Is It Me??????

And just try throwing your smartphone at your kid for mouthing off. $900 down the drain and a visit by DYS. The old MA Bell rotary phones were made to last, not only could they leave a grapefruit sized knot on a forehead for a lesson well learned, you also use the cord and tie the little b@stard up if anyone came the the door to see what was going on.

Don't even get me started on today's crappy music.

Sent from State Prison with contraband cellphone.

Funniest post I've read all day. Thank you. Now I have to go put my pants in the washing machine.

My younger daughter graduates in 21 months. We're (Lady Radtekk and I) moving the next day. She's looking forward to it, I just deposited a mileage reimbursement check into a dedicated "moving funds" account. Watch for the ar/ak/mag sale.

Wow, same here. Our youngest daughter just started junior year, and as soon as she's off to college, we're gone shortly after.

I must be turning in to a crotchety old geezer......seems like EVERYTHING is now a disappointment:

You're on the hedonic treadmill. We live incomparably better than most people through human history and life still sucks.

Two of the most enjoyable experiences of my life were a 30 second hot shower in a field shower and a plate of hot food from an Army kitchen....after I'd spent nine solid days soaking wet running around and digging holes in Germany's Eiffel Forest. I still remember how good that food tasted.

The "good old days might seem nostalgic and enviable to live in but even with the I gotta be there yesterday mentality I'll still take living now rather than the 50s thru the 70s. I tend to rant about the rudeness of people,kids who think the world owes them something and with the IQ of a house plant and so on but we live a veritable paradise compared to our parents and grandparents.

Obviously you are under 30 and certainly under 40 years of age. You don't remember a time when the listed things above didn't exist to any great degree if at all.
If a 20 something was giving an 89 year old lady a hard time in a parking lot when I was growing up, he'd be picking his teeth up off the ground after being pummeled by any number of people within sight of it.

But it is still you

his grandmother must be a nice women. My grandmother would be in jail these days as she would not take any of the shit going on... at minimum my grndmother would have stuck her cane just below the rib line.....and i can tell you that hurts.

It's not you. I must say though that my wife and I have been in NH for five years now. That said, I truly feel that the clock has been turned back as far as the behavior of people. The whole feel of life here reminds me of what life used to be like many years ago in Ma. The young crowd at least to my wife and I, have been very courteous and always helpful. They hold a door and say, after you sir and say thank you when you return the favor. It is the rule and not some rare exception btw. I have not been in a traffic jam in years lol but maybe a couple of times when we head to the "big city". But even so no one is in such a hurry that they feel the need to cut you off, ride up your azz, flip you the bird etc., unless it's some m*******.[wink] Everything else is the same, we get the same cheap jeans and Chinese junk but the lifestyle makes up for it. Your place is your place and you can do pretty much what you feel like with it without some nosey azz neighbor or "official" telling you different. Dare I say even the cops have a different mindset and don't have an elitist attitude and are friendly and engaging.[shocked] You are treated like an adult and allowed to live your life and make decisions as you see fit and not the way some liberal elitist type ahole thinks it should be done.. I guess I know the later mindset will eventually creep in but I don't think I'll be around to see it thankfully. Did I tell ya we love NH![smile]

I must be turning in to a crotchety old geezer......seems like EVERYTHING is now a disappointment:

• Clothes are made flimsier and cheaper - take a look a jeans
  • Grocery stores have marginal fresh products - Big Y is a poster child for this
  • Health care is a giant scam, and getting super expensive - A $13,000 deductible? Seriously?
  • Lots of people lack basic manners - a 20 something guy hassled my 89 year old mother over a parking spot....and she is handicapped
  • The traffic planners don't commute on the roads they plan, and there is gridlock everywhere - Mass Pike?
  • Roadside trash is everywhere - My street is a trash dump
  • Everyone is in a super hurry - Speed limits? We don't pay any attention to speed limit!

It just goes on and on......hard not to be disappointed.

Things just suck worse all the time.....good luck to the younger generation....you are going to need it!

If it is you, then you have company!

That rant is weak sauce; the options that are available to you now in all the categories listed are endless, but you have deal with the trade-offs

You can get great fitting, quality clothes that are made in the USA and will last – but you have to pay considerably more for that quality than the clothes made in a 3rd World sweatshop. The variety of fresh produce available is staggering and you don’t have to even spend that much for it – but you do have to seek it out (Russo’s in Watertown…’nuff said).

Healthcare access/affordability, the decline of polite society and infrastructure obsolesce are results of disruptive changes in technology and the inability of people, govt and institutions to keep up with those changes.

Instead of dying off early, people are living longer and increasingly putting demands on healthcare structures – that cost money. Add in the restrictions on free market healthcare (some I agree with / others not) and regulatory / insurance burdens and you are paying a f’k ton of money.

The lack of intergenerational family units results in people who are utterly at a loss at communicating with folks more than 20 yrs older/younger than themselves. That compounds the impact when Nanna (who shouldn’t be driving, but wont give up her license cause otherwise she is housebound) interacts with a self-centered teen who cannot fathom anyone having that slow of a reaction time.

And mass transportation designs from the Eisenhower Administration just aren’t scaled for the amt and type of vehicles available today – plus those roads were constructed without environmental impact stmts, community outreach, historical commission oversights, etc. And the folks being in a hurry has always been true – one of my favorite Flintstone cartoons from the 60’s had Fred winning the Indianrockpolis 500 race because he drove like a man during rush-hour

Things are always getting better, just not always in our immediate orbit. I have this discussion with my 83 yr old parents all the time; who forget that even though things cost less “back in the day” – as a percentage of income they were still pretty damn expensive and had very limited product / service choices

That rant is weak sauce; the options that are available to you now in all the categories listed are endless, but you have deal with the trade-offs

You can get great fitting, quality clothes that are made in the USA and will last – but you have to pay considerably more for that quality than the clothes made in a 3rd World sweatshop. The variety of fresh produce available is staggering and you don’t have to even spend that much for it – but you do have to seek it out (Russo’s in Watertown…’nuff said).

Healthcare access/affordability, the decline of polite society and infrastructure obsolesce are results of disruptive changes in technology and the inability of people, govt and institutions to keep up with those changes.

Instead of dying off early, people are living longer and increasingly putting demands on healthcare structures – that cost money. Add in the restrictions on free market healthcare (some I agree with / others not) and regulatory / insurance burdens and you are paying a f’k ton of money.

The lack of intergenerational family units results in people who are utterly at a loss at communicating with folks more than 20 yrs older/younger than themselves. That compounds the impact when Nanna (who shouldn’t be driving, but wont give up her license cause otherwise she is housebound) interacts with a self-centered teen who cannot fathom anyone having that slow of a reaction time.

And mass transportation designs from the Eisenhower Administration just aren’t scaled for the amt and type of vehicles available today – plus those roads were constructed without environmental impact stmts, community outreach, historical commission oversights, etc. And the folks being in a hurry has always been true – one of my favorite Flintstone cartoons from the 60’s had Fred winning the Indianrockpolis 500 race because he drove like a man during rush-hour

Things are always getting better, just not always in our immediate orbit. I have this discussion with my 83 yr old parents all the time; who forget that even though things cost less “back in the day” – as a percentage of income they were still pretty damn expensive and had very limited product / service choices

The single handed most annoying thing to me about older generations is the "cost less back in the day" argument. It such an obnoxiously simplistic way of thinking that it 2 seconds you can pull it apart with an inflation calculator. Better yet if you actually explain it and research the item it usually cost MORE than it would in today's dollars.

Back
Top Bottom