Is this slaughter or hunting?

J

JellyFish

http://real-hunters.com/full.swf

I say it's slaughter not hunting. Why would anybody need to drug an animal in order to shoot it? Or put it in a position where it had no chance to get away?

That ain't hunting, that's slaughter. [rolleyes]

Nor do I care for the manipulation used to shoot TV segments. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaame and phony! [angry]

What say you?

Just from what you typed Jim, I'm not even going to click on it. It'll P me off. And, if you say it's slaughter, then it's gotta be. [wink]

I'll take your word for it, about 4 weeks ago i was watching VS formerly OLN
and they were on a pig hunt, 4 dogs confine the pig, several hold the front
and back legs and then the "hunter" comes along with a knife and stabs
it....

Big brave hunter, anyone else see this....

JimB

That's "hunting" the way a drive-by shooting is "self-defense."

Such practices will destroy hunting; the public will reject ALL hunting because of these abuses and disease from captive animals contaminating wild ones will destroy the game.

I watched just part or the video, which shows animals in a fenced area being flushed in circles until they're shot by a person in a tree stand.

It is neither hunting nor slaugther. According to Webster it is abuse:

Slaughter (v.) to kill or butcher (animals), esp. for food

Hunt (v.) to pursue (game) for food or sport.

Abuse (v.) to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way

I hope no one will be offended if I disagree...

I watched the whole video (it was agonizingly boring).

The people in the video raised deer for the purpose of killing them. What is the difference between that and a pig farm? Was it real hunting? Who cares. If a man would rather spend $15,000 for an easy kill than to actually work for it, what difference does it make to me or anyone else.

Those animals are raised for the purpose of being killed. Who cares if they drug them first.

The commentator also made an issue of these deer farms producing a lot of disease. In light of the fact that some of the deer who escape could infect wild deer I understand there may be a problem there.

But I do not understand how one can be offended by a deer being shot (while drugged and caged) when they would eat a turkey who also never had a chance.

My Disclosure…I do not hunt and I find deer meat repulsive…blaa

Last edited:
Thank you for the dissenting message, massnee. Disagreement is welcome and appreciated.

The problem I have with the video is that it is not hunting. The deer have no chance to escape so I disgree with any portrayal of it as hunting. Do they have the right to raise them for slaughter? Sure they do. But they have cloaked their slaughter in the guise of hunting and I utterly reject any attempt to call it that.

Fair chase is part of hunting. If there isn't any then it's not hunting. The prey MUST be given a chance to escape and defeat the hunter.

Turkeys? Well nobody is saying that eating a store bought turkey is hunting. It's outsourcing your need to kill to a third party vendor. The issue here is labelling something "hunting" when it's really not.

And for the record, I look down at anybody who would pay to kill an animal they could not hunt fairly themselves. What's the point of that? So you can get its head or something? Trophy hunting is fine but if you didn't really hunt it then the trophy you get from doing something like that is false anyway. So what's the point? You got its head but you didn't really hunt it. You essentially bought the head from a vendor.

I have not hunted deer yet but I know some who have and they do not need to pay somebody so they can chase a deer around an enclosure. The people I know actually HUNT the deer in the wild where the deer have every opportunity to either avoid the hunter or to escape. That's hunting and that's NOT what that video was about.

Just my two cents, take it as you will. [grin]

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, have you considered reading In Defense of Hunting? You might want to give it a read and consider getting into the sport. Lots of fun and good exercise too. [grin]

If you are in MA, you can take a free Basic Hunter's Education class that's mandatory for new hunters. It's paid for by our license fees. Great class, highly recommended even if you never hunt. Lots of very good information.

9780062512376.jpg

My Disclosure…I do not hunt and I find deer meat repulsive…blaa

I appreciate your response...

As I disclosed I am not a hunter. I understand that many hunters would have philosophical objections to deer farms.

I must admit I did get a kick out of the guy who shot a caged deer with a bow (the arrow actually bounced off?) and then he turned to the camera and excitedly declared that it was the biggest deer he ever killed!

I do not exactly understand how anyone could be excited about that...but if someone would pay me $15,000 I would be glad to throw a deer in a pen for them...for that kind of money I would also throw in a few cats as well. [smile]

I have no problem with animals being raised for their meat and being slaughtered. I eat meat. I also have no problem with hunting wild animals. I haven't hunted but when I find the time I will some day.

To me though there is something fundamentally wrong with raising animals to be used as target practice in a caged in area. It's probably not the worst case of animal abuse but it all makes me think of the crying Indian (or an Italian-American dressed as an Indian):

CryingIndian.jpg

I have no problem with animals being raised for their meat and being slaughtered. I eat meat. I also have no problem with hunting wild animals.

Agreed. Just don't tell me, as massnee ineffectively attempts to, that shooting a drugged, caged animal is "hunting."

The "I do not understand how one can be offended by a deer being shot (while drugged and caged) when they would eat a turkey who also never had a chance" argument is specious. No-one claims a slaughterhouse gives an animal a chance; the whole purpose is to ensure that it does NOT, thus guaranteeing meat for consumers. Sport is not even a consideration in this process; it is the essential aspect of true hunting.

Those who cannot distinguish between the two - or who won't acknowledge it - come to the discussion empty-handed (headed?).

To me though there is something fundamentally wrong with raising animals to be used as target practice in a caged in area. It's probably not the worst case of animal abuse but it all makes me think of the crying Indian (or an Italian-American dressed as an Indian):

CryingIndian.jpg

That is Iron Eyes Cody; not some tarted-up Mediterranean. He is, IIRC, a Sioux or Cheyenne. Given Hollywood's use of fake indians, your suspicions are well-founded, but, in this case, he's the real deal.

I think Teddy Roosevelt's observations on the lazy rich ruining hunting are dead-on, present apologists notwithstanding.

Some believe Iron Eyes Cody was born in Louisiana as Espera DeCorti, the son of Sicilian immigrants. Iron Eyes denied this.

Google "Espera Decorti" for more info.

I've never been hunting but have no problem with legitimate hunting whatsoever. This however is pathetic and ridiculous. If I was a hunter I'd be outraged.

it's not hunting but I don't really see how it is cruel to the animals. The kills seemed pretty quick except the arrow bouncing off. I don't know what that was about.

The part where too many deer live in a square mile was concernig because the animals are not being cared for. That is cruel and wrong.

If the animals were cared for I wouldn't have too much a of a problem with what they are doing but I do equate it to a person sitting on the dock with a line in the water and a guy under the dock with a bucket of fish hooking htme on every time the line is dropped. No sport...can't even see how you could consider it a sport. Deer have no chance.

I like deer meat and I like veal. I eat them both and like them a lot. No different from a farm raised animal except they are not cared for at all. That is cruel and it is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom