is this .303 safe to shoot?

first question is...was there ever any corrosive .303 manufactured?

second is...is the stuff i was just given safe to shoot?

it comes in a cardboard box stamped...
"made in england"
32 cartridges
.303 inch
Mk 7
1.S.A.A.
H 3282

head stamps read...
"K51" on 1 side and i think "L" on the other
and "RG 52" and the "L" again

got this stuff from a great uncle who had it in his safe...price on the box says $4

It is pretty safe to assume that milsurp .303 is corrosive. The vast majority was.
I have not heard of any that was unsafe to fire. There is some Packistani, i belive, that is not very sure fire.
A thorough cleaning with a water based cleaner is all you need do to remove the corrosive salts from the barrel, followed by oiling the bore. It is a good isea to follow up with another cleaning a couple or three days later, just to be sure.
Some corrosive ammo can start to attack the metal quickly and some folks insist on cleaning the bore with Windex at the range to be extra safe.

Jack

It's great ammo. Radway Green post WWII stuff is fantastic, in my experience.

I've shot thousands of rounds of .303 through my No 4, most of that corrosive. If you clean it with hot soapy water it shouldn't be a problem- I haven't had any trouble using that method.

Most .303 surplus is corrosive but I don't think any has been considered unsafe. Obviously, if you see corrosion on the ammunition then you'd think twice.

Hoppes #9 contains ammonia and is formulated to inactivate the corrosive salts, so if you give it a good cleaning with Hoppes, you should be all set.

Sometimes I reverse the question and wonder if there was ever any 303 made that was not corrosive during that period you refer to (LOL). But yes, that is Radway Green made up in 1952 and they did use corrosive primers then. Mk7 1SAA is ball ammo with cordite propellant. If the cartridges are in good shape, it should be safe to shoot, all things being equal (rifle being up to the task etc.). Good show ol' boy. Happy shooting.

Oh, one other thing, bring it to Harvard for an on the spot inspection if you so desire. We love .303's. Just let us know when you would be arriving. I'll bring some of mine too.

Back
Top Bottom