Italian hunter dies after suffering fatal bite from boar he shot: report

Reptile

NES Member

The hunter's father was reportedly treated at the scene for shock​

An Italian hunter died last week after he was attacked by a wild boar he had just shot that bit him in the leg and severed his femoral artery, according to reports.

Giulio Burattini, 36, was hunting with his father in the Tuscan woods on Jan. 19, the Daily Star reported, citing Italian media. Burattini shot the animal and it fell. He approached the injured boar and it quickly got up and charged at him, the report said. The father, who was treated for shock at the scene, reportedly let out a "desperate cry for help."

"That cry for help and then nothing more," the friend said, according to the paper. Emergency crews could not save Burattini.

In Italy’s rural areas, hunting wild boar is a popular sport and most Italians can offer a long list of their favorite wild boar dishes, including pappardelle pasta with boar sauce and wild boar stew. Italy’s main agriculture lobby, Coldiretti, estimates there are over 2 million wild boars in Italy.

They are no joke.
I've hunted both Russian boar and Razorbacks .
Either one is more than capable of killing you back.
Adult boars are vicious- when we hunted we always did it in doubles - would do paper/scissors on who is primary shooter and second would be a backup behind, in a case if that thing charges and primary shooter misses.
And to shoot it down when alpha boar charges at you is quite something.

They are no joke.
They are no joke.

He should have shot it twice. I’d love to go hog hunting down south one day.
I did. My friend lives in Georgia now with his wife after they retired. I shot a 170 pound sow with my Savage .223. One round in the head was instantly fatal. Her tusks were razor sharp and about 3" long, each. More than enough to slash a man to death, even though she was relatively small by hog standards. Slash an artery in the extremities or in the neck, death is almost guaranteed. Wild hogs are smart, irritable and vicious. Never underestimate one, regardless of size.

shot a 170 pound
Biggest one I shot was 187kg -412lbs. Pretty big thing. I heard here in states there are some species that go up to 1000lbs - dunno how that hunt is structured, as a 1000lbs of muscles with tusks got to be some serious force.

I'm thinking of importing one into my stable of Spirit Animals.

Wild Boars are very respectable.

Not sure if he will cohabitate with my other Spirit Animals - namely my Beaver.

I did. My friend lives in Georgia now with his wife after they retired. I shot a 170 pound sow with my Savage .223. One round in the head was instantly fatal. Her tusks were razor sharp and about 3" long, each. More than enough to slash a man to death, even though she was relatively small by hog standards. Slash an artery in the extremities or in the neck, death is almost guaranteed. Wild hogs are smart, irritable and vicious. Never underestimate one, regardless of size.
A guy i used to work with would go to Georgia to hunt hogs, he said one day he stopped to take a piss and leaned his rifle against a tree. Mid stream a boar came charging at him and up a tree he went. He claimed it took 5-6 shots from his sidearm .357 to kill it. Lesson learned was bring a sidearm that can take it down in one shot.

Did the really need to add the menu to the story? Does anyone edit news stories anymore?

Damn near ran over one driving on a back road at night outside of Siena. They’re pretty common in Tuscany and they make some great papardelle with them.

Many years ago, early '80's or late '70's I thnk, I went with some friends to a preserve in VT on a Russian boar hunt--I was the team photographer. I think it was Wild Hill and we had a guide and dogs. The dogs started baying as they found one and it was something to see as the boar was trying to drive them off.
Handguns were used and my buddy hit the boar with a scoped 629, and I heard, "good hit, he's down" at which point he was up and running. Second .44 mag hit and he stumbled but kept coming, and it was in my direction. Let the camera hang from my neck and hit him with a .357. Changed direction and stumbled going up a slope and a 3rd .44 hit put him down.
Still have a pic of him somewhere.

I read somewhere that Texas has such a big problem that farmers will dig a big ditch and let hunters just shoot them to kill and not use them for meat. The amount of piglets that come from one sow is phenomenal.

I read somewhere that Texas has such a big problem that farmers will dig a big ditch and let hunters just shoot them to kill and not use them for meat. The amount of piglets that come from one sow is phenomenal.
From what I have been told , the larger ones down there where it's real hot are not really fit to eat.
Tons of fleas and parasites.
The young ones are decent eating.
My last Russian boar dressed at 310 and that was some fine eating.

Just as I stop at the traffic light for the KSC visitor's center on Merritt Island
back on 9-Feb'22, I spot some massive black furry stuff in the drainage ditch.
I'm all like, "is that a black bear? It's not a deer and it's too big for roadkill".
The light goes green, and I make the turn.

End of the day we're leaving for dinner,
and I stop to take a photo of the entrance sign.
Lo and behold, I look and there's a half a dozen or so wild hogs
rooting in the ditch.

We've seen them at least once at the wildlife refuge,
but that was more remote.

Young guy I know was in TX, at an Army competition. He was doing a Land Nav course. He saw a tree, and thought that a little shade might be nice; as he got closer, he saw some brown things under the tree.

They saw him.

He said that he made excellent time on that part of the course.

From Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot:

The town took its peculiar name from a fairly prosaic occurrence. One of the area's earliest residents was a dour, gangling farmer named Charles Belknap Tanner. He kept pigs, and one of the large sows was named Jerusalem. Jerusalem broke out of her pen one day at feeding time, escaped into the nearby woods, and went wild and mean. Tanner warned small children off his property for years afterward by leaning over his gate and croaking at them in ominous, gore-crow tones: 'Keep 'ee out o' Jerusalem's wood lot, if 'ee want to keep 'ee guts in 'ee belly!' The warning took hold, and so did the name. It proves little, except that perhaps in America even a pig can aspire to immortality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom