Is it worth it to make my Carbine Semi-Matching?

For reasons unexplained, I found myself sitting at my workbench this evening detail stripping my M-1 Carbine. So as I took down the sub groups and wiped off each part I was struck by the number of manufacturers whose parts make up my Inland. All the parts I would need to replace are easy ones (Skill wise not money wise). The Barrel and receiver are obviously Inland, the rest of the rifle is a mix with some inland mixed in. So I got to thinking that maybe I should make a list of all the Non-Inland parts on the gun, and over time start picking up the correct parts and eventually have an all Inland rifle. After I logged on tonight I did a quick search and have come to the realization that this will be a long and expensive process. I'm looking at more then doubling what I have into this rifle, and not gaining any performance. So I was just curious what you guys on NES thought. If it was your rifle would you do it, and why?

ETA: I refer to this as making the rifle Semi-Matching, because the parts do not come from one rifle. Hence calling it all matching would be misleading IMNSHO.

Some people strive for a "correct" gun when it comes to parts. Its all in how you feel about the rifle.
Guys like Tim (MajSpud) scour the net for correct parts to get every last piece to match. It takes dedication and $$ but is worth it in the collector's eye.
Myself if I had time and cash, I'd probably get parts for what few guns I do have that are missmatched.
As it is I'm happy right now to find correct slings and accessories.

I think it would be cool - even if it doesn't improve accuracy performance or even value. I just think it's neat. Buy a part here, swap for a part there - hell trading parts might get you far with little dough involved. How's that for a non technical opinion? [cheers]

Making a milsurp "correct" but not original is fun. I did it with my M1911 and I'm very happy with it.

However, it is my understanding that all carbines left the factory with some mixed parts as no single company may all the parts. In other words and "all inland" would not only be incorrect but not possible.

Am I wrong? Now I gotta look into this as I'm questioning my own statements.[rolleyes]

ETA: My memory did not fail me. I was right for a change. You can find the full article here.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1Carbine.htm

Something a Carbine newbie should know....none of the primary contractors made ALL of the parts for these handy firearms. Best among the prime contractors was Underwood-Elliot-Fisher, which made 35 of the M1 Carbine's 55-58 parts in its Hartford and Bridgeport, Conn., plants. At the other end of the spectrum, Quality Hardware made only receivers, depending upon government supplied parts and parts from other contractors and sub-contractors from which its guns were assembled.

Subcontractors involved in the carbine program number in the hundreds, and made everything from pins and springs to receivers and barrels.

The U.S. Cal. .30 Carbine was designed from day one as a true "mixed parts" military firearm....carrying the "any part from any source will fit" philosophy of the U.S. Rifle, Cal. .30, M1....the M1 Garand....one step further.

Last edited:
What parts are you looking to replace? I have six carbines (not including stripped receivers) and many have mismatched parts. Perhaps we could have a swap list or something.

What parts are you looking to replace? I have six carbines (not including stripped receivers) and many have mismatched parts. Perhaps we could have a swap list or something.

That's not a bad Idea, maybe start a parts swap thread. Now I just need to compile a list and get it posted.

My M-1 Garand is an H&R that I got from the CMP North store ( Camp Perry ) when I was there in 2005. If I was to correct all the " mistakes " that the rifle has, I could ask $ 1400 or so for the rifle. The problem is that price will only be paid by someone who collects these. I'm not a collector - I shoot my guns and I'll let the next person that gets it after me worry about correct.

I wouldn't worry about about it unless you plan on selling it or you just want to say that it is a correct weapon to your buddies.

Joe R.

matching parts?

Someone mention me?

I am awaiting two K98 stocks from the Netherlands. I have two RC's whose actions are obviously mismatched to their stocks, and most of the parts. I bought these RC's for their special historical significance. The Germans were great about stamping their small parts with manufacturer codes (Waffenamts, or WaA) and serial numbers. For Mausers at least, the more parts that match, the more the rifle is worth. One rifle is the first year production S/42G (Mauser/Obendorf) for which I found a correct walnut Weimar eagle WaA63 (Obendorf) marked stock. The other is a mid war 1943 SS marked bnz/Steyr/Austria Mauser, whose trigger guard has a "S" rune indicating slave labor from the Mauthausen concentration camp complex at Gusen, a SS run subassembly line to the Steyr factory. For me, this is a reminder of the Holocaust. For that rifle I found a correct WaA623/Steyr stock, also walnut, whose serial number is only 817 off from my action. Both stocks have metal that matches the serial number and WaA. The WaA63 stock has eleven metal parts with matching serial numbers and WaA's. I found rear sight leafs from Numrich in the correct WaA's for each at only $18 each with my FFL3/C&R license discount. I also am waiting for an original sling for the SS rifle that is marked WaA101, Stuttgart, which is only a three hour drive from Steyr.

While a rifle is worth as much as someone will pay for it, to me as a milsurp collector, the more original and correct the piece is the more it is worth to me. As my gun closet is full, it is another way to keep active in my collection and improve it less expensively that a whole rifle. Although the two stocks cost as much as a very good RC themselves, I hope to make 2/3 of the cost back by reselling my old stocks on eBay, where good original K98 stocks are going between $150 and $300.

MajSpud

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom