Is this normal?

I'm fairly new to shooting and recently picked up a Ruger 1911 and a couple boxes of Blazer Brass 45 ammo. After taking it to the range I noticed my arms are covered in black flakes. I have never seen this happen before and was wondering if this is something normal for a 1911 or is it the ammo, or is something going on wrong? Thanks!

Powder residue. I wouldn't worry about it. Some ammo leaves more then others. I used to shoot Federal cheap box stuff for trap and I would come home stinking and covered with powder. It was so bad that my car would stink too.

Welcome aboard.

I'm fairly new to shooting and recently picked up a Ruger 1911 and a couple boxes of Blazer Brass 45 ammo. After taking it to the range I noticed my arms are covered in black flakes. I have never seen this happen before and was wondering if this is something normal for a 1911 or is it the ammo, or is something going on wrong? Thanks!

There's a lot of ammo that does this. Federal AE .45 used to cover my arms with black flecks. I think it's just unburned powder or something.

- - - Updated - - -

It happens to me when I use Unique to load .45.

Funny I never had it happen with Unique, but then again it might have been a recipe variation. I ran thousands of rounds of like 6.3grs of Unique w/230gr plated fmj bullet. Gun got lots of dirt on it but don't remember debris on my arms from it.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom