• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this correct???

trinorbsa

NES Member
I visited a local gun shop today and asked if I could buy a _pre_ Sept 13, 1994 semi auto pistol that isn't on the AG's list of approved firearms and was from out of state and was told NO.
Is this correct?

I'm not sure why he'd decline, but it's legal to transfer to my from understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If one FFL won't do it, go to another.

Local gun shops are literally the last place you can expect to get accurate advice about the details of MA law.
Overheard last saturday:
Rando looking for first gun "Why can't I buy a Glock?"
LGS employee "Because they are illegal in MA."
Me: "No they aren't"
LGS employee "That's true"
*facepalm*

I was always under the impression for a transfer to happen on a pre 94 or 98 (whatever the stupid pistol rule year was) had to be in the state prior to xxxx date.

there was chatter here once that carl at 4s wouln't take in any pre "list" pistols without proof of it being in state prior to that date. i'm not sure of the timeline either but for some reason i just assumed it was '98. really don't want to go through the hassle of trying to search for it.

Pretty sure Len has said multiple times that the "in state before" thing is bullshit. Besides that, why the hell would it matter?

Try a Freedom-loving gun shop next time...

Besides that, why the hell would it matter?
dunno, i scratch my head in wonderment over a lot of "what would it matter" scenarios i've encountered over the years. you can't even find 2 shops that do the same thing. crazy, right? i just had a guy who's been in the business for 40 years tell me permanently fixing a 2" muzzle device on a 14.5" barrel was illegal, it still was a 14.5" barrel.

Lol. I'd love to find a Not-for-profit gun shop where all proceeds go towards Gun Rights Orgs.

The head-exploding would rival Austin...

A good number of local shops follow this rule:
It has to have documentation of being in the state prior to that date. Right or wrong, I’ve encountered more shops that follow that rule than don’t.

I sold 2 pre-98 Glocks by consignment a couple of years ago through a LGS (not FS). The LGS never asked me if they were in state prior to 1998 (they were, though). The LGS did the transfer with the buyer for my Glocks without me there. I could have bought these Glocks in or out of state after 1998, so what is the difference?

Last edited:
there was chatter here once that carl at 4s wouln't take in any pre "list" pistols without proof of it being in state prior to that date. i'm not sure of the timeline either but for some reason i just assumed it was '98. really don't want to go through the hassle of trying to search for it.

I've sold pre-98 Glock at Carl's. He never required proof of ownership.

I think it's a EOPS, not an AG thing. Because I tried selling a pre-98 something-else (I forget what - maybe my Python) and he wanted paper-trail that it was in-state prior to 98. Just my transfer paperwork alone was not enough. Given the # of used Glocks that Carl sells, dealing with the AG issue and pre-98 is not a problem for him. You can't honestly believe that all of those guns are MA guns in the first place.

But not MA trade-ins per se. ANY pre-98 gun that is on the EOPS list is AOK. If dealers had to comply with pre-98/pre-AG, there would be ZERO Glocks for sale.

They used to sell pre 98 Glock 22 Detroit PD trade in pistols wouldn’t that qualify as coming from a different state?

Carl has the AG on his back for being the highest sales by volume LGS in MA. Don't expect 4s to do anything not blessed by their legal team as uber conservative.

Given the f-ed up laws in this state and the fact that most LGS owners probably don’t have law degrees, it’s hard for me to blame them for erring on the side of caution.

Doesn’t mean you have to keep shopping there, though.

Back
Top Bottom