• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

J.C. Higgins Model 20 12g (missing ejector?)

Hello.

My names Tony. Relatively new member. Actually as I type this I am going to pay my dues to become an official member!!

Hoping the people in the community can help me...

I broke down my J.C. Higgins model 20 12ga and it seems like it's missing the actual ejector? (Hence the reason why I am taking this gun down for the first time as it was gifted to me and was having feeding issues)

I'll link a video I found off of YouTube for reference as to what I seen this gentlemen removing from his gun which seems to be missing in mine.

View: https://youtu.be/ApF5aTjFJbw

Fast forward to 8:30

Attachments

• 1613750959215784624477753301513.jpg
    1613750959215784624477753301513.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 16
It sure does.

Is that screw sheared off? Looks it from your picture
Whats visible is the small set screw that enters from the exterior of the shotgun into the inside (seen in the picture)

This is it from the outside to maybe give you an idea.

Attachments

• 1613751491126368515765419320206.jpg
    1613751491126368515765419320206.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 9
Whats visible is the small set screw that enters from the exterior of the shotgun into the inside (seen in the picture)

This is it from the outside to maybe give you an idea.

That screw on the outside of yours looks an awful lot like the screw pulled out from the inside of the one in the vid @ about the 8:30 mark.
What I could see, it doesn't look like the one in the vid has that same screw on the outside. Are they mated and I couldn't see it?
I'm just guessing.
Is there a parts schematic you have access to?

That ejector screw whole should go all the way through. If not the screw sheared off.View attachment 452090View attachment 452091
Ahhhh I see now.....

So it looks like I'm missing 2 components??

Attached is you picture I'm using for reference. What's the arrow is pointing at is what?? That I know I'm missing...
And what is circled is what??

(Sorry, don't know all component names.. trying to get familiar!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210219-112440_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210219-112440_Chrome.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 14
Ahhhh I see now.....

So it looks like I'm missing 2 components??

Attached is you picture I'm using for reference. What's the arrow is pointing at is what?? That I know I'm missing...
And what is circled is what??

(Sorry, don't know all component names.. trying to get familiar!)
The circled feature is a circular pocket probably put there to allow chips to break free during the machining of the slot that intersects it. A manufacturing artifact that has nothing to do with the function of the gun... my guess.

The circle you have drawn does not have anything that goes there. It’s just a relief cut for the extractor. Your ejector screw is in back wards. You just need an ejector.

Last edited:
I just went to Numrich gun parts and looked up that gun. There is a very nice schematic and parts list. Check out Numrich Gun Parts find your parts.

The circled feature is a circular pocket probably put there to allow chips to break free during the machining of the slot that intersects it. A manufacturing artifact that has nothing to do with the function of the gun... my

I just went to Numrich gun parts and looked up that gun. There is a very nice schematic and parts list. Check out Numrich Gun Parts find your parts.
Thank you both for your help! Much appreciated!

Im not sure if all JC higgins model 20 share the same designs Sears was great at this.
High Standard was the common manufacture for alot of the JC higgins branded line. While close to some designs not always exact copy . When I look at the model 20 digram that pops up on GunPartsCorp it does not appear to have the receiver wall mounted ejector? Its through the left side “extractor”
There should be a model # like 101.34567
You can get some more detailed info with that.
I have a manufacture cross over chart somewhere, get that “catalog” number and I will look it up

The circle you have drawn does not have anything that goes there. It’s just a relief cut for the extractor. Your ejector screw is in back wards. You just need an ejector.
The slot is the relief for extractor, the round pocket facilitates the cutting of the slot. You can't broach/key slot to a shoulder. You need somewhere for the chip to go and be cut free.

I'll be in touch. If I still need parts after waiting for this one to come in the mail, I'll hit you back. Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom