Is appendix carry safe in a car crash?

Hello,

I carry a Kahr appendix at about 1 oclock (to the left of my right pocket and leg).

I worry about what would happen if I were to get into a serious car accident while belted and carrying in this position.

I have seen some pretty bad bruising from belts and figure in a car crash the firearm would at least break the floating rips and could definitely do some damage to the underlying organs (bowels, bladder... IDK what else).

Does anyone have any solutions for where to position for driving/do you remove your firearm?

I thought about switching it to ankle carry when I get in the car but ruled that out because it means I have to draw and reholster in the dark, blind, with a steering wheel in my face. I could always just pull the holster off and set it in the console... but this has similar risks and is equally as conspicuous.

Has anyone every come across any research on the potential risks of this or heard stories from EMS that have encountered injuries due to this mode of carry?

Thanks

As long as the firearm didn't go off due to some kind of AD, I can't imagine it would do any serious damage beyond bruising in a minor car crash.
I feel like by the time you get to the point where the firearm could potentially do significant injury to yourself in a car crash, you'd have other more practical things to worry in terms of injury.

not sure if it would relate to more serious injuries or not, theoretically the belt is applying the pressure to your body to produce the injuries you mentioned, with something in the way like a holstered firearm it adds to the equation a firmer surface but also a more spread-out one

interesting question, I too am curious as I appendix carry a sig 239

Having died in an auto accident in 1982, while carrying an AMT backup in my rear right pocket, I can unequivocally tell you EVERYTHING is subject to the laws of physics. And everything goes flying through the air inside the vehicle. The AMT landed on the drivers floor, the entire interior of the vehicle is destroyed. this at 30mph

To solve the potential injury caused from the seatbelt locking up and driving the holstered firearm in to your guy, just dont buckle :)

honestly i think it depends on the position your seat is in, the size of the gun, size of your belly, many things are a factor. If you sit straight up I can see this causing more internal bruising with a larger firearm than a small, and ever more so if you have your seat tilted back. When I drive while carrying appendix, my seat is tilted just a bit more back to take the pressure off my sternum, i carry a full size 45 aiwb and its pretty comfortable while driving.

Having died in an auto accident in 1982, while carrying an AMT backup in my rear right pocket, I can unequivocally tell you EVERYTHING is subject to the laws of physics. And everything goes flying through the air inside the vehicle. The AMT landed on the drivers floor, the entire interior of the vehicle is destroyed. this at 30mph

Excuse my ignorance but what is an AMT? Also you never clarified whether you resurrected or if they have NES in gun heaven. JK it was confusing though.

Not totally on topic, but this thread reminded me of something I learned in one of Jon Green's courses. If you appendix carry in the car, you should make sure any outer garments and untucked shirts are pulled up and over the lap belt after you buckle up. Otherwise it's harder to get to your gun if you need to draw while seated. Maybe not a great revelation to some people, but I thought it was a good tip FWIW.

I've seen some pretty good injuries from the seat belt alone - renal lacerations, bowel injury, etc. I appendix carry about half the time, and the way the hand grip and slide push upwards puts a bit of pressure on my abdomen in a seated position even without a seat belt on. In a forward crash with a seatbelt, I could absolutely see it causing additional damage. Unless it's a short drive, I always take it off and put it in the door.

seems to me that it would focus a large percentage of the force that would be otherwise distributed across the whole lap portion of the belt, so yes, I would expect it to potentially cause significantly more damage than if it weren't there.

Dare I say nothing is a given in a car crash. Hopefully someone sees this and remembers to keep us in the loop if they're ever in a crash while plying the appendix carry.

Excuse my ignorance but what is an AMT? Also you never clarified whether you resurrected or if they have NES in gun heaven. JK it was confusing though.

350px-AMT_BackupRight.jpg

"you know those paddles they use on that TV show 'Emergency' "?
yeah
"we used those on you......twice!"

I have been using the 3 to 3:30 o clock position. It stays in the space created next to the seat belt buckle and seat. Its also waay more comfortable that getting a barrel and grip jabbed into the front of me every time i get in, while in, and get out of my truck (plus tying boot laces, picking something up from below waist level, etc.) It seemed weird at first putting it right on my hip bone but it works. And comfortably

254726.jpg

I switch from IWB to OWB at 3 o'clock. It's comfy and with a little practice you can unbuckle with the left hand and draw with the right hand all in a smooth motion.

In a wreck the firearm shouldn't be a factor.

Sent from the depths of Hell using TapaTalk

Hello,

I carry a Kahr appendix at about 1 oclock (to the left of my right pocket and leg).

you should be fine.

12:30 or 1:30 would be certain demise, but 1:00 should JUST miss all the vital stuff.

as for unholstering and reholstering in the dark: that's a skill EVERYONE should master. I usually practice after the girlfriend goes to bed. makes threat assessment a lot more realistic.

Back
Top Bottom