• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is there any advantage to 12ga over 20ga for trap only (NO HD gun)?

Some say yes and some say no. A 20 gauge is about .62" diameter and a 12 gauge is about .73" A 20 gauge throws about 1/4 to 3/8 oz less lead. Chokes are comparable in terms of pattern density. Those adverse to recoil will like the 20 gauge more. You'll notice the difference some as the clays get out farther depending on where the thrower is compared to where you're shooting. With less lead the pattern will widen more quickly then with a 12 gauge.

You have ~20% fewer pellets in a 20 ga shell, than in a 12. Will you lower your average by 20%? Probably not. Will you have a lower average? Probably

there are very few "real" Trap shooters that use a 20 (look at the hulls on the ground at an ATA event.) There are very few hulls on the ground that had less than 1 1/8 oz. of shot (heaviest legit load).

If you're wanting to shoot Trap "for real" and are sensitive to recoil, use an autoloader. I run an old A5 Works for me.

When you consider that most Registered shoots are decided by <1% (1 target out of 200), you can see that every pellet counts.

The above being said, if you have a 20, shoot it. If you're buying a new gun, get a 12.

Skeeters have a "four-gun" event - 12, 20, 28, .410....because the smaller guns make it more difficult.

You have ~20% fewer pellets in a 20 ga shell, than in a 12. Will you lower your average by 20%? Probably not. Will you have a lower average? Probably

there are very few "real" Trap shooters that use a 20 (look at the hulls on the ground at an ATA event.) There are very few hulls on the ground that had less than 1 1/8 oz. of shot (heaviest legit load).

If you're wanting to shoot Trap "for real" and are sensitive to recoil, use an autoloader. I run an old A5 Works for me.

When you consider that most Registered shoots are decided by <1% (1 target out of 200), you can see that every pellet counts.

The above being said, if you have a 20, shoot it. If you're buying a new gun, get a 12.

Skeeters have a "four-gun" event - 12, 20, 28, .410....because the smaller guns make it more difficult.

I thought the a5 kicks more then most pump guns?

Some say yes and some say no. A 20 gauge is about .62" diameter and a 12 gauge is about .73" A 20 gauge throws about 1/4 to 3/8 oz less lead. Chokes are comparable in terms of pattern density. Those adverse to recoil will like the 20 gauge more. You'll notice the difference some as the clays get out farther depending on where the thrower is compared to where you're shooting. With less lead the pattern will widen more quickly then with a 12 gauge.

Thank you!

I set the recoil mechanism to "Heavy", and most of the hulls don't eject; the big spring around the mag tubes sucks up the energy. Of course, you only get one shot, but that's all you need for singles and 'caps. If you let it fully cycle, yeah, it's got a different recoil impulse, as the whole barrel is coming back.

What MrHappy said is almost everything you need to know. To take it a step further, with a 12ga, you'll always have the option to shoot "low recoil" rounds, or even 1 oz., or 7/8 oz. loads if you desire. But you give up a lot of options with a 20ga.

I set the recoil mechanism to "Heavy", and most of the hulls don't eject; the big spring around the mag tubes sucks up the energy. Of course, you only get one shot, but that's all you need for singles and 'caps. If you let it fully cycle, yeah, it's got a different recoil impulse, as the whole barrel is coming back.

I was watching a YouTube video with the gunny and he made a comment about how it was odd that a semi had more kick then a pump , why I asked . Wasn't sure if it was just cause he's old lol .

Well, it's also how the gun fits you. I find my kid's Browing 725 uncomfortable to shoot, as the stock is tweaked to him. I can do it (24/25), but it's like wearing shoes that don't fit well.

It's the psychology, not just the physics, too.

With normal target loads, and the recoil setting on Heavy, I can do a 200-target match without undue fatigue. I'd never want to do that with a Parker SxS. [laugh]

Out of the 3 12ga I own the 1100 with magnum receiver and 2 3/4 barrel definitely shoots the lightests, even with Nitros. Just with no but padding at all you have to hold it against your shoulder or the sharp corners on the back of the stock will sting you. The normal 2 3/4 1100 is a very close second. My tacticool AR shotty is significantly lighter than either and have a bit more oomph in the gas system but it doesnt seem to recoil all that hard either but it has a significant amount of built in butt pad.

On the 12 vs 20, I'd always pick the 12, I like to make sure there's no chance of my equipment holding me back.

Depends on the load used, the weight of the pump gun, and Like mr happy said....how u set up the friction ring on the a5. With target loads i find my pump gun to have more recoil than my a5.....my pump is a relatively light mossy 500. Lots of variables. Additionally i think i "feel" more recoil on the pump because my face is down on the comb more.....transfering some movement to my cheek. With the a5 my face is higher due to the hump back desing. Only way to find the gun thAt feels right for youbis to get out and shoot some.

There are only two situations were a 20 might be preferable over a 12 for wing or clay shooting.

Those situations are: (1) reduced recoil out of a 20 gauge gun built on a 12 gauge frame (though those guns sometimes handle worse)
(2) as an easier handling gun when built on a proper/ reduced dimension 20 gauge frame and barrel blank.

In the old days, the balance between those is where a 16 would have come in nicely, with a 1 ounce payload and often built on a reduced frame gun (or as with the early 870s, on with 12 gauge frame paired with a 20 barrel blank). For whatever reason, 1 ounce in a 16 patterns very nicely- though 16 falls outside the rules for skeet and trap has always been dominated by the 12.

If somebody really was recoil conscious, they could easily shift loads with a 12 instead. There are enough options out there that you should be able to satisfy anyone. I don't shoot clay too often. The added weight of the 12 gauge gun will only make the recoil sensitive happier.

This can be subjective let's say your shooting 1 oz target loads at 1150 fps. It matter not what gun it's shot out of its the same velocity and lead weight....
Now compare the guns. 20 gauge guns on average are lighter than 12 gauge....so the 20 gauge will have more free energy slamming back at you. Toss in a ill fitting gun and recoil is worse no matter what gun.

I have essentially match 311 shotguns one 12 the other 20.....if I you didn't know which gun you shoulder I would bet you think the 20g is a 12g with magnums loads.

I bought a 20g insert for my 12g trap gun to shoot the 20g club shoot. I shot my average also shot my first 99....
1 was using 20g 1oz #8s

by using 7/8 loads you just made your 12 into a 20.

Not so much..... when lead shot went to over 50$ bag and cheap shells where 9$ box I reloaded 7/8 loads for my trap gun and shot some of my most consistent and highest scores....took the over all club league win with a 10 weak league best 2 scores a week. I shot only 2 rounds per week and scored 489/500 with 3 50 straight... my bad scores where do to my poor eye sight at night.

So if you shoot a 20g with 1 1/8 loads does it make it a 12g ?
There's a,old timer at our club that used to show up with a 410 shoot 50 straight and go home.
I picked his brain and he said see the bird get a dead bird and the shot has to go where your looking.

In the end I learned that seeing that hold point , where you look at each station and follow through increased my scores more than any gun or load I tried.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom