 "jps-s" ) co-wrote the authorative collector's volume on this guns, "J.P. Sauer & Sohn: Suhl (Waffenstadt) : a historical study of Sauer automatic pistols"

Kinda neat...

That is pretty cool to have the last documented pistol made during WWII. Good find and good research. Too bad that book is so expensive.

WOW, nice find !
"Very early" and "very late" pieces are always interesting.
They do create a dilemma, though: Knowing you have one of the first AND one of the last always tells, how many you're still missing[smile]
I have this issue with both P.08's and Oberndorf K98k's. For the latter I know, that
I'm missing approx. 5.3 million in between my S/42K and svwMB[rofl]

No expertise on my part - I just saw the gun I wanted at a reasonable price and went for it. The serial number "bonus" was just by chance.

I do wish the J.P. Sauer & Sohn book was a little less expensive - I'd have to sell a couple of pistols to get it. Or, give up the chance of buying a couple more...

Both choices being unreasonable, of course.

USA-82, I meant you did good research after the purchase to determine uniqueness of the serial number. I realize you relied upon the expertise of others to make the determination, but you made the initial step.

I may have to make a post over at luger gunboards to find any info on my 38H. The best I can find is that it is a First Police Variation, although I am not really sure what that means.

I agree about how interesting the cocking technology is on that gun. That was a bonus when I bought mine. I did not even know what that lever was for until after I bought it. I just bought it because it was WWII and Nazi marked. It is pretty cool that you can take cock it for DA only firing on the first shot. It was way ahead of its time.

38H are nice guns. I have a high polished version WaA37 proofed. Magazines are harder to find. I think these neat little pistols are kind of neglected somewhat. I hope you enjoy yours.

I will keep my eye out for a nice one for you. I pass many of them up because there is always something further up the food chain on my collectors list to buy.

Thanks daltrey; it's first or second on my list. The other is an all matching CE44 K98k restored sporter a friend has, so I know its legit. I assume I should hold out for a 'rig,' with holster and spare mag. Probably not completely last ditch; second or third Wehrmachts variation, SN 300-450K, E37/army proof preferred over Eagle N/C Police issue.

(Don't mean to hijack this thread; but thanks for the help.)

MS

I wish I could be the right person at the right place at the right time at the right price; just once.[thumbsup]

MS

I've been that person, but pretty much exclusively with East German Makarovs.

I don't think I've ever held a 38H. I was interested in finding one a few years back but a Mauser HSc caught my eye instead. There's another really nice wartime pistol with interesting history. Mine was post-war production but was beautifully made just the same. Very cool design.

Yes, and I was beginning to feel bad that I only paid $75 for it. (beautiful shape, but no mag, from a dealer).

If I were to buy a 2nd one, I wanted to know what is a decent price.

Hey, original mags are $100 all day on GB; so you're only out $175 - a great buy.

MS

Back
Top Bottom